The Student Room Group

Is ginger hair on a guy just outright unattractive?

I'm a ginger guy who's never worried so much about hair colour as I never had a *massive* issue with the opposite sex, and although I'd prefer not to have abuse yelled at me in the street, I'm pretty secure in myself.

But the other day I took part in a sociology experiment where I dyed my hair dark brown and got a modest fake tan, the premise being "do people treat you differently when you're not ginger". I thought the whole idea was pretty stupid, but I was being paid, so I went along with it.

Oh dear god.

All of a sudden girls were saying I was hot. Like before I was being mostly ignored, but as soon as I covered up my red hair, I was attractive. Girls started hitting on me, and my female friends started saying I should just keep myself like this. Which I am actually seriously tempted to do. At least for a while.

But it still made me think.

Is ginger hair really THAT unattractive a quality? I always figured that most of the hate came from some kind of cultural demonising rather than it actually being offputting. Or that it was more directed at the freckles (which I don't have) that go hand in hand with a bunch of insances of the hair colour.

Would love to hear opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Maybe brown hair just suits you better?
Reply 2
This guy has some views on that matter

EY39fkmqKBM
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a ginger guy who's never worried so much about hair colour as I never had a *massive* issue with the opposite sex, and although I'd prefer not to have abuse yelled at me in the street, I'm pretty secure in myself.

But the other day I took part in a sociology experiment where I dyed my hair dark brown and got a modest fake tan, the premise being "do people treat you differently when you're not ginger". I thought the whole idea was pretty stupid, but I was being paid, so I went along with it.

Oh dear god.

All of a sudden girls were saying I was hot. Like before I was being mostly ignored, but as soon as I covered up my red hair, I was attractive. Girls started hitting on me, and my female friends started saying I should just keep myself like this. Which I am actually seriously tempted to do. At least for a while.

Is ginger hair really THAT unattractive a quality? I always figured that most of the hate came from some kind of cultural demonising rather than it actually being offputting. Or that it was more directed at the freckles (which I don't have) that go hand in hand with a bunch of insances of the hair colour.

Doesn't bother me really ... Do you have blonde eyelashes?
Reply 4
Personallly I find ginger hair such an attractive quality:fan:
I'm not too keen on the freckles, but nice ginger hair makes someone go from good looking to HOT.
....I think I'm in the minority though.
I wouldn't say it's unattractive. If someone can pull off ginger hair then it's an extra bonus. There's just a stigma attatched to it so when girls scan the area, so to say, probably miss out the ginger bloke even if he's actually really hot.
Reply 6
It might not be necessarily that it's because you're ginger but rather the brown hair suited you better. I have super dark brown hair and pale skin so it can make me look a bit ill and dead, so I dye my hair a fairer brown.

I think the cultural 'hating ginger' thing is absolutely ridiculous and those who abide by it are morons.
:nah: You might suit darker hair better though.

Some fine examples of beautiful ginger fellows:

:sexface:.
No way! I adore ginger guys :drool:
I kinda like ginger hair

hothothot
I intend on marrying a ginger haired man. I just need to find one first :teeth:
My college husband is ginger and he's very handsome :awesome:

His best friend is also a ginger male and he's got a lovely, pretty girlfriend :yes:

Oh dear god.

I thought lots of girls liked ginger guys :confused:
I don't personally (sorry), but I'm ginger myself so that's probably why- opposites attract and all that.
It could just be that the darker hair suited you better....

I worry about whether guys like ginger girls though, people's opinions on that would be welcome ???????
Reply 13
No way. Queens of Stone Age lead singer :P He is a beaut! And also the ginger lad who runs the tattoo place near me is possibly the fittest lad in my town. Always has the girls piled in his studio, only one reason they ever want a tattoo haha
my boyfriend is ginger and gorgeous!
Reply 15
Original post by sheep_go_baa
I kinda like ginger hair

hothothot

Absolutely :blush:
My first reaction is YES. But then remembered that the most eligible bachelor in Christendom is a ginge. (HRH)

ginger hair on guys...:cool:

ginger hair on girls:angry: **** no!!!
Just dye your hair then if you like the increased attention. It's hardly like it's a big thing or that being ginger is an intrinsic part of you.

Oh dear god.

You can be attractive and ginger:

Latest

Trending

Trending