The Student Room Group

The people protesting today are uneducated riff-raff

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moonkatt
So its about prudence when someone who has the potential to do well on a medical degree who comes from an unemployed family and cannot afford this? Is that what youre suggesting. Oh, tough, because Mum and Dad didn't get jobs youre screwed too mate? I'm not suggesting that everyone is suited to education, however to remove a part of a university that is there to support people from deprived backgrounds at times when purse stings are being tightened is going to make education even more inaccessable for them. Education may cost money, however its also an investment in a better qualified workforce for the future.

I didn't know undergrad med students had to pay up front. Give me a list of the names of these schools so I can avoid them in the next ucas cycle, please
So you don't think its important for the less fortunate to be encouraged into further education? Do you not think it would benefit society? With the rises in tuition fess surely universities will need departments like this to advise people on what support they can receive to go to university or is education just a preserve for the privileged?

One of the reasons you gave for not getting a degree was, lack of infomation, if they didn't get a degree for that reason then what business do they have doing one. Poverty, what about student loans?
The immigration reason is regretable, but cash is limited and all that.
You sound like such a snobby elitist git.

The kind of person who poses in coffee houses with an Apple laptop.
Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal
To the OP, you're a ball of fun, aren't you.

The people on the protest represent the millions of people who work in the public sector. These are people who work for the PUBLIC. That's you, that's me.

Try telling the person who serves you in the library how uneducated they are, or the surgeon who operates on you, or the fireman who rescues you from a burning building.

You ****.

I totally agree.

People though just can't call people uneducated, stupid and dumb just because they have views and opinions they don't like.

I like how people on this forum **** on everything. Some of you LOVE to hate. I was on the march. Everyone was friendly and I have never met so many friendly strangers in London.

The protests are just the start. The most important thing is organization and strategy
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't mind cuts where they genuinely needed.

But you can't justify cutting the NHS and education when we fire £55 million of taxpayers money into libya through the medium of tomahawk missiles, for the reason of "saving civilians" the civilians in question are not even British and happen to have the ability to use mortars and fly planes, they are less "civilians" and more "armed militia"

Meanwhile think of all the British civilians that will die due to NHS cuts.
Reply 105
Original post by Aj12
Anyone else find it interesting to see that Ed Miliband will now be running on a no cuts at all platform? You know if he does anything else he will have just lost himself 250ks worth of votes.

Whaaaat? I've been out so missed this, can you link me?
Reply 106
Original post by creak
Whaaaat? I've been out so missed this, can you link me?

Well I just assumed seeing as he was addressing a crowd ful lof people who were against the cuts and said a number of times the UK population reject the cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBSNZ1IhU6E

Only one I could find. Its just a shame the crowd seems to hate him at the start.
Original post by thunder_chunky
One thing that perplexes me is how any lack of satisfaction in the government means it's ok to go to the Ritz and start smashing windows.

You have to realise that:
1 - the violence yesterday was caused by a very small minority
2 - they probably weren't even bothered by the main march, they just wanted to cause trouble.

If you look at the people who were at the march: parents, people with kids, NHS nurses and doctors etc, they were not there to cause trouble. They were there because they are worried about their futures.
Original post by WelshBluebird
2 - they probably weren't even bothered by the main march, they just wanted to cause trouble.

If you look at the people who were at the march: parents, people with kids, NHS nurses and doctors etc, they were not there to cause trouble. They were there because they are worried about their futures.

But you cannot dismiss these people as mindless thugs. That would be incredibly unintelligent.

Why did these people trash Topshop, Boots, McDonald's, HSBC, The Ritz, etc? You'll find that these companies either are involved in zionist activities, tax dodging or just reperesent the interests of the bougeois class.

Myself, I do not believe in pacifism. Do you think the non violent approach would have worked in Egypt? The peaceful protest serves its purpose, but that is simply for just making people aware if your cause. I believe that you cannot fight just by holding up witty plaquards.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 109
Original post by LornaSandison1
I feel that anger is particularly justified when the government say we cannot afford this, that and the other thing, but when it comes to finding millions for a war in Libya, it's not a problem.

I know this post came way earlier in the thread but I feel the need to point out how mistaken you are. I didn't check to see if it had been done already, so I apologise if someone else already has :colondollar:

The action taken in Libya comes out of the defence budget, it is up to the MoD to pay for the intervention out of their budget. No extra money is being put in, funding isn't being diverted from other sectors in order to pay for it. This is why we have a defence budget in the first place.

Also, the type of military hardware being used isn't the sort that is needed in Afghanistan or anywhere else we are committed to, so we aren't stretching our forces unnecessarily either.

edit: it would seem this has been mentioned several times in the thread by other posters too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Expendable
The public sector workers need to get real; they have had the best pensions, best job security, best conditions etc for years and now are complaining when it gets too much like the private sector.

That's a major generalisation.

Original post by Expendable
Job cuts are nasty for anyone and will undoubtedly affect many families in a bad way but, given the economic deficit that we're in, are vital. What I don't agree with though is the Tories cutting all these jobs (good thing as reducing expenditure) and then wasting ridiculous amounts of money on foreign aid/military intervention.

I partly agree with you on the military intervention part, although as I've said to someone else, it's very difficult for the government to prioritise.

And yes, job cuts are nasty and probably vital, but that doesn't mean people have to be unselfish about it (I'm not sure whether it was you I was having this discussion with or not!). Although I guess it depends on how you define vital and which areas you think need cuts and which are important to maintain. I imagine most people would be perfectly happy with my Mum losing her job, for example, because nobody seems to consider her profession as important - she's a teaching assistant in a primary school.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by jblackmoustache
But you cannot dismiss these people as mindless thugs. That would be incredibly unintelligent.

Why did these people trash Topshop, Boots, McDonald's, HSBC, The Ritz, etc? You'll find that these companies either are involved in zionist activities, tax dodging or just reperesent the interests of the bougeois class.

Myself, I do not believe in pacifism. Do you think the non violent approach would have worked in Egypt? The peaceful protest serves its purpose, but that is simply for just making people aware if your cause. I believe that you cannot fight just by holding up witty plaquards.

Actually I think you will find the non violent protest worked pretty well in Egypt. Had they been violent the army may well have put them down rather than siding with them.
Original post by EnVogue
Why won't you be able to go to university? You don't have to bloody pay upfront!

My parents can't pay for my tuition or accommodation, so I'm using the loan.

I got the information from Student Finance England the other day about my grant/loan, it doesn't even cover my accommodation.
Original post by Keckers
I know this post came way earlier in the thread but I feel the need to point out how mistaken you are. I didn't check to see if it had been done already, so I apologise if someone else already has :colondollar:

The action taken in Libya comes out of the defence budget, it is up to the MoD to pay for the intervention out of their budget. No extra money is being put in, funding isn't being diverted from other sectors in order to pay for it. This is why we have a defence budget in the first place.

Also, the type of military hardware being used isn't the sort that is needed in Afghanistan or anywhere else we are committed to, so we aren't stretching our forces unnecessarily either.

edit: it would seem this has been mentioned several times in the thread by other posters too.

Yes, I know. But that doesn't mean that the defence budget can't be reduced and spent on other things. The money still has to come from somewhere, even if at the moment it's not being diverted away from other sources.

Anyway, if you'll read a few pages back, you'll find that I pointed out this issue myself (or it might have been on another thread, I can't remember). Either way, I'm not completely in disagreement with the Libya 'war'. My point was mainly that I can understand why others might be against it, when they see themselves losing their jobs, having to pay £9k for their tuition fees and not getting the same benefits from the NHS as they might have done a few years go, but seeing the government spend millions on war in Libya which they may or may not be in agreement with.
That's a major generalisation.

I partly agree with you on the military intervention part, although as I've said to someone else, it's very difficult for the government to prioritise.

And yes, job cuts are nasty and probably vital, but that doesn't mean people have to be unselfish about it (I'm not sure whether it was you I was having this discussion with or not!). Although I guess it depends on how you define vital and which areas you think need cuts and which are important to maintain. I imagine most people would be perfectly happy with my Mum losing her job, for example, because nobody seems to consider her profession as important - she's a teaching assistant in a primary school.

Is it? Let's see; what area of the public sector did/do your parents work for (Apart from the TA)? Arguably your mother hasn't got a brilliant pension from TA work, but the conditions are fairly good (I've done a few weeks work experience as a TA), good job satisfaction and security; how often do you see massive school redundancies compared to other professions? and Regardless of how much you consider it to be a generalisation, you cannot deny there is much, much more better pensions and job security (usually) than in the private sector. As traumatic as it is for families working in the public sector, people working in the private have been dealing with redundancies etc for years.

As somebody who's Mum actually previously was a Teacher Assistant in a Primary School, I can vouch for their importance, which is why personally I don't like excessive cuts in the education area, especially when schools are already not really up to scratch. However, when it comes down to it, Doctors and Police are arguably a lot more important to society as a whole, and even they are having cuts.

Again, workers in the Private Sector have been dealing with job losses etc for years, it just hardly ever affects the private sector.

I got the information from Student Finance England the other day about my grant/loan, it doesn't even cover my accommodation.

If both your parents are loosing jobs, you should get a lot more. If not, you'll have to get a Student Loan from the bank, like most people, or work part-time etc?
So its about prudence when someone who has the potential to do well on a medical degree who comes from an unemployed family and cannot afford this? Is that what youre suggesting. Oh, tough, because Mum and Dad didn't get jobs youre screwed too mate? I'm not suggesting that everyone is suited to education, however to remove a part of a university that is there to support people from deprived backgrounds at times when purse stings are being tightened is going to make education even more inaccessable for them. Education may cost money, however its also an investment in a better qualified workforce for the future.

Not all university courses contribute into making a "better qualified workforce" for the future?
Reply 116

Neither does mine.

I've been working for 2 years, and am taking on extra shifts and have a second job lined up for the summer.

I've been saving all my money for ages.
Original post by WelshBluebird

Yeah I accept that the people who did the damage were a minority, however I think it might be a bit naive to claim they didn't care about the cause. Considering some of their targets were banks and other places accused of dodging tax, I think they did care, however they just were prepared to act irrationally.

Yes we can call them as thugs, because that's exactly what they were. Doing so is not unintelligent it is fact. They used pent up anger to cause damage.
Because no matter what happens, acting in that way is in no way jusitfiable. In no way.

Firstly zionist activities? Sure ok, I'd like to know in detail what you mean by that. Secondly even if do "represent the interests of the bougeois class" so what? Does that justify criminal damage? And if the company is tax dodging does that mean criminal damage is ok?

The answer to those last two questions is no.
Violence and criminal damage is in no way acceptable least of all for those reasons.
You can't justify it at all. Not even all the broken windows and other damage to the banks.
The people who did said damage should be made to pay the costs.

Myself, I do not believe in pacifism.

:facepalm: Oh please, so if someone doesn't smash up a bank or break a window then they are a pacifist?
Don't be daft.

Do you think the non violent approach would have worked in Egypt? The peaceful protest serves its purpose, but that is simply for just making people aware if your cause. I believe that you cannot fight just by holding up witty plaquards.

:facepalm: :facepalm:
There is a difference between the protests in Egypt and the Middle East and the protests here. There is in fact a distinct difference. Those are protests agains violent dictatorships and regimes under which people have suffered and died, whereas the protests here are against the cuts which so far haven't really caused mass amounts of people to actually die, believe it or not.
Your comparison of the two is a very weak argument. Furthermore there is no way a person can logically defend the damage caused by the thugs or the violence they caused otherwise.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by thunder_chunky
Yeah I accept that the people who did the damage were a minority, however I think it might be a bit naive to claim they didn't care about the cause. Considering some of their targets were banks and other places accused of dodging tax, I think they did care, however they just were prepared to act irrationally.

Yes we can call them as thugs, because that's exactly what they were. Doing so is not unintelligent it is fact. They used pent up anger to cause damage.
Because no matter what happens, acting in that way is in no way jusitfiable. In no way.

Firstly zionist activities? Sure ok, I'd like to know in detail what you mean by that. Secondly even if do "represent the interests of the bougeois class" so what? Does that justify criminal damage? And if the company is tax dodging does that mean criminal damage is ok?

The answer to those last two questions is no.
Violence and criminal damage is in no way acceptable least of all for those reasons.
You can't justify it at all. Not even all the broken windows and other damage to the banks.
The people who did said damage should be made to pay the costs.

:facepalm: Oh please, so if someone doesn't smash up a bank or break a window then they are a pacifist?
Don't be daft.

:facepalm: :facepalm:
There is a difference between the protests in Egypt and the Middle East and the protests here. There is in fact a distinct difference. Those are protests agains violent dictatorships and regimes under which people have suffered and died, whereas the protests here are against the cuts which so far haven't really caused mass amounts of people to actually die, believe it or not.
Your comparison of the two is a very weak argument. Furthermore there is no way a person can logically defend the damage caused by the thugs or the violence they caused otherwise.

Out of interest - what is your idea of a good and effective protest?
Out of interest - what is your idea of a good and effective protest?

One where a stand is made, a point is made, one which starts and finishes peacefully, where there is as little violence as possible or preferably none.
Where thugs and idiots don't turn up just to cause trouble.

That would be a start

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending