The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Just going to jump in here...I'm thinking of going catered, anyone got any opinions on that? Know if the food is decent or?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 681
The food list is the accommodation website, I didn't think it was that great!
I don't want to fatten up eating pizza every day.
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
I have a question... are the 50 odd week lets only available to postgraduates? Only my course is about 50 weeks long and I'll be an undergraduate.... does this mean I'll have to find alternative accommodation for the last 8/9 weeks of my first year?

I'm so sorry - I missed that one :redface:

Are you doing a healthcare course? (radigraphy, midwifery, nursing etc?) If so, it's not usually a problem - most people will go into private accommodation in their second year and most private lets start on July 1. Our contracts (the self-catered ones) run until just after July 1 so you can just move all your stuff over into your private place. And if you do decide that you want university accommodation in your second year (or if you're going to move somewhere that you can't move into until later) then we can offer you somewhere over the summer (although you may have to move rooms)
We try and put healthcare students together in halls because, as well as less summer holidays, you also get less christmas and easter holidays and it can be a bit dismal if everyone else in your flat/block has gone home for the holidays and you're stuck on your own.
Reply 683
Original post by accomoffice
-

Last question.........not promising :tongue:

If none of the factors count for JB, how do you decide who goes in and who doesn't then?
Reply 684
Original post by bretters

At least you have the Edge gym! Haha
Original post by bretters

Where does it say you have pizza every day? This is the info about the catering for the campus halls http://www.leeds.ac.uk/catering/mealplan.htm
Reply 686
Original post by AllofThelights

Original post by AllofThelights
Hey i'm thinking about Ellerslie Hall, has anyone heard anything about it? :smile:

me to! Thought it looked awsome but need to find out if social scene there is good...
I'm so sorry - I missed that one :redface:

Are you doing a healthcare course? (radigraphy, midwifery, nursing etc?) If so, it's not usually a problem - most people will go into private accommodation in their second year and most private lets start on July 1. Our contracts (the self-catered ones) run until just after July 1 so you can just move all your stuff over into your private place. And if you do decide that you want university accommodation in your second year (or if you're going to move somewhere that you can't move into until later) then we can offer you somewhere over the summer (although you may have to move rooms)
We try and put healthcare students together in halls because, as well as less summer holidays, you also get less christmas and easter holidays and it can be a bit dismal if everyone else in your flat/block has gone home for the holidays and you're stuck on your own.

Thank you :smile: sounds like I'd move out in July to a private place then... yes, I'll (hopefully!) be doing a healthcare course, so it's good to hear I'll be placed with people in a smiliar situation as well :smile:
Original post by dmz
Last question.........not promising :tongue:

If none of the factors count for JB, how do you decide who goes in and who doesn't then?

By which people fit best in individual rooms according to the designated attributes. So if it's trying to decide between 20 girls, it will pick the one that matches all 4 discretionary attributes as well as the 4 mandatory. And if theres more than 1 that does, I've absolutely no idea - I guess that's just down to luck. We certainly haven't told it to prioritise particular people over others.
I have resorted to street view on Googlemaps...CD is now ruled out.
Reply 690
By which people fit best in individual rooms according to the designated attributes. So if it's trying to decide between 20 girls, it will pick the one that matches all 4 discretionary attributes as well as the 4 mandatory. And if theres more than 1 that does, I've absolutely no idea - I guess that's just down to luck. We certainly haven't told it to prioritise particular people over others.

Thanks, but it seems all down to luck then, depending on who else applies
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
I have resorted to street view on Googlemaps...CD is now ruled out.

I'm gonna make it a back up, JB it is. No more change of mind!
Original post by dmz

I'm gonna make it a back up, JB it is. No more change of mind!

Standard or en-suite? I'm considering it...it's just the price that makes me cringe :colonhash:
Reply 692
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
Standard or en-suite? I'm considering it...it's just the price that makes me cringe :colonhash:

en-suite, 3 people doesn't feel very social. I know what you mean, but guess we had to be broke at some point :sigh:
Reply 693
-

Me again :redface:

you know how you have prices like £106-£117, what makes the difference on whether you pay £106 or £117?!
Original post by RJW193
oh i never saw Clarence Dock, what's it like? well North Hill Court was like Dev on a smaller scale, massive rooms and a one in four chance of getting a balcony on your room, HOWEVER the kitchens were diddy, well the kitchen in the flat i saw was anyway

What was the price like at North Hill Court? I'd like to have a larger kitchen since if we're going to go with self catered, it's bound to be better.

Clarence Dock... Dmz summed it up quite well!

Original post by dmz
CD was my favourite before i went so i already had high expectations for it, didn't get the chance to see the 'nice scenery' but the halls were kinda tight, but the rooms were spacious enough i thought, the gym was disappointing as i was only interested in weights which they only had one machine for :tongue:, i really like the kitchen though and the shapes the room were (i know that sounds weird) cos it makes me much more nicer to personalise. The bar however was really good i thought, especially upstairs with the pool table and the lights, and it had a big tv in a side also. It is far but it's a 20min walk from town and it doesn't really take that long driving tbh, buses takes 15-20 from there to parkinson building and it's a 30mins walk if you decide to walk so it shouldn't impact social life. It didn't look as modern as i expected though :tongue:

Devonshire Pretty artsy but really not my type :tongue:, so didn't look much around, wasn't comfortable at all :lol: (Sorry MoS)
Reply 695
Accomoffice- Mum just asked me to ask you: do shared-bathroom Charles Morris Halls have laundry free facilities like the en-suites do?
Reply 696
Does anyone know if the social life in Elerslie is anygood? Worried as it seems a bit small compared to some of the other accomodation. Liked it apart from that. :smile:
Reply 697
WOOW! Just saw charles morris cos dad was bugging me about a catered accomodation on site. And it looks pretty wow, any thoughts on it?
Original post by dmz
WOOW! Just saw charles morris cos dad was bugging me about a catered accomodation on site. And it looks pretty wow, any thoughts on it?

That's the one i want - and i'm prepared to fight you for it :tongue:
Original post by dmz

I looked about an hour ago- looks amazing...but not enough for £6000

Latest