The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

University of Portsmouth?

Hi, is anyone going to or is currently studying at University of Portsmouth? I've put it down as one of my options but i haven't visited it yet.

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks of it in terms of academically and socially?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, best city in England!
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Why? Because of the night life?
Reply 3
Ugh, seriously there are plenty of threads about Portsmouth, its social life and anything else you would need to know. Use a search option, read through other topics, not post another meaningless thread asking stuff that has been answered million times already.
Maybe you should consider going to a dfifferent uni due to lack of common sense.
Reply 4
Maybe i didn't have time to read through other threads! You obnoxious ass!!
Reply 5
Pompey is great because its compact and next to the sea + if you stick to main roads and dont wonder off down the chavy side streets of buckland etc you should be ok. No offense to any1 from Buckland but you know what i mean :smile:
Reply 6
Buckland is the worst, but the university students are usually live around Southsea, Portsea, Somerstown and those places are very safe to live especially Southsea and Portsea. For social life, Portsmouth is OK i guess.
Reply 7
Portsmouth is a racist **** hole. Gunwharf isn't too bad. academically crap. best ranking is 85th.
Reply 8
Original post by parasitic
Ugh, seriously there are plenty of threads about Portsmouth, its social life and anything else you would need to know. Use a search option, read through other topics, not post another meaningless thread asking stuff that has been answered million times already.
Maybe you should consider going to a dfifferent uni due to lack of common sense.

No no no he should go to this uni due to lack of common sense!
Reply 9
It depends which course you go for at Pompy as to how good it is academically. While it isn't generally a "good" university it does have its strengths!

Socially its awesome, something to do every night if you want to/can afford it.
Reply 10
Original post by Dionys
Portsmouth is a racist **** hole. Gunwharf isn't too bad. academically crap. best ranking is 85th.

Really? Its not racist hardly atall. Mainly because there are not many ethics living in the city imo.
Reply 11
Original post by Dionys
No no no he should go to this uni due to lack of common sense!

Do you even attend Portsmouth Uni? O_o ...
Reply 12
no I do not attend it. Portsmouth has no strengths. If your university isn't in the top 30 then it's certainly not worth going to. People think they can just get a degree from anywhere and it's true you can but really a degree from Portsmouth? Might as well have just gone to a public toilet and taken some toilet paper and call that your degree. Would some like to tell me Portsmouth's strengths? I would love to hear them.
Original post by Dionys
If your university isn't in the top 30 then it's certainly not worth going to

Says the person who's apparently going to London Met. According to the Guardian 2012 rankings, for business/accounting Portsmouth is 63rd and LMet is 116th. Looking at the overall ranking, Portsmouth is 85th and LMet is... oh dear... 119th. Out of 119. Why are you on this thread again?
Reply 14
Can't really speak about it academically much, it's not an amazing university, but then again it's not a bad university, you'd need to look up for your specific course rather than generalise about the university as a whole.

Socially it's a pretty good place for a student. Had taxi drivers always tell me that the town's population is 20% students and there are quite a few bars/cubs around.

Been down here for a few months now and it's no London obviously, but it's not dead either. If you're looking to go out every few nights a week and meet quite a few people, then honestly it's pretty good.

Southsea is the area to aim for if you're not going for Halls, Gunwharf is a very nice area, but a tad more expensive and the majority of students are based in Southsea.
Reply 15
Original post by 26daystoworkwith
Says the person who's apparently going to London Met. According to the Guardian 2012 rankings, for business/accounting Portsmouth is 63rd and LMet is 116th. Looking at the overall ranking, Portsmouth is 85th and LMet is... oh dear... 119th. Out of 119. Why are you on this thread again?

:getmecoat: :congrats: :bumps:
Reply 16
Original post by Dionys
no I do not attend it. Portsmouth has no strengths. If your university isn't in the top 30 then it's certainly not worth going to. People think they can just get a degree from anywhere and it's true you can but really a degree from Portsmouth? Might as well have just gone to a public toilet and taken some toilet paper and call that your degree. Would some like to tell me Portsmouth's strengths? I would love to hear them.

Then if you do not attend you have no right to bad mouth the university when people are genuinely interested in Portsmouth.. Be gone troll..be gone.
Original post by Jasmin11
Hi, is anyone going to or is currently studying at University of Portsmouth? I've put it down as one of my options but i haven't visited it yet.

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks of it in terms of academically and socially?

Hey, just finished my first year at Portsmouth University.
I study LLB Law with Criminology.

Academically, it provides all the necessary tools for you to succeed (I got a 2:1 this year)... Socially, its spot on.. just stay clear of Langstone halls (boring, and distant, apply elsewhere).

Goodluck!
Reply 18
I would like to point out that it isn't just the degree that is important! It's also about what you do outside- get involved in societies (we have lots of amazing societies and activities to get involved in) as employers will like you to get involved. Media at UoP is amazing, we have a rising radio show (Pure FM), paper (Pugwash News), magazine (Pugwash, now also online), and now UPSI.tv- I'm on several committees and I can definately say that by getting involved it's made my uni career a million times better academically and socialy!!! Portsmouth is awesome, ignore the hater... :smile:
Original post by PieParker

Original post by PieParker
I would like to point out that it isn't just the degree that is important! It's also about what you do outside- get involved in societies (we have lots of amazing societies and activities to get involved in) as employers will like you to get involved. Media at UoP is amazing, we have a rising radio show (Pure FM), paper (Pugwash News), magazine (Pugwash, now also online), and now UPSI.tv- I'm on several committees and I can definately say that by getting involved it's made my uni career a million times better academically and socialy!!! Portsmouth is awesome, ignore the hater... :smile:

Several committees? That's crazy, may i ask which ones?

I'm on 1, and i already find that hard work!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending