The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kinkerz
I'd love to do an immunology degree, but the options are very limited. Top of my list is the pharmacology BSc at Leeds. Not sure if they'll still be taking externals by the end of my fourth year though. Then there's the additional factor in that Keele offer masters programmes after fourth year... none particularly interest me though.

I think Barts do an imm iBSc.
I know someone at Imperial thinking about doing immunology too, so they definitely do it.
Reply 2302
Imperial does a course called Immunity and Infection, which is basically immunology.

If anyone's interested, I can send that chapter from the Bsc Course Guide. I don't know if that's a document made available for external applicants, but surely it must be.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2303
Still can't work out what the time is! /googles/

Original post by Renal
Absolutely, but it's still a term of abuse.

Well, no, only on TSR. And only in your & some other peoples eyes. For eg. the term was used in paperwork from my Uni & in my FE college and definitely not as a term of abuse
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SMed
Imperial does a course called Immunity and Infection, which is basically immunology.

If anyone's interested, I can send that chapter from the Bsc Course Guide. I don't know if that's a document made available for external applicants, but surely it must be.

Ahh, that must be the one then.
Original post by Kinkerz
I'd love to do an immunology degree, but the options are very limited. Top of my list is the pharmacology BSc at Leeds. Not sure if they'll still be taking externals by the end of my fourth year though. Then there's the additional factor in that Keele offer masters programmes after fourth year... none particularly interest me though.

UCL do a Immunology and Cell Pathology iBsc, my flatmate does it, not sure what the situation re external students will be by the time you apply though...Might be worth keeping an eye on.
Gin gives headaches. Port dosn't, might stick to port in future...
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I think Barts do an imm iBSc.

They do. It's one of my potential options should their external applicants policy remain as it is. How's your application going with Bart's?

Original post by Wangers
UCL do a Immunology and Cell Pathology iBsc, my flatmate does it, not sure what the situation re external students will be by the time you apply though...Might be worth keeping an eye on.

I wish!
I imagine if UCL do open their doors to externals, it'd be insanely competitive. My grades from year one weren't tremendous. This year I've done pretty well so far, but I'll need to sustain it for two years to even give myself a chance, I suspect. And with the bizarre exam system in place here that seems challenging!
Reply 2308
At UCL, is there any actual kinda formal opposition to the CAM stuff they teach/do/whatever?
Original post by SMed
At UCL, is there any actual kinda formal opposition to the CAM stuff they teach/do/whatever?

CAM?
Original post by Kinkerz
They do. It's one of my potential options should their external applicants policy remain as it is. How's your application going with Bart's

I have no idea, tbh. Interview went reasonably well, but no idea when they plan on handing out decisions. Dunno whether to email them a copy of my new exam results... I think at least half of the applicants for my course were external, so I can't see Barts cutting out that source of revenue just yet.

Original post by Wangers
CAM?

Complementary and alternative medicine?
Reply 2311
Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

I may be misinformed, but I thought there is some formal teaching on this stuff. Plus, isn't the Homeopathic Hospital part of UCL?

Or do student just not give a ****?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I have no idea, tbh. Interview went reasonably well, but no idea when they plan on handing out decisions. Dunno whether to email them a copy of my new exam results... I think at least half of the applicants for my course were external, so I can't see Barts cutting out that source of revenue just yet.

Ah, well that's a decent sign then. All the best for it anyway :smile:

Original post by SMed
Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

I may be misinformed, but I thought there is some formal teaching on this stuff. Plus, isn't the Homeopathic Hospital part of UCL?

Or do student just not give a ****?

We get some 'formal teaching' of it. At the time I was irritated by it and thought it was ridiculous but with hindsight I think it's quite a good thing. Patients will no doubt ask about it and if you have little idea of what actually happens, it's not going to look particularly good. Also, it's much more difficult to brush it off it as quackery if you don't know anything about the 'processes' :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SMed

Argh, I really like the look of the neuro one. Probably more so than the immunity. It's such a killer that I'd probably never get in!
Reply 2314
Original post by SMed
Plus, isn't the Homeopathic Hospital part of UCL?
Yes, we tried to rob from it a few years ago.
Any chance anyone can get hold of this?

Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2007 Feb;6(2):149-65.
New therapeutic strategies for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
Pui CH, Jeha S.

I would be extremely grateful and rep although my rep isn't worth much.
Reply 2316
Original post by mrs_bellamy
Any chance anyone can get hold of this?

Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2007 Feb;6(2):149-65.
New therapeutic strategies for the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
Pui CH, Jeha S.

I would be extremely grateful and rep although my rep isn't worth much.

Here you go :smile:
Ugh, BSc's; I'm pretty certain I don't want to do one, but also pretty certain I don't want to do GP/Psych, any thoughts?
Reply 2318
Original post by Renal
Yes, we tried to rob from it a few years ago.

Were you thirsty or something?
Reply 2319
Original post by Isometrix

On placement, the F2 GP said intercalating had almost no effect on getting FY posts but only made a difference when you started applying for ST...

The context earlier on that page was intercalated degrees on academic FY posts though.

Clocks going forward while you're on a course... at the weekend... :facepalm: But EPLSd now! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending