The Student Room Group

Emergency news - america drops uranium bombs in libiya

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jismith1989
Funny how it's only reported on the Iranian state propaganda organ, isn't it?

The only news channel to show the murders in palestine, bahrain, and the middle eastern revolution.

How is it propaganda when it is fact?:s-smilie: They've dropped the nukes
:rofl: America dropping uranium bombs.... ha, likely story.
Reply 42
Original post by sixthformer

The report comes as the Western forces claim the operation in Libya is aimed at protecting civilians.

Director of the US military's Joint Staff Bill Gortney has told reporters at a Pentagon briefing that he is not aware of any use of depleted uranium munitions in Libya.

The air strikes are targetting weapons stores, no civilians have been killed.

Libya says at least 114 people -- many of them civilians -- have been killed in US-led airstrikes in the country.

"We are losing many lives, military and civilians," Libyan government Spokesman Mussa Ibrahim said in Tripoli.

Dozens of civilians have been killed in Libya since US-led forces launched aerial and sea attacks on the North African country.

Lol, because we all believe what Mussa Ibrahim says. You do realize ambulances were paid to drive around in circles in Tripoli with their sirens on when they are bombed? And that the graves of those killed by Libyan security in Zawya were dug up and used by Libyan state TV to claim the coalition had hit civilians? Or did you believe Mussa Kussa when he declared a ceasefire?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12870684

The Libyan officials have lost all credibility.
Reply 43
Original post by Straight up G
I hate America.

America hates you generalising fag
For Goodness sake, google it, it is true.

BBC and SKY won't tell you about it BECAUSE we are in the coalition!

Use your head

Are you that ****ing retarded?
I can google creationism and find 100's of pages on it. Doesn't mean its real, or actually happened.
Reply 45
The only news channel to show the murders in palestine, bahrain, and the middle eastern revolution.

:facepalm2:

Well, why are no Libyan organisations reporting any such thing? Even Gadaffi-owned media outlets aren't reporting anything of the sort.
Ok, go to BBC and find me ONE articles of the protests in Bahrain, that don't support the armies brutally murdering the protestors?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12535681

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12495733

That was easy.
(mod, i know i have other threads, you can merge this if you like, but let it be fresh for an hour please? it is BIG NEWS

US drops uranium bombs on Libya

The Stop the War Coalition says the bombs and missiles that the US-led military alliance has dropped on several Libyan cities contain depleted uranium (DU).

The report recently published on the Coalition's website said that in the first 24 hours of the war on Libya, dozens of bombs and cruise missiles were launched by US, British, and French forces -- all with depleted uranium warheads.

US B-2 aircraft dropped forty-five 2,000-pound bombs on key Libyan cities, it added.

DU munitions are controversial because they raise long-term health concerns like kidney damage, cancer, skin disorders and genetic defects.

"[Depleted uranium tipped missiles] fit the description of a dirty bomb in every way... I would say that it is the perfect weapon for killing lots of people," said Marion Falk, chemical physicist (retd.), Lawrence Livermore Lab in California.

The report comes as the Western forces claim the operation in Libya is aimed at protecting civilians.

Director of the US military's Joint Staff Bill Gortney has told reporters at a Pentagon briefing that he is not aware of any use of depleted uranium munitions in Libya.

Libya says at least 114 people -- many of them civilians -- have been killed in US-led airstrikes in the country.

"We are losing many lives, military and civilians," Libyan government Spokesman Mussa Ibrahim said in Tripoli.

Dozens of civilians have been killed in Libya since US-led forces launched aerial and sea attacks on the North African country.

Libyan troops have also killed thousands of civilians since a revolution started against Colonel Gaddafi in mid-February.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/171881.html

Hilarious, really, considering that you even misspelled Libya in your post title.
Reply 49

'Lollywood'

However, it is not just opponents of the regime displaying new talents.

Some would argue that the country's state-owned television channels have recently lifted the "iron curtain" on directors and actors who have long been absent from the scene.
Libyan women hold pictures of Col Gaddafi. Photo: 24 March 2011 Col Gaddafi has vociferous supporters

They marvel at the footage being displayed claiming there have been civilian casualties in coalition air strikes in Tripoli.

There was one scenario on Wednesday night that seemed particularly suspicious. It showed one woman - with only her back in view shouting and screaming over the debris.

This was accompanied by other short scenes of security officials closing the doors of an ambulance and telling the driver to go. Look closer and you will notice the faintest of smirks edging across the face of one of the emergency personnel.

The scenes on television of the funerals have also come under scrutiny. What stands out the most perhaps is the absence of emotion - usually a key element of any funeral here.

"They are making a mockery out of death... this is like an inferior version of Hollywood. It's Lollywood!" one friend says in disbelief and anger as he watches the screen.

There is still no clear picture on whether there have been any civilian casualties as a result of the coalition strikes; but there certainly hasn't been any talk of any on the streets of Tripoli amongst the people.

Death is very public knowledge here: under normal circumstances, residents are not only told of people who have died in Tripoli - whom they have often never heard of - but even in cities farther afield.

The dozens of civilian casualties being claimed by the government would hardly go unnoticed.

That's Libyan TV for you.
(edited 13 years ago)

When did DU become Nukes? What part of depleted do you find hard to understand?
Reply 51
I thought Depleted Uranium was used in anti-armour rounds. For example in the A-10 Warthog Thunderbolt II. 30mm rounds that pierced tank armour. I didn't know they were used as penetration heads for air-to-ground ordnance.

Also, a B-2? I, again, thought they were rarely used. Meh, still.

It'll be interesting to see the impact this has.
Reply 52
How dumb are you people?

Depleted Uranium munitions are not "nukes" and they're not bombs.

What are they?

What's a characteristic of Uranium? It's very heavy.

What's a characteristic of tanks? They have a lot of thick metal armour.

How do you shoot through that armour?

You put something very heavy on the end of your bullets.....like depleted Uranium.

It's been part of anti-tank weapons for decades, used by dozens of nations.

It does not blow up, and it's about as radioactive as the smoke detector in your hallway.

But you don't care about that, do you? All that matters to you is that in some way, shape or form, America is wrong.
Reply 53
For Goodness sake, google it, it is true.

BBC and SKY won't tell you about it BECAUSE we are in the coalition!

Use your head

I googled it.

The first link was the press TV one.

The second link was this thread.

Doesn't look like anybody else is reporting it...
Original post by DH-Biker
I thought Depleted Uranium was used in anti-armour rounds. For example in the A-10 Warthog Thunderbolt II. 30mm rounds that pierced tank armour. I didn't know they were used as penetration heads for air-to-ground ordnance.

Also, a B-2? I, again, thought they were rarely used. Meh, still.

It'll be interesting to see the impact this has.

You're 100% correct! DU rounds are very common in anti-armour as you say. Uranium is perfect for smashing through heavy armour, simply because its so dense! The fact they use DEPLETED uranium speaks volumes, but maybe op is loco?
And for every report saying they are detrimental to human health, there is another saying there are negligible effects (other than the fact they are a bullet :redface:)
But I have seen a few reports saying B2 have flown from Whiteman air base.
(edited 13 years ago)
(mod, i know i have other threads, you can merge this if you like, but let it be fresh for an hour please? it is BIG NEWS

US drops uranium bombs on Libya

The Stop the War Coalition says the bombs and missiles that the US-led military alliance has dropped on several Libyan cities contain depleted uranium (DU).

The report recently published on the Coalition's website said that in the first 24 hours of the war on Libya, dozens of bombs and cruise missiles were launched by US, British, and French forces -- all with depleted uranium warheads.

US B-2 aircraft dropped forty-five 2,000-pound bombs on key Libyan cities, it added.

DU munitions are controversial because they raise long-term health concerns like kidney damage, cancer, skin disorders and genetic defects.

"[Depleted uranium tipped missiles] fit the description of a dirty bomb in every way... I would say that it is the perfect weapon for killing lots of people," said Marion Falk, chemical physicist (retd.), Lawrence Livermore Lab in California.

Libyan troops have also killed thousands of civilians since a revolution started against Colonel Gaddafi in mid-February.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/171881.html

I don't believe this at all, press TV/stop the war obviously has their own agenda when it comes to reporting on issues like this. Don't you have any sources which aren't clearly biased?
Original post by Tfaska
The air strikes are targetting weapons stores, no civilians have been killed.

Lol, because we all believe what Mussa Ibrahim says. You do realize ambulances were paid to drive around in circles in Tripoli with their sirens on when they are bombed? And that the graves of those killed by Libyan security in Zawya were dug up and used by Libyan state TV to claim the coalition had hit civilians? Or did you believe Mussa Kussa when he declared a ceasefire?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12870684

The Libyan officials have lost all credibility.

It's also good to know his full name is actually Mussa Ibrahim Gaddafi, cousin of the tyrannical mass murderer and personal spokesman/liar
Reply 57
are u on day release?
Reply 58
@ OP:

:facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2:

Get a grip.
Reply 59
depleted uranium bomb, not like the one in korishima, however, very very deadly.

Where the **** is 'Korishima'?

And yes, it is deadly.It's a bomb.

_Kar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending