The Student Room Group

Essex to charge £9000 fees alongside Oxford and Imperial

Scroll to see replies

The only way is Essex.
Essex is predominantly a research-oriented University. As a 1st year undergraduate studying Biological Sciences at this University, I've seen first hand how amazing and profound the quality of research is. Currently ranked 9th in the U.K for research, Essex needs a way of holding this position (and maybe even rising in the ranks). Keeping the annual tuition fee as it is at the moment would be foolish. Why would they not charge more to keep the reputation of a top 10 research institution?
Anybody who hasn't witnessed the fantastic education at Essex can not say that it's "below average". I've been studying at this University for 6 months and I can safely say that I am 110% happy with the level of education. Furthermore, the increase of tuition fees will put Essex higher in the U.K rankings and will in turn reflect Essex's world-renowned teaching.
One more thing. ALL Universities offer so called "Mickey Mouse" degrees. Whilst watching the Oxford/Cambridge boat race on television today and seeing one of the rowers studying "The Social Studies of the Internet" just proves this.
Well it was pretty obvious that they Uni's are going to have to charge the maximum when their funding has been cut by 80%
Reply 63
Original post by Dan_Grimmer
Whilst watching the Oxford/Cambridge boat race on television today and seeing one of the rowers studying "The Social Studies of the Internet" just proves this.

Interesting. Don't be too hasty with the Mickey Mouse label though.

At the moment I am examining the role of media literacy and social media networks in the pro-democracy movements across North Africa, and how that fits with new media technologies circumventing the dominant discourse of the propaganda model. The implications for governance worldwide are huge.

It's one of those things that is a great deal more challenging than most people assume.
Grrrrrrr.... Conservative bastards. I'm emigrating (once i've taken advantage of my £3k a year uni course!)
Original post by Dan_Grimmer
Essex is predominantly a research-oriented University. As a 1st year undergraduate studying Biological Sciences at this University, I've seen first hand how amazing and profound the quality of research is. Currently ranked 9th in the U.K for research, Essex needs a way of holding this position (and maybe even rising in the ranks). Keeping the annual tuition fee as it is at the moment would be foolish. Why would they not charge more to keep the reputation of a top 10 research institution?
Anybody who hasn't witnessed the fantastic education at Essex can not say that it's "below average". I've been studying at this University for 6 months and I can safely say that I am 110% happy with the level of education. Furthermore, the increase of tuition fees will put Essex higher in the U.K rankings and will in turn reflect Essex's world-renowned teaching.
One more thing. ALL Universities offer so called "Mickey Mouse" degrees. Whilst watching the Oxford/Cambridge boat race on television today and seeing one of the rowers studying "The Social Studies of the Internet" just proves this.

It makes me feel good now to put Essex as my firm. I have always known that it's amazing for the subject I want to do. Although you are tlaking about different subjetc but it kind of confirm I will get great quality of education from it. I can't wait to go there, to be honest. :smile:
Reply 66
Bit late on this. Only came across it when searching for an Imperial thread (that I wanted to move). Apologies if this kicks off the same arguments :p:

Original post by robinson999
some of the comments on that daily mail site, like essex a old polytechnic,even calling surry a old polytechnic is a bit hard
essex has always been a uni, formed along with many in the 60s known as Plate glass university, don't see any one going ewww york or so on nor Warwick, Lancaster, Bath

Yeah. I wonder if when Warwick announce their fees, the media will be highlight how "new" it is.

But you don't expect numpty journalists to realise that, despite its relatively modest league table position, it is still amongst our leading universities? They wouldn't know what the 1994 Group is if it bit them on the arse (or the elbow). Believing that the Russell Group is the cream (and that York and Durham are in it...)

Original post by storna
How are "entry standards, student satisfaction, staff/student ratio, academic services and facilities expenditure per student, research quality, proportion of Firsts and 2:1s, completion rates and student destinations" not crucial factors? Or at least some of them? Would you honestly be happy to attend a university that had pretty good research but poor teaching standards

As far as I'm aware no university league table takes teaching quality into account. The Guardian in particular try to, by using student satisfaction, but this isn't a particularly objective measure of teaching quality. A better measure is the QAA teaching reports although even these are a bit out of date.

high drop-outs

Doesn't mean to say that the university is poor. This can be massively influenced by the socio-economic status of students. A few years ago Glasgow, a world renowned and Russell Group university, began to wide their intake but taking increasingly large numbers of students from deprived areas. These students were bright enough but, being from a poorer background, are more likely to experience financial difficulty, ill health, or family problems. All of which can result in them needing to drop out regardless of how good the university's support network is.

I can discuss the other criteria, particularly student staff ratio, but, well, I get a bit tired of it :p:

Now, even if we accept the criteria being used in league tables as useful, I can think of a number of other things that can be taken into account. Why don't we include those, too? Most importantly is the problem of weighting. We agree with the criteria, right, but these criteria are weighted in a certain way. What makes this weighting correct?

I have just gone to the Independent's league table and changed the criteria only slightly (placing more of an emphasis on reseach quality and less on entry standards). This has made Essex to significantly climb up the table, it is now just behind the redbricks and Russell Group universities of Sheffield, Leeds, Birmingham and Newcastle.

