The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
That would be impressive seeing as the lowest score is 300 :wink:.
A lot of the universities I'm considering are UKCAT heavy, so I'll wait until the test to decide which ones I'll have the best shot at.

I was being obtuse to demonstrate my point and you well know that :tongue:

Original post by SteveCrain
an objectively good score is above 680+
an objectively very good score, that will be safe for UKCAT unis, is 730/40+

Surely there could be a particularly difficult year where everyone scored below 700 or something though? So using a quartile system, the ranking of your score would be dependant on how far below 700 everyone else scored?

You guys obviously know more about it than I do; I'm just speculating :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 561
That would be impressive seeing as the lowest score is 300 :wink:.
A lot of the universities I'm considering are UKCAT heavy, so I'll wait until the test to decide which ones I'll have the best shot at.

What do you mean by the lowest score?

Sorry I'm kinda new to this system!
Original post by Stegosaurus
I was being flippant to demonstrate my point and you well know that :tongue:

Surely there could be a particularly difficult year where everyone scored below 700 or something though? So using a quartile system, a score of 550-odd could be good?

You guys obviously know more about it than I do; I'm just speculating :smile:

I doubt it; everyone sits a different test, and the format of the questions is the same, so it would be a stupid year rather than a more difficult test.

I think around 640 is enough for most places though
Original post by liviaaa
What do you mean by the lowest score?

Sorry I'm kinda new to this system!

Your score on each test ranges from the lowest score of 300 to the highest of 900.
I doubt it; everyone sits a different test, and the format of the questions is the same, so it would be a stupid year rather than a more difficult test.

I suppose ultimately though knowing the ins and outs of scoring mechanics etc. are irrelevant; you've just got to go into that test room and do the absolute best you can, then make sensible choices based on the results.

What am I saying? I'm not comforting myself at all! I'm incredibly worried about taking it! :tongue:
Hellllooo.

Can't believe it's near the time already D: UKCAT in a few months!

What's everyone's work experience like?

That's pushing it, I'd say 670 opens up most doors
Reply 567
Your score on each test ranges from the lowest score of 300 to the highest of 900.

But I mean how is that the lowest? Why couldn't you get 0?
Original post by liviaaa
But I mean how is that the lowest? Why couldn't you get 0?

Because (i think) they score it so that results fall on a bell curve style distribution, so that the average is 600, and scores vary compared to that. I'm not too sure to be honest :s-smilie:

Original post by Evanesyne
Hellllooo.

Can't believe it's near the time already D: UKCAT in a few months!

What's everyone's work experience like?

Work experience is building up slowly, currently have 1 week shadowing a consultant/F1s and 1 week as a teaching assistant, along with volunteering in a charity shop which I just started. Going to apply for some at my GP's soon, how's your's going?
Good luck everybody!

:awesome:

I got in this year, so if anyone wants any help then feel free to ask.
Original post by spacepirate-James
Good luck everybody!

Thank you :biggrin:

What are people's views on when to start prepping for the UKCAT?
Best to pick up some practice materials now and do a bit every week until the exam or concentrate on AS exams until they're over and then go on a massive UKCAT spurge?

I'm inclined to do a combination of the two, setting a bit of time aside each week to do some practice, then spending more time on it once exams are over.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 571
Because (i think) they score it so that results fall on a bell curve style distribution, so that the average is 600, and scores vary compared to that. I'm not too sure to be honest :s-smilie:

Alright, thanks. :smile:

Work experience is building up slowly, currently have 1 week shadowing a consultant/F1s and 1 week as a teaching assistant, along with volunteering in a charity shop which I just started. Going to apply for some at my GP's soon, how's your's going?

I'm volunteering at a dementia center and St John's Ambulance. I'm close to getting a shadowing opportunity if only the PA would phone me back and arrange the time :redface: My local hospital is all booked up :s-smilie: I envy those who got a ward placement :cry:

Where are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 573

What are people's views on when to start prepping for the UKCAT?
Best to pick up some practice materials now and do a bit every week until the exam or concentrate on AS exams until they're over and then go on a massive UKCAT spurge?

I'm inclined to do a combination of the two, setting a bit of time aside each week to do some practice, then spending more time on it once exams are over.

Defo after my AS exams. They are the most important thing to prioritise right now.. only 2 weeks until Easter, then after Easter we have a 3 day week then 4 day week then study leave. It's coming round so fast!!
Original post by liviaaa
Defo after my AS exams. They are the most important thing to prioritise right now.. only 2 weeks until Easter, then after Easter we have a 3 day week then 4 day week then study leave. It's coming round so fast!!

I think I have three weeks after Easter, but the royal wedding & training days etc. probably mean that I'll have about 4 hours of actual schooltime... eep!

That said, my only exam for about two weeks is general studies and then all of my other (*cough*real*cough*) exams are over in the space of about a week, so I suppose there's plenty of time to stress about the UKCAT once they're over :smile:
I'm volunteering at a dementia center and St John's Ambulance. I'm close to getting a shadowing opportunity if only the PA would phone me back and arrange the time :redface: My local hospital is all booked up :s-smilie: I envy those who got a ward placement :cry:

Where are you thinking of applying to?

I envy them too, I got to follow some F1s on the ward for one of my days shadowing and it was really enjoyable. As for where I'm applying I have no idea, just slowly whittling it down on where I can't/shouldn't/won't apply.

Original post by liviaaa

I get a grand total of two day's study leave due to how my school now structures study leave, it sucks. :frown:
I get a grand total of two day's study leave due to how my school now structures study leave, it sucks. :frown:

That's pretty rubbish, how does it work out like that?

For GCSEs I had solid exams for the week before study leave, so when it actually came round I had nearly finished and just ended up with (quite a lonely :tongue:) extension to my summer holidays.
I envy them too, I got to follow some F1s on the ward for one of my days shadowing and it was really enjoyable. As for where I'm applying I have no idea, just slowly whittling it down on where I can't/shouldn't/won't apply.
(

How did you get the opportunity to shadow?

Oh right. For me the ones that uses BMAT are out.....:colone:
That's pretty rubbish, how does it work out like that?

For GCSEs I had solid exams for the week before study leave, so when it actually came round I had nearly finished and just ended up with (quite a lonely :tongue:) extension to my summer holidays.

The school only gives study leave for the day before and day of an exam, and my exams are in at really annoying times, i.e. 4 exams over two days, and then 2 exams on a different day.

How did you get the opportunity to shadow?

Oh right. For me the ones that uses BMAT are out.....:colone:

I emailed a consultant at a local hospital and he said yes. For me I've rules out BMAT, Scottish, Irish, and GCSE Nazi universities. :s-smilie:
The school only gives study leave for the day before and day of an exam, and my exams are in at really annoying times, i.e. 4 exams over two days, and then 2 exams on a different day.

So what do you do during the days when you have to be in? Revision classes?

For me the ones that uses BMAT are out...

Mm, I'm with you on that. I initially wanted to apply to UCL but I decided that I didn't want to go there enough to sit another exam just for one uni. And then I looked at the BMAT paper and decided that it was definitely for the best :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending