The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Anthropology and Sociology at Durham - help!!

I've got an offer to study Anth and Soc at Durham starting from September. I'm dead chuffed and in love with the university. BUT the side of anthropology I am interested in is the social, not biological side of it. In fact, all the other unis I applied to offered Social Anthropology courses, rather than just 'Anthropology'. I haven't taken any science subjects since GCSE, where I did double award and got an A* and a B. There's at least one 20 point module in the Durham course where I have to do evolutionary/biological anthropological studies. Now I'm not a complete dunderhead, but science was never my strong point, I've always been a humanities/social sciences freak and only did sciences because I had to. Admittedly, out of phys chem and bio, biology is definitely my strong point, but I really don't feel, uh, scientifically capable at all. With a lot of revision and help from my science-y friends, will I be able to cope with the Anthro modules? Or should I go to SOAS instead, where I'm certain I can cope with all the modules? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by prettygreen
I've got an offer to study Anth and Soc at Durham starting from September. I'm dead chuffed and in love with the university. BUT the side of anthropology I am interested in is the social, not biological side of it. In fact, all the other unis I applied to offered Social Anthropology courses, rather than just 'Anthropology'. I haven't taken any science subjects since GCSE, where I did double award and got an A* and a B. There's at least one 20 point module in the Durham course where I have to do evolutionary/biological anthropological studies. Now I'm not a complete dunderhead, but science was never my strong point, I've always been a humanities/social sciences freak and only did sciences because I had to. Admittedly, out of phys chem and bio, biology is definitely my strong point, but I really don't feel, uh, scientifically capable at all. With a lot of revision and help from my science-y friends, will I be able to cope with the Anthro modules? Or should I go to SOAS instead, where I'm certain I can cope with all the modules? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :biggrin:

Don't worry about it at all - the vast majority of students on the straight Anth course, let alone Anth & Soc, won't have done Biology past gcse. Yes you will need to be willing to learn about bone structures and evolution etc but it's definitely not a science module! The exam is essay questions, not short-answer science questions or equations or anything, it's definitely a social science module. And remember, it's only 1/6th of your first year (which doesn't even count towards your overall degree mark!), and then after that you don't have to take any biological anth modules again if you don't want to.

It's definitely not worth not coming to Durham just because of that one module! If you're going to the open days next week, you will get a copy of the anthropology year 1 handbook which will give you more info about the modules (also see www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook). You can also ask questions about the scientific content at the anthropology session at the open day, the tutors are all really friendly and there will probably be some current students there who can also answer your questions. :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks, this is all really helpful. I've just got back from the open day and I talked to the Anth department about it, I should be fine, and I can't wait to start ^_^
Reply 3

Im doing the Anth and Soc joint honors and I felt the EXACT same way as you. Science has never been my strong point haha but i went to the Anth open day yesterday and they convinced me I should be fine...it looked AMAZING!! What college are you at?
Reply 4
I did Anthropology, graduated in 2009. I hadn't taken Biology A-level and coped just fine with the Human Origins course. In fact, that was the side of the course I became most interested in - did Palaeo in my 3rd year :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by S.L.Welsh

Im doing the Anth and Soc joint honors and I felt the EXACT same way as you. Science has never been my strong point haha but i went to the Anth open day yesterday and they convinced me I should be fine...it looked AMAZING!! What college are you at?

I know it looks so so good! In fact I'm about to email them about whether I can switch to straight Anthropology, now that I know I can cope with the biological side I want to take it head on aha. Van Mildert, what about you?
I know it looks so so good! In fact I'm about to email them about whether I can switch to straight Anthropology, now that I know I can cope with the biological side I want to take it head on aha. Van Mildert, what about you?

What did you think of Van Mildert college? I haven't had a chance to visit yet and would love to know a little about it x
Reply 7

Im in St Aidans. I was thinking of switching to straight Anthropology after the open day aswell haha, but i think im going to stick with the joint honours, even though i have no idea what the sociology department is like at Durham!!
Reply 8
Original post by hardy_4_paws

Original post by hardy_4_paws
What did you think of Van Mildert college? I haven't had a chance to visit yet and would love to know a little about it x

I really liked it. I mean, I'm not sure I could really go to any of the others, because this is the only one when you're guaranteed a non-shared room (I'm too messy to be able to share aha). But yeah, it's nice and big, and quite pretty with the lake and the ducks everywhere. The food was really good and all the student reps were really friendly and funny. They put on a good evening of entertainment, which makes me think it's probably a pretty fun place to live. And the rooms were huge with loads of storage space, compared to places I've seen in London. It had a decent gym too, not that I'd ever use it aha. Also it's right next to the Anthro department which is cool :smile: But yeah overall no complaints at all and it had a really friendly atmosphere :smile:
Reply 9

Im in St Aidans. I was thinking of switching to straight Anthropology after the open day aswell haha, but i think im going to stick with the joint honours, even though i have no idea what the sociology department is like at Durham!!

It's Durham, it'll be sick :wink:
I really liked it. I mean, I'm not sure I could really go to any of the others, because this is the only one when you're guaranteed a non-shared room (I'm too messy to be able to share aha). But yeah, it's nice and big, and quite pretty with the lake and the ducks everywhere. The food was really good and all the student reps were really friendly and funny. They put on a good evening of entertainment, which makes me think it's probably a pretty fun place to live. And the rooms were huge with loads of storage space, compared to places I've seen in London. It had a decent gym too, not that I'd ever use it aha. Also it's right next to the Anthro department which is cool :smile: But yeah overall no complaints at all and it had a really friendly atmosphere :smile:

That sounds really good :smile: how many people were there to a bathroom and were rooms of varying standard or all quite similar? Did they tell you anything about how applying for accomodation works? I'm in the Law department which I believe is miles away which probably requires walking up that huge hill every day... not fun! haha
Reply 11

Ok you sound just like me. Basically first year (ive just passed with a 2.1) is the only year you'll have to do a biological module. The one biological module you'll have to do is Human origins and diveristy (theres also a genetics one you dont have to choose). Its all about the evolution of mankind its pretty interesting but biology really isnt my strong point.... the good news for you is that first year you only have to get 40%. Also the way the exams work is that you have 10 questions on different topics of which you have to choose 3 questions so you can do what I did and pick the topics your strongest at and go with them (i revised 4 topics)... this means that you dont have to learn all the genetic complicated stuff instead you can choose questions which are more based on remember for example names of primates and anatomical features.... i got 59% in that module and tbh it was pretty easy compared to the socially based questions, you have alot of describing and very little thinking outside the box to do (plus you dont have to quote who said what).

So yes basically dont worry about it, its not hard at all and you wont have to take biological modules in the 2yrs that actually count anyway!!

If you do choose to come i suggest the other module you choose is Well-being livelihood and society, you have no essays (only easy peasy mock exams) and I also found it very interesting there is a tiny bit of sceince to it i.e. types of illness, but they are always considered in a social context so I think you'll like it (the other option is a genetics module which is very sciency and apparently quite complicated).

Good luck, hope to see you in Durham!!

P.s. and other questions about the course or Durham feel free to ask
Reply 12

3rd best in the country..... has higher % of 1sts ... however Sociology lecturers are terribly dull compared to the anthropology ones, think its just something to do with the actually subject!!! (Anthropologists and sociologists dont seem to get on!). Also i have a very big tip for all you new students dont just go to the modules youve chosen check out the ones youve turned down, the course specifics may sound better but theres no better test than actually going to a lecture. I did and realised I wanted to change, not only was the course not what I expected but the lecturer was so dull, im so glad i changed... sociology of social change is a great module!!
Reply 13

No cuths guarantees too and you can get an en-suite too :-D and be fully self catered if you want...
Reply 14
Hi!! I do sociology at Durham so if you need any advice on the sociology side of things, feel free to ask! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending