The Student Room Group

Subjects you wish you had chosen to study, but didn't

Scroll to see replies

Wish I had worked a bit harder at GCSE French and done it at A'level
French at GCSE, then A Level. Got bad advice from teachers at high school :s-smilie:
Music As level instead of Chemistry, might have even carried it on to A2 :/
Reply 163
wish i had chosen to study psychology , but still dentistry is not boring . and i can increase my knowledge in psychology by myself don't need a uni to study and there is always time to do what you want as long as you have the intension and the will
At A Level - Psychology/English Literature/Government & Politics/Sociology/Philosophy
Original post by thelooby94
What are the chances of being able to switch to medicine after a year if you were top of class because I want to do that when I got to uni and I'm willing to work as hard as is needed

If it happens then it's not a set in stone thing, like you apply and you go for an interview. It will be complete luck on your university.

IF YOU START A DEGREE, YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO FINISH IT. Do not waste your money hoping that you will be picked out for Medicine.

Everyone on my course (Biomed) is a medicine reject bar two. You will be facing very very stiff competition if such a scheme does it exist.
Original post by Future Doc
If it happens then it's not a set in stone thing, like you apply and you go for an interview. It will be complete luck on your university.

IF YOU START A DEGREE, YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO FINISH IT. Do not waste your money hoping that you will be picked out for Medicine.

Everyone on my course (Biomed) is a medicine reject bar two. You will be facing very very stiff competition if such a scheme does it exist.

Thanks, are you planning to re apply when you finish the biomed course? Is that any good?
Original post by failingatm
D'awww. ':frown:' Don't worry man, you'll get into med, just gotta play the game right. :moon:

But Jonny, you're just gonna get banned again. Don't waste another 4 quid.

Hate to go off topic on the thread. See my Visitor Message to you
Reply 168
Original post by Teveth
I sometimes think to myself how much I would love to be studying physics at university. I just find it so interesting and I'm jealous of some of my friends who study science subjects. I blame my old school, in a way. I only achieved a B at GCSE physics, and I got the impression from my teachers that only the very best students would cope with it at A-level, so I was discouraged from taking it. Now I realise that that was a load of ****, as people develop intellectually at different speeds. Ah well.

I'm pretty happy with the course I chose but at A-level, I really wish I could have chosen English Language aswell because I'm kind of finding the language aspects of my degree really challenging :frown: On the flip side, Media turned out to be a surprising help for me on my course (Eng Lit) because I had to work with theorists and look at narratives in film at alevel :smile:
Original post by Teveth
I sometimes think to myself how much I would love to be studying physics at university. I just find it so interesting and I'm jealous of some of my friends who study science subjects. I blame my old school, in a way. I only achieved a B at GCSE physics, and I got the impression from my teachers that only the very best students would cope with it at A-level, so I was discouraged from taking it. Now I realise that that was a load of ****, as people develop intellectually at different speeds. Ah well.

Hey dude

Funny I should run into this thread.

I absolutely fell in love with Physics after watching documentaries on the universe and it's many laws, but decided to do mechanical engineering at uni (go to uni for a job, not your passion blah blah.)

Anyway, needless to say I'm changing to Physics after a rather boring 1st year :smile:
I wish I didn't take music but instead took something like Biology or something. My school put wayyy to much emphasis on performance rather than the theoretical side of it :frown:
Reply 171
Sooo many: english lang, politics, sociology, history of art... and the list goes on
Reply 172
I wish I could get a full A-Level in Psychology... I'm doing it at AS but as an extra with my A2's. For me, It's probably the most interesting subject I've ever taken. I switched it to Geography in my first year too.. regretting it now! :frown:
Original post by Teveth

I wish I'd taken History A-Level instead of English Language.
Carrying Biology through to A2 might have been a good idea too, but ah well...too much work involved in 4 subjects
German, Philosophy and, to a lesser extent, Economics... at A level, I mean. I didn't have the opportunity to do German GCSE, unfortunately.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by thelooby94
Thanks, are you planning to re apply when you finish the biomed course? Is that any good?

There is a scheme at QMUL linked to the Medical School, Barts and The London. In the summer between your 1st and 2nd year, you take the UKCAT. If you meet the level of that year's intakes then you get to apply with a personal statement and go for an interview. If you pass the interview in your second year, you will be offered a deferred place for medicine after your 3rd year. If you fail to meet the UKCAT cutoff then you can repeat the test next year and apply during your third year as normal.
In the ideal world I'd be doing:
Geography full A-Level
Biology full A-Level
Maths full A-Level
Chemistry AS
Gen Studies AS
And an AQA Baccalaurette.

But instead I'm doing..
Biology full A-Level
Chemistry full A-Level
Maths full A-Level
Geography AS
Physics AS
Gen Studies AS
And no AQA Baccalaurette because I didn't get chosen to do it..

And now I wanna do Geography at university, so fail. Hopefully I'll be accepted but if not.. I'll have to do the A2 year after year 13 or something.. :/
Wish I'd went along the route of Philosophy but now I'm going to study Fine Art, big change!
Possibly architecture or town planning, but I've enjoyed history so much :love: that I don't regret anything, and I'm getting to express my love for buildings in my dissertation and Masters.
I'm studying Biochemistry at uni and whilst i love the subject soo much, i sometimes wish i was studying a subject like pharmacy or optometry aka ones which have a clear career path after graduation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending