The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmz
WOOW! Just saw charles morris cos dad was bugging me about a catered accomodation on site. And it looks pretty wow, any thoughts on it?

It IS really new - Storm Jameson is pretty amazing and the other sections are getting refurbed as well. Its probs the nicest hall if you're looking for somewhere thats like a s****y hotel but I think it gets a lot of rahs... somewhere similar for style (but NOT a Leeds Uni hall - its private) and cheaper is the Plaza and Sky Plaza.

Charles Morris is just too expensive for me and I'm not keen on catered, if those things weren't an issue it would interest me a lot more.

Edit:

Lol, it won't let me say S W A N K Y :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 701
Original post by Nicknak256
That's the one i want - and i'm prepared to fight you for it :tongue:

Haha, i can afford it for a year, if i add scholarship to maintaenance loan, not sure if it's wise spending that much, but my dad keeps bugging me about it so he'd have to hook me up a bit. Is it really competitive? I'm not rich and i wouldn't wanna be like the poor kid there :lol:

DAMMIT I just decide on JB
Reply 702
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
It IS really new - Storm Jameson is pretty amazing and the other sections are getting refurbed as well. Its probs the nicest hall if you're looking for somewhere thats like a s****y hotel but I think it gets a lot of rahs... somewhere similar for style (but NOT a Leeds Uni hall - its private) and cheaper is the Plaza and Sky Plaza.

Charles Morris is just too expensive for me and I'm not keen on catered, if those things weren't an issue it would interest me a lot more.

That's why my worry cos i'm barely middle class don't want snobby people looking down on me, only gonna be able to afford it cos i'm on a gap year and i'm saving

I'm not keen on catered either but my dad's convinced i can't cook (not that he'd be the one paying for it :colonhash:). How close are they? and is it only students on those sites.

This is not good, i've just about reached a conclusion an hour or two ago :facepalm:
Reply 703
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
I looked about an hour ago- looks amazing...but not enough for £6000

Does it go into 6?

This kind of sucks now :frown:
Original post by dmz
Haha, i can afford it for a year, if i add scholarship to maintaenance loan, not sure if it's wise spending that much, but my dad keeps bugging me about it so he'd have to hook me up a bit. Is it really competitive? I'm not rich and i wouldn't wanna be like the poor kid there :lol:

DAMMIT I just decide on JB

Hahahahahaha, from what i've been reading about it on here, it's not particularly competitive, which i guess is a good thing! :biggrin: I doubt you'd be the "poor kid there" i'm not exactly a RAH thank you very much! :tongue:
Original post by dmz
That's why my worry cos i'm barely middle class don't want snobby people looking down on me, only gonna be able to afford it cos i'm on a gap year and i'm saving

I'm not keen on catered either but my dad's convinced i can't cook (not that he'd be the one paying for it :colonhash:). How close are they? and is it only students on those sites.

This is not good, i've just about reached a conclusion an hour or two ago :facepalm:

They are only student accommodation but not just for Uni of Leeds, you get people from Leeds Met and some other places too. They are really, really close, as in maybe 5-10 mins from both city centre and university. Think I'd rather be in halls for first year though to make friends :biggrin:
Original post by dmz
Does it go into 6?

This kind of sucks now :frown:

# £5259 standard room per session
# £5493 - £6267 en-suite room per session

But, mind you, you don't ever have to pay for laundry, travelling to uni and meals. But, say, if you wanted to go out with friends, taxi fares, meals out of the campus -that'll cost a fair bit too.
Reply 707
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
# £5259 standard room per session
# £5493 - £6267 en-suite room per session

But, mind you, you don't ever have to pay for laundry, travelling to uni and meals. But, say, if you wanted to go out with friends, taxi fares, meals out of the campus -that'll cost a fair bit too.

I'm gonna have to budget everything first then see what i have left for accommodation. People are more important at the end of the day, not to be judgemental but i don't wanna deal with unnecessary crap :lol:
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
They are only student accommodation but not just for Uni of Leeds, you get people from Leeds Met and some other places too. They are really, really close, as in maybe 5-10 mins from both city centre and university. Think I'd rather be in halls for first year though to make friends :biggrin:

yer same, you wanna meet people first
Hahahahahaha, from what i've been reading about it on here, it's not particularly competitive, which i guess is a good thing! :biggrin: I doubt you'd be the "poor kid there" i'm not exactly a RAH thank you very much! :tongue:

you're not but then there's...everyone else. My last ex was really rich but had racist parents, really don't wanna deal with **** like that tbh. And i think i would be the poor kid, lol. Also my course is gonna be filled with guys so i'd need a place with cool girls or i might get suicidal, lol but it's so nice!
Original post by dmz
you're not but then there's...everyone else. My last ex was really rich but had racist parents, really don't wanna deal with **** like that tbh. And i think i would be the poor kid, lol. Also my course is gonna be filled with guys so i'd need a place with cool girls or i might get suicidal, lol but it's so nice!

Yeah i can see your point i guess with your ex, but honestly i don't think that's a fair representation of "richer" people at all and it shouldn't put you off if you really like Charles Morris, cause if you can afford it, why wouldn't you want to live there? It's amaazing! :coma:
Reply 709
Yeah i can see your point i guess with your ex, but honestly i don't think that's a fair representation of "richer" people at all and it shouldn't put you off if you really like Charles Morris, cause if you can afford it, why wouldn't you want to live there? It's amaazing! :coma:

It is amazing but i can always come and visit you but never leave :tongue: :laugh: it looks amazing though

lots of rich people in my college were similar but i know i shouldn't stereotype cos i hate being categorized as i really don't go into any :biggrin:
I'm torn between The Tannery & James Baillie :/
Reply 711
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
What was the price like at North Hill Court? I'd like to have a larger kitchen since if we're going to go with self catered, it's bound to be better.

i think North Hill Court is the cheapest at £74 - £89 standard room per week, maybe cheaper because the kitchen is smaller and you have to share a bathroom but the actual rooms are huge, im sure one guy had a double bed in his room :eek:
Original post by dmz
It is amazing but i can always come and visit you but never leave :tongue: :laugh: it looks amazing though

lots of rich people in my college were similar but i know i shouldn't stereotype cos i hate being categorized as i really don't go into any :biggrin:

Hahahahahaha sure, come and visit whenever you want :biggrin:

[and regret that you chose against it :tongue:]
Reply 713
Hahahahahaha sure, come and visit whenever you want :biggrin:

[and regret that you chose against it :tongue:]

I'll bring a sleeping bag, toothbrush, etc :lol:

There's always next year, if i like it, not worth risking now
Original post by RJW193
i think North Hill Court is the cheapest at £74 - £89 standard room per week, maybe cheaper because the kitchen is smaller and you have to share a bathroom but the actual rooms are huge, im sure one guy had a double bed in his room :eek:

That's odd! Although I suppose they need something to attract students. But I don't want to share a bathroom! An ensuite is probably at the top of my priorities.
Original post by dmz
I'll bring a sleeping bag, toothbrush, etc :lol:

There's always next year, if i like it, not worth risking now

:cool:
Reply 716
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
That's odd! Although I suppose they need something to attract students. But I don't want to share a bathroom! An ensuite is probably at the top of my priorities.

yeh i know i think the lack of en suite is what's putting me off it, that and there being hardly anybody living there
Reply 717
:cool:

I'm really tempted tho, just gonna check out my finance and just see if it's worth it, might have to get a job
Original post by dmz
Me again :redface:

you know how you have prices like £106-£117, what makes the difference on whether you pay £106 or £117?!

Usually the size of the room but can also be whether it has a double bed or not and how many people you share with. If you're on a strict budget and can only afford the lower price, you need to put that on your application under the "other" bit.
Original post by alevels
Accomoffice- Mum just asked me to ask you: do shared-bathroom Charles Morris Halls have laundry free facilities like the en-suites do?

No, there's no washing machines in the kitchens in Dob and Whetton but there is a launderette on site

Latest