Finally, even if you do think a university ranking consistantly across the league tables provides some evidence of a university's quality, you still need to recongised that, unlike league tables, the real world doesn't operate in this way. People talk about "top tens" as if eight is better than eighteen. This is despite both universities being strong multi-faculty universites (with an equal share of modest departments), comparable standard of students and facilities. There isn't necessarily some decline in university quality every five places down a league table.

Original post by River85

Oh, as far your "you're not comparing Essex to Durham remark", I'll compare the two. I know which one has the better politics department (away from Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies). It isn't Durham.

That's exactly why I chose Essex for Politics. :biggrin:
some of the comments on that daily mail site, like essex a old polytechnic,even calling surry a old polytechnic is a bit hard
essex has always been a uni, formed along with many in the 60s known as Plate glass university, don't see any one going ewww york or so on nor Warwick, Lancaster, Bath

its one of the countries good unis, punches way above its weight in terms of its size, a top 10 uni for its research, a uni that has departments that rank with Oxbridge and above

just because its Essex don't rule it out, its in the 1994 group as well, which will pretty much charge the full £9k, every uni that is in the group

the daily mail really need to learn something here

Lancaster isn't that great so I wouldn't hold your breathe, definitely not an elite university. Warwick and Bath are both excellent though. I would love to go to either.
Original post by alexs2602
Lancaster isn't that great so I wouldn't hold your breathe, definitely not an elite university. Warwick and Bath are both excellent though. I would love to go to either.

but why, is that because the views of others, or what you have seem from a newspaper

what is a elite uni one that has been open for 100's of years
Reply 70
but why, is that because the views of others, or what you have seem from a newspaper

what is a elite uni one that has been open for 100's of years

Warrick's 'elite' yet its only been around for less.

Basically its just reputation, what employers will know as a good place to get a degree from. Its also based on where all the cutting edge stuff is coming out, so in science, a place which constantly produces good research will get a good rep, and its where the research money goes. You know that some places actually are better when you hear so much about what is being developed at Stanford or MIT or UCL or whatever.
(edited 13 years ago)
LOL you idiots, Essex can charge 9k 'coz of the girls, simply that. Nobody's gonna pay £9k for the education lol, it's a middle of the road uni. £9k is hilarious, people were paying £1k a year for Ox/Cam/IC/LSE a few years ago. Essex = women, so people will pay it. Remember, the only way is ...
Original post by Physics Enemy
LOL you idiots, Essex can charge 9k 'coz of the girls, simply that. Nobody's gonna pay £9k for the education lol, it's a middle of the road uni. £9k is hilarious, people were paying £1k a year for Ox/Cam/IC/LSE a few years ago. Essex = women, so people will pay it. Remember, the only way is ...

Oh really? :O

STFU and GTFO
Original post by Jacke02
Warrick's 'elite' yet its only been around for less.

Basically its just reputation, what employers will know as a good place to get a degree from. Its also based on where all the cutting edge stuff is coming out, so in science, a place which constantly produces good research will get a good rep, and its where the research money goes. You know that some places actually are better when you hear so much about what is being developed at Stanford or MIT or UCL or whatever.

most employers outside off law and banking don't really place alot on where your degree is from

they get more money and are more of a name, unis work with each other, a few people at UCL work with essex staff, even one of my modules is taught by UCL lecturer

if you say constantly produces good research why not think of essex than
Reply 74
Original post by Physics Enemy

People don't go to Essex uni for the girls. They go because it's near enough to east London for the chavs to go back home at the weekends.
Reply 75
most employers outside off law and banking don't really place alot on where your degree is from

they get more money and are more of a name, unis work with each other, a few people at UCL work with essex staff, even one of my modules is taught by UCL lecturer

if you say constantly produces good research why not think of essex than

I don't know anything about essex, but from what i've heard its pretty much one of the elite unis. Not to the same extent as UCL but still really good, along with places like York.

By definition there can only be 4-5 "elite" universities- although they may not be the best for some untraditional courses i.e. media or marketing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Joke will be on them when market forces start to take effect...
Reply 77
Yes Essex is charging such fees alongside the 'elite' unis, but it is far from the only one to do so. It's more of a question as to whether universities which aren't going to provide the same level of teaching that the elite ones do should be able to charge the same price, don't view Essex in isolation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jacke02
I don't know anything about essex, but from what i've heard its pretty much one of the elite unis. Not to the same extent as UCL but still really good, along with places like York.

By definition there can only be 4-5 "elite" universities- although they may not be the best for some untraditional courses i.e. media or marketing.

i dunno about being one of the elite, it maybe good or up there :p:

its the untraditional courses that get bad press sadly
(edited 13 years ago)
People don't go to Essex uni for the girls. They go because it's near enough to east London for the chavs to go back home at the weekends.

You moron. If you think chavs have the ability to get into University, I think you need to remodel your view on the world. Just because a few people who attend Essex are from London doesn't mean they're chavs. And yes, I do mean a FEW. There are far more international students at Essex than your so called "chav" label. So if I was you I would shut up slating off a University you've clearly never been too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending