The Student Room Group

Nail Varnishes. OPI/alternatives?

I need some really good nail varnishes, I am in love with all the OPI colours and how pretty they look, but they're quite expensive.

Is it worth paying the price? Or are there better alternatives?

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

They're worth paying the price, for sure.
Reply 2
Original post by Ilora-Danon
They're worth paying the price, for sure.

Where do you buy it from? I know it's hard to get in the UK, I've seen in on the ASOS website and obviously Amazon and eBay to get them a bit cheaper.
I get mine from my local Sally beauty shop.
Reply 4
I think you can get OPI in John Lewis, deffo can in London not sure about elsewhere. Nails Inc are good too, I find them easier as I can hold the brush tighter and therefore have neater nails.
Reply 5
Definately OPI is the best, or China Glaze (they have a pretty decent selection in Sallys and are only about a fiver). I like OPI best because the brush is massive so takes less time, and you don't need as many coats cause they are really pigmented compared to the tat you buy in Superdrug :smile: Plus, im a bit ocd and like to have all my polishes by the same brand...
There's an ebay shop called 'enchantedbeautyspot' http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/enchantedbeautyspot/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
Thats where i get my OPIs. They're like £3 and if you buy a couple at a time the postage isnt much at all. Just watch out for customs cause sometimes the larger packages get charged. SO much cheaper than getting ripped off by John Lewis, and they have essie, china glaze & nubar too :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Ilora-Danon
I get mine from my local Sally beauty shop.

I didn't think they had a Sally's in the UK :s-smilie:

Original post by fhewitt1
Definately OPI is the best, or China Glaze (they have a pretty decent selection in Sallys and are only about a fiver). I like OPI best because the brush is massive so takes less time, and you don't need as many coats cause they are really pigmented compared to the tat you buy in Superdrug :smile: Plus, im a bit ocd and like to have all my polishes by the same brand...
There's an ebay shop called 'enchantedbeautyspot' http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/enchantedbeautyspot/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
Thats where i get my OPIs. They're like £3 and if you buy a couple at a time the postage isnt much at all. Just watch out for customs cause sometimes the larger packages get charged. SO much cheaper than getting ripped off by John Lewis, and they have essie, china glaze & nubar too :biggrin:

Ooh, thanks. They're not that bad of a price actually! :biggrin:
Reply 7
I like OPI's colours but after like one day they seem to fade around the edges :frown: maybe this is just because I need to use base/top coat though?
Reply 8
Original post by stace93
I like OPI's colours but after like one day they seem to fade around the edges :frown: maybe this is just because I need to use base/top coat though?

You should always ALWAYS use a base coat and a top coat - stops you staining your nail.
Reply 9
Original post by Abi24
You should always ALWAYS use a base coat and a top coat - stops you staining your nail.

Do you know which ones are good? I have a No7 one and I never use it because it's really watery
Reply 10
Original post by stace93
Do you know which ones are good? I have a No7 one and I never use it because it's really watery

I use Revlon or Barry M and they're both pretty good :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by kerily
I use Revlon or Barry M and they're both pretty good :smile:

Might try Revlon thanks :smile: I've only got a couple pf their nail varnishes but I do like them
Reply 12
I use a revlon one too when i'm doing my nails at home, dunno what they use when i get them done at the salon (I have gel extensions and overlay, even they stain with dark varnishes!)
I use Barry M and Nails Inc. as well as OPI.
Reply 14
Barry M have nice colours, though not as many as OPI.
IMO, it is worth getting the OPI ones though, such gorgeous colours, you only ever need two coats and they tend to last longer than my other nail varnishes, even without a topcoat.
I've actually used the Ebay seller before, and they accidentally sent me the same package twice! So I gave it to my best friend.
I love Revlon's nail varnishes ^^
I like Nails Inc too, but that's only for payday!
Don't get them off eBay as they're likely to be fake - happened to me once. The cheapest I think you can get them is at asos.com when they do the 20% off offer if you have an NUS card. Otherwise I'm not sure you can get them cheap unfortunately.
If you're the kind of person that likes wearing new colours every other day, it's probably not worth it, but if like me you have 3 autumn/winter shades and another 2 or 3 for the summer and you like to keep your nail colour on for a week at a time then it's worth it.
Nails Inc are pretty good too. You can often get them 4 for £20-ish at qvc.co.uk and they do sets with mini pots too.
Keep in mind that OPI sell 15ml bottles for £10, whereas some drugstore brands such as Bourjois sell 8ml bottles for £6 which is actually about the same price as OPI if you take into consideration the amount you're getting.
Revlon are probably your best bet if you want a cheap-ish one that won't chip after 1 day. Make sure to use a base coat (esp. for dark colours) and top coat (Seche Vite quick dry top coat is my fave).
Barry M I've not had too much luck with. They stay on ok and don't cheap as badly as Rimmel, but their colour selections look more like paints (I guess Barry M do call them that anyway) rather than colours I'd want to put on my nails.
If you're after a specific colour you're more likely to find it with OPI.
Boots No 7 are ok but do take a while to dry and their colour selection isn't the best. Their formulae are thick too, so can get gloopy after a while.
If you still can't make your mind up, go for OPI for colours you wear often and for a long time (for me that would be french mani colours) and cheaper brands like Revlon for shades you seldom wear or only wear on a night out for example (as the chippage shouldn't bother you).
Poundland I've founs is great for Rimmel nail polishes in bright colours for the summer months. I personally get bored of bright colours quickly so take them off after 2 day anyway, and it means you can update your look without feeling guilty of having spent too much and having the polish clash with your outfit.
Sorry about the long post... I really need to spend less time researching and buying nail polishes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
17 at Boots have some pretty good nail varnishes in loads of colours, I love the 'Lasting Fix' ones, they really do last! :smile:
If you are looking for a cheap alternative then go for barry m, they have some great colours for reasonable prices.
Or try revlon they also have some nice colours for pretty good prices

Hope that helped (: x
Reply 19
Barry M are good cheapies, also... a little bit unrelated, but I highly recommend the Sally Hanson speec dry drops... they dry your nails well fast!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending