The Student Room Group

What jobs(apart from HCA) can you do at the hospital with no medical qualifications?

Gap year basically - I'd like a job in the hospital, doing something with patients for experience, but I only know of HCA.

Are there any others?
you could be a porter....not as hands on as a HCA in terms of patient contact....but better than nothing

could be a volunteer.....

get shadowing....
Reply 2
Phlebotomist is one that springs to mind.

Just search on jobs.nhs.uk jobs "under £20,000" and the vast majority are jobs that don't require any previous training.
I was gunna say phleb but you would inevitably need some sort of clinical experience as there are so few trainee places.
CSW
Reply 5
Theatre Support Worker, Porter, Catering Asst, Domestic, Switchboard, Appointments Clerk...

Although, come to think of it, nurses don't have mo medical qualification :colone:
Quite a lot of admin jobs and reception-type jobs don't require any experience in a medical environment, though they might expect you to have experience of similar work elsewhere.
Original post by twelve
Gap year basically - I'd like a job in the hospital, doing something with patients for experience, but I only know of HCA.

Are there any others?

As you are female why don't you join the WRVS. They would love to have people the right side of 70. They do a lot of volunteering in hospitals providing patient support.
Reply 8
Housekeeping is one. The housekeepers I've spoken to said they barely had any training even after they got the job.
I'm a Radiographic Department assistant - involves phoning porters, typing things into a computer, setting up the ultrasound room, and watching ultrasounds. I absolutely love doing it actually - great job :smile:
Reply 10
Minimum age ? Thanms
Original post by fruitfan
Minimum age ? Thanms

16 for clerical stuff, possibly 18 for patient related, though depends on the Trust.
Physio Assistant is another that springs to mind, probably next best in terms of patient contact after HCA (would recommend going for HCA work though, lots to talk about at interviews if you're lucky :wink:)
Anything that has "assistant" tagged onto it seems to = no formal training whatsoever :s-smilie:
- TSSU jobs
- Porter
- Cleaner
- Receptionist
- Secretary (but some jobs do require qualifications)
- Switchboard
- HCA in theatres requires no bum wiping, if that's putting you off HCA jobs
- Any sort of 'assistant' that's band 3 or below or below £20k salary
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Admin, receptionist, porter, switchboard, theatre support worker, laundry, anywhere in the basement except the kitchen.
Reply 16
Housekeepings a good one, good amount of patient contact, plus you get to know your medical equipment!
"What jobs(apart from HCA) can you do at the hospital with no medical qualifications?"

Shortly doctoring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending