The Student Room Group

European Medical School or Neuroscience & then Grad. Med??

I am on my gap year at the moment, and I got 3 As in Bio, Chem & Physics (& AS Psych. - B), first sitting. And 690 average in my UKCAT, and I got pre-interview rejections from Sheffield, Southampton & Nottingham.. NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER

obviously I dont know how to really improve other than get A*s.. but that means more years in school (not an option)

I've got an Unconditional at King's Neuroscience.. Should I do that and try do Graduate Medicine?
Or try go to a Medical school in Hungary/Poland/Bulgaria etc?

Please Help! :frown:
I can't really be much of a help sorry :/. But I am interested, how would you get into a medical school in a different country?
Reply 2
Depends what country you're looking to apply to..
All of the eastern European ones, you need to post them your transcripts etc..
Reply 3
I would reapply if I were you - neither of those options is particularly appealing. Try to work out what was wrong with your application and use the time until next October to fix it.

2 gap years may not seem ideal to you but IMO it's a better option than the other two.
Original post by Hits'27

obviously I dont know how to really improve other than get A*s..

This suggests to me that you probably need to improve your personal statement, work experience or volunteering. If I were in your position I'd take a year out, work, and improve your application in those dimensions in your free time. Reapply and see how that works out.

edit; oh, you're already a reapplicant... well, it's up to you. taking a degree in neuroscience now would certainly be cheaper. but if you don't really want to do it, I can't see it being a good choice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
You should have tailored your application more towards your strengths. If you had applied to Barts and Newcastle this year, you would have gotten guaranteed interviews (due to your UKCAT). Nottingham and Southampton are very risky choices, and applying to Sheffield with a UKCAT of only 690 is quite a silly move as it wasn't much below that last year.

You need to improve by applying to appropriate universities and improving your personal statement - these are your weaknesses. If you reapply and use the resources available to you on TSR, you have every chance of getting an interview for 2012 entry. I wouldn't recommend studying abroad under any circumstances, and using GEM as a back-up (even as a reapplicant) isn't a particularly clever move. Do you have a genuine interest in neuroscience? It's going to be difficult to motivate yourself in a degree which you're not really that passionate about when the chances of actually getting a place in a graduate-entry medicine scheme at the end of it are extremely slim.

In summary, as Helenia said, reapplying again is the lesser of three evils.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Get feedback on your personal statement and adjust it accordingly. I very much doubt your UKCAT or academics were at fault.

With the fees going up, going down a graduate entry route will be VERY expensive indeed. Also apply as a graduate to GEP courses is even more competitive compared to the standard 5 year courses.

Some of the european medical schools are GMC accredited with means you can apply to practice in the UK once you've graduated. The only downside is that you may end up paying high fees for tuition and living upfront (as you generallly dont get government funding for these), and you'll be in a different envirnonment, potentially quite far away from home. (Which comes with additional travel expenses, etc).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
I do like neuroscience. And I would quite like doing it, but it's not like me to settle for a second option because I want to become a Medic, and that is how I plan to end up either way.

I do have quite a lot of work experience.. Hospital in america during summer + my GP for 6 months + care home for 2 years + in school (antibullying etc).. etc..

Reapplying again; a 2nd gap year sounds really wasteful, as this one was rather unsuccessful..

Is there any way I can apply to Med again while I'm in my first year of Neuroscience? or do unis frown upon that?
Reply 8
Original post by Hits'27
Is there any way I can apply to Med again while I'm in my first year of Neuroscience? or do unis frown upon that?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_for_Medicine_Whilst_on_a_Different_Course
Reply 9
Original post by Beska

Original post by Beska
You should have tailored your application more towards your strengths. If you had applied to Barts and Newcastle this year, you would have gotten guaranteed interviews (due to your UKCAT). Nottingham and Southampton are very risky choices, and applying to Sheffield with a UKCAT of only 690 is quite a silly move as it wasn't much below that last year.

You need to improve by applying to appropriate universities and improving your personal statement - these are your weaknesses. If you reapply and use the resources available to you on TSR, you have every chance of getting an interview for 2012 entry. I wouldn't recommend studying abroad under any circumstances, and using GEM as a back-up (even as a reapplicant) isn't a particularly clever move. Do you have a genuine interest in neuroscience? It's going to be difficult to motivate yourself in a degree which you're not really that passionate about when the chances of actually getting a place in a graduate-entry medicine scheme at the end of it are extremely slim.

In summary, as Helenia said, reapplying again is the lesser of three evils.

I did try do quite a lot of research into Unis, and I applied to Sheffield because they asked for AABb and me having AAAb, made me feel quite safe to apply there.

I did get a Barts interview, unsuccessful due to being completely honest and not being diplomatic to the question "why didn't you get a place in medicine last year?"

Say if I was to apply again, what would be quite 'safe' unis to apply to with my grades?
And of course possible improvements on my UKCAT scores..
Thanks so much for your advice btw.
Hi OP: I don't know anything about studying Medicine in Europe but have a look at this link from the School of Biomedical Science at KCL. Hope this helps :smile:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/biohealth/news/2011/bioscigrads.aspx
What work experience did you have?

in my opinion the best option is to re-apply
Reply 12
Original post by nicolaangel
What work experience did you have?

in my opinion the best option is to re-apply

Hospital in america during summer + my GP for 6 months + care home for 2 years + in school (antibullying etc) + I play a lot of sports
Reply 13
Original post by Hits'27
I did try do quite a lot of research into Unis, and I applied to Sheffield because they asked for AABb and me having AAAb, made me feel quite safe to apply there.

I did get a Barts interview, unsuccessful due to being completely honest and not being diplomatic to the question "why didn't you get a place in medicine last year?"

Say if I was to apply again, what would be quite 'safe' unis to apply to with my grades?
And of course possible improvements on my UKCAT scores..
Thanks so much for your advice btw.

I'm not trying to be brutal, but you didn't do enough research.

A-Level grades mean naff all in medicine admissions, if you have AAAb you can apply pretty much anywhere but Cambridge, so you should cross off Cambridge and then look for other factors.

Sheffield's UKCAT cut-off last year was 680-something, so applying with 690 is very dangerous as (on average) it increases by 15 points every year - but incidentally it increased 40 points (!!) this year and the cut-off was 720ish.

I doubt you were rejected from Barts because of your performance on a single question - I was brutally honest on many of the questions I was asked at Barts (including 'What do you know about the area?' and 'What do you do to relax?') and I still got an offer. It is likely that your performance generally wasn't up to scratch.

You need to tell me you GCSE grades and then I can give you a bit more tailored advice, but most of it relies on your UKCAT score, which obviously you'd need to resit if you're going to reapply. But I can tell you one thing: FORGET about your A2 grades, they mean NOTHING. As long as you meet the minimum requirements of a university, that's it - no extra consideration is given to grades up and above this.

Assuming you get around 700 on the UKCAT next year, I'd say apply to Newcastle and Barts - which should give you interviews (but bear in mind that policies change year on year, as do UKCAT cut-offs). You need to improve your interview performance, as that is one thing that is obviously sorely lacking if you received a rejection post-interview.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Beska
I'm not trying to be brutal, but you didn't do enough research.

A-Level grades mean naff all in medicine admissions, if you have AAAb you can apply pretty much anywhere but Cambridge, so you should cross off Cambridge and then look for other factors.

Sheffield's UKCAT cut-off last year was 680-something, so applying with 690 is very dangerous as (on average) it increases by 15 points every year - but incidentally it increased 40 points (!!) this year and the cut-off was 720ish.

I doubt you were rejected from Barts because of your performance on a single question - I was brutally honest on many of the questions I was asked at Barts (including 'What do you know about the area?' and 'What do you do to relax?') and I still got an offer. It is likely that your performance generally wasn't up to scratch.

You need to tell me you GCSE grades and then I can give you a bit more tailored advice, but most of it relies on your UKCAT score, which obviously you'd need to resit if you're going to reapply. But I can tell you one thing: FORGET about your A2 grades, they mean NOTHING. As long as you meet the minimum requirements of a university, that's it - no extra consideration is given to grades up and above this.

Assuming you get around 700 on the UKCAT next year, I'd say apply to Newcastle and Barts - which should give you interviews (but bear in mind that policies change year on year, as do UKCAT cut-offs). You need to improve your interview performance, as that is one thing that is obviously sorely lacking if you received a rejection post-interview.

I really like the brutal honesty because it helps keep my head grounded lol.

Yes, more interview practice + better UKCAT is a must, totally understand that.

I got 6As & 6Bs in my GCSEs, not impressive at all, I know. As in Double Science + Maths + English.
But it was at a secondary school with a 19% GCSE A- C rate (I dont know if that changes anything)

I'm definitely not thinking of applying to Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial. Will there be any issues with me applying for the 3rd time though?

May I just ask what did you need for Newcastle?

Thanks again for the help btw.
Reply 15
Original post by Hits'27
I really like the brutal honesty because it helps keep my head grounded lol.

Yes, more interview practice + better UKCAT is a must, totally understand that.

I got 6As & 6Bs in my GCSEs, not impressive at all, I know. As in Double Science + Maths + English.
But it was at a secondary school with a 19% GCSE A- C rate (I dont know if that changes anything)

I'm definitely not thinking of applying to Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial. Will there be any issues with me applying for the 3rd time though?

May I just ask what did you need for Newcastle?

Thanks again for the help btw.

Not amazing GCSE's but they're not terrible. They'd be fine for Newcastle - they only need something like 5C's, but require a high UKCAT score.

There are no issues with applying a third time - a handful of people have this year (2011 entry) that I know of and they have got places.
Reply 16
Original post by Beska
Not amazing GCSE's but they're not terrible. They'd be fine for Newcastle - they only need something like 5C's, but require a high UKCAT score.

There are no issues with applying a third time - a handful of people have this year (2011 entry) that I know of and they have got places.

You clearly seem to know a lot about what unis want etc. Do you have a table/chart that you could send me by any chance?

I might even undertake Neuroscience and then apply in my first year, I know that restricts my choices but the link you posted to me earlier does have me quite optimistic.

And what unis did these handful of people get places for?
Reply 17
Original post by Hits'27
You clearly seem to know a lot about what unis want etc. Do you have a table/chart that you could send me by any chance?

I might even undertake Neuroscience and then apply in my first year, I know that restricts my choices but the link you posted to me earlier does have me quite optimistic.

And what unis did these handful of people get places for?

The info I know is mostly from experience so there's no table I'm reading it off per se but you might find these wiki pages helpful:

Where to study: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine
A-Level requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
GCSE requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
UKCAT info/requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

There's a reapplicant thread here - post and ask if you could contact somebody who has reapplied twice, I know there are a few that post there. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending