The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Manchester??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SteveCrain
Manchester is by far the nicer city.

What's the Asian to White ratio of Birmingham Med students btw?

Manc has too many asians
I will also say Birmingham but you can see why... hahahah
Birmingham has the second biggest student population, the campus is amazing, the medical school is amazing, the city is amazing :P the only thing that I see as a sort of disadvantage is not doing dissection.

You have visited both universities, so which one did it feel more like 'the place to be' for you?
Reply 22
Original post by bhamsh
But I heard bham doent do dissection and had a weak anatony teaching, what you think abt it?

and also heard that bham has too many medical students.

Tbh, haven't heard that, but i would have thought they do dissection? As for too many medical students, wouldn't say that. On the open days and stuff there are just as many business/law etc students :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by areyousure?
I will also say Birmingham but you can see why... hahahah
Birmingham has the second biggest student population, the campus is amazing, the medical school is amazing, the city is amazing :P the only thing that I see as a sort of disadvantage is not doing dissection.

You have visited both universities, so which one did it feel more like 'the place to be' for you?

do you think they would change the dissection thing if we complain?
Manchester, by a mile. :smile:

I'm not biased at all. :biggrin:
Original post by SteveCrain
Manchester is by far the nicer city.

What's the Asian to White ratio of Birmingham Med students btw?

No idea about Birmingham specifically, but in case you want an idea of ratios generally according to the UKCAT annual report for 2009/10 there were 13437 White British/Other applicants compared to 6644 Asian/Chinese applicants.
Reply 26
Original post by bhamsh
Manc has too many asians

Yet Birmingham has more. I'm not thinking about too many, just wanted to see a ratio
Reply 27
Original post by Normandy114
No idea about Birmingham specifically, but in case you want an idea of ratios generally according to the UKCAT annual report for 2009/10 there were 13437 White British/Other applicants compared to 6644 Asian/Chinese applicants.

cheers.

I bet a ratio of accepted applicants would be more even!
Reply 28
Look OP. This is medicine, all the university will be good. Some people like the teaching style, others don't. Look closely at the course, the way you learn best and most of all which city you be happy living at for 5 years or so. Go to the open days to help make your decision..in the end, no matter where you go, you will be a good doctor and have an amazing time.
Original post by bhamsh
do you think they would change the dissection thing if we complain?

The other day I was reading a Report from a few years ago that was done by the Medsoc committee to the Dean and they were asking for time outside lessons where some students could go and do dissections and I think that the staff decided that it was unnecessary because their anatomy teaching is good enough. So I think that complaints from students won't do much so just think about how important dissection is for you.

I don't have a major interest in surgery right now which is why I even prefer not having dissection.

Yes, a 12 year old unsubstantiated paragraph by a Pharmacology department in Cologne.

Very reliable, giving a qualitative result.
Very relevant to the 2011 Medicine offer holders for Manchester University.

Never done 'How Science Works' ?
Reply 31
Manchester, a nicer city and better nightlife than Birmingham.
birmingham all the way, not biased or anything :tongue:
Original post by Straight up G
Yes, a 12 year old unsubstantiated paragraph by a Pharmacology department in Cologne.

Very reliable, giving a qualitative result.
Very relevant to the 2011 Medicine offer holders for Manchester University.

Never done 'How Science Works' ?

Nitpicking much? It's a study into PBL vs LBL, that concluded that PBL is better. The fact it's 12 years old is irrelevant, as I doubt LBL has improved substantially compared to PBL over the past 12 years. Want me to find some more research? There's plenty more supporting PBL.
Nitpicking much? It's a study into PBL vs LBL, that concluded that PBL is better. The fact it's 12 years old is irrelevant, as I doubt LBL has improved substantially compared to PBL over the past 12 years. Want me to find some more research? There's plenty more supporting PBL.

How the hell is that nitpicking

For all we know, the Pharmacology department at Cologne uses some really ****ty version of LBL. For all we know, the cleverer students were put in the PBL batch. We don't know anything about the authenticity of this place, we know for a fact that it is completely irrelevant to Medicine at Manchester in ENGLAND.

I already told you it gives a qualitative result, anything less than a 10% difference in exam scores would suggest that there is little difference and that further studies should be carried out. The link used the words 'slight tendency', does anyone expect a slight tendency to be more than 10%? That source is the biggest crap I've ever heard. I'll give you a good source, Manchesters absolutely ****e medicine student satisfaction ratings, and another one, the fact that Oxbridge uses LBL. If there was truly an advantage in PBL, you'd think the nationwide leaders would have caught on?
(edited 13 years ago)
How the hell is that nitpicking

For all we know, the Pharmacology department at Cologne uses some really ****ty version of LBL. For all we know, the cleverer students were put in the PBL batch. We don't know anything about the authenticity of this place, we know for a fact that it is completely irrelevant to Medicine at Manchester in ENGLAND.

It's a randomised study, so students were randomly placed into the groups to avoid bias. And pharmacology isn't exactly a massively different course to medicine, a lot of the core knowledge would be the same. This study is about as relevant a one you will find for Manchester medical teaching styles.

Edit seeing as you also editted: You're getting a bit angry about this. Other studies comparing PBL and LBL also found a link between higher test scores and PBL. Manchester's satisfaction ratings are irrelevant, many other PBL courses also have satisfaction rates in the high 90%s. Even the GMC reccommends an integrated course structure rather than pure LBL.

I'm not trying to promote PBL, I don't really care, you just asked for a study so I showed you one.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Do you want to study via PBL or a via a more traditional, lecture based course? Look back at how you've learnt best at school in the past - how do you learn best?

Ignore all the idiots saying "Do PBL, it's better!" or "Do LBL, it's better!" - means absolutely nothing to you and is not helpful in the slightest.
It's a randomised study, so students were randomly placed into the groups to avoid bias. And pharmacology isn't exactly a massively different course to medicine, a lot of the core knowledge would be the same. This study is about as relevant a one you will find for Manchester medical teaching styles.

Edit seeing as you also editted: You're getting a bit angry about this. Other studies comparing PBL and LBL also found a link between higher test scores and PBL. Manchester's satisfaction ratings are irrelevant, many other PBL courses also have satisfaction rates in the high 90%s. Even the GMC reccommends an integrated course structure rather than pure LBL.

I'm not trying to promote PBL, I don't really care, you just asked for a study so I showed you one.

Obviously its randomised but we don't know how it was randomised or whether the randomisation still left the two groups a little uneven.

If this, a 12 year old study from a different course in a different country is the closest study you can find, then you shouldn't be making an assumption. Other studies have been done, nothing is conclusive at all. Manchester and Liverpool are the most PBL heavy universities in England... = 66 and 67% student satisfaction ratings, which is definitely amongst the lowest. Even I would recommend some PBL, but for relevant scenarios, not for the teaching of anatomy etc.

Fair enough, I may have sounded angry but I wasnt haha, I just swear far too much :colondollar:
Reply 38
Obviously its randomised but we don't know how it was randomised or whether the randomisation still left the two groups a little uneven.

If this, a 12 year old study from a different course in a different country is the closest study you can find, then you shouldn't be making an assumption. Other studies have been done, nothing is conclusive at all. Manchester and Liverpool are the most PBL heavy universities in England... = 66 and 67% student satisfaction ratings, which is definitely amongst the lowest. Even I would recommend some PBL, but for relevant scenarios, not for the teaching of anatomy etc.

Fair enough, I may have sounded angry but I wasnt haha, I just swear far too much :colondollar:

Bham also has a low student staisfication right?

thats the reason the are ranked so low?
Original post by bhamsh
Bham also has a low student staisfication right?

thats the reason the are ranked so low?

Bham is 83%.

So for every 6 students, 4 'are satisfied' with Manc, but 5 are for Birmingham. Over a year of 300 people, thats a significant amount. Anyway, you can't always trust these...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending