The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a ginger guy who's never worried so much about hair colour as I never had a *massive* issue with the opposite sex, and although I'd prefer not to have abuse yelled at me in the street, I'm pretty secure in myself.

But the other day I took part in a sociology experiment where I dyed my hair dark brown and got a modest fake tan, the premise being "do people treat you differently when you're not ginger". I thought the whole idea was pretty stupid, but I was being paid, so I went along with it.

Oh dear god.

All of a sudden girls were saying I was hot. Like before I was being mostly ignored, but as soon as I covered up my red hair, I was attractive. Girls started hitting on me, and my female friends started saying I should just keep myself like this. Which I am actually seriously tempted to do. At least for a while.

But it still made me think.

Is ginger hair really THAT unattractive a quality? I always figured that most of the hate came from some kind of cultural demonising rather than it actually being offputting. Or that it was more directed at the freckles (which I don't have) that go hand in hand with a bunch of insances of the hair colour.

Would love to hear opinions.

This sordid experiment sounds like the "black like me" research carried out by the sociologist John Howard Griffin :L

Anyway that was offtopic, tbh, in my opinion, ginger people are nommy. I have a distinct love for many actors and musicians with ginger hair, so in my opinion no, ginger is FAR from unattractive.

Some of my friends say that ginger people are disgustingly ugly though, which I fail to understand. Sometimes I think people just say things like that so that they don't look weird for saying they do. I on the other hand couldn't care less :biggrin:
i think ginger is cool! ^_^ my father is ginger , and the elder of my 2 brothers is ginger!

ok...my dad WAS ginger - he's all grey now, lol :'D
I love ginger hair, its beautiful and very attractive.
Reply 24
Gingers :blush:
Reply 25
I think ginger hair can be cute.

Like Rupert Grint :h:

There was a guy on here the other day who was asking for hair advice and he was ginger and I thought he was good-looking :sexface:
I have a man crush on Josh Homme if that helps answer your question at all.
Reply 27
oh HELL no :wink:
Google Image Nick Santino. I would.
Gingers are awesome(: (i'm not ginger)

xx
Reply 28
I am a ginger haired male. The only time in my life when anyone made an effort to show that they fancied me was during the several years from about 24-30 that I regularly, and intensively, went to the gym. Despite me being tall, I possibly looked younger than my age and was so toned and glowing with health (and I also dressed well) that it also projected me with a veneer of great confidence.

But even then I heard some people say 'He'd be good looking if he wasn't ginger'.

Yet even when I was 'merely' normally thin rather than toned, from the age of 17, I had good hair cuts, I wore good shirts. I daresay that there was even something of David Bowie about myself on occasion, even if I say so myself (even my eyes are sometimes warmly blue and sometimes as cold as ice). But, pre-gym, this was not enough for people. They wanted more from me. It's like I always have to be extra courteous to people for them to deign to speak to me - it's like being a servant of the majority - but even then it's usually not worth it because I'm just seen as someone to patronise.

I find myself swinging between being really cool (cold, indifferent) to people just to see how they react to me when I'm not in 'servant' mode and then being warm. But I'm being warm out of generosity and the good humoured side of my nature rather than through feeling particularly warm to most people - I don't feel that they regard me as their species. I have many good qualities but I decide to keep them under wraps with most people because I feel like I am a performing seal - the good ginger as opposed to the dour ginger. I am just a stereotype to most people and there are more of them so it is not a fight that I can win in the real world. That is why I will have to win it in an more unreal world and why I have always enjoyed playing videogames and why I would like to be an author.

I know that there are some girls who say that they have a thing for ginger haired men but they still only say so out of curiousities sake or to 'be different' rather than seeing me as a real human being with some talents, some desires, some eccentricities and some hardships unrelated to me having ginger hair.
(edited 13 years ago)
me likey :sexface:
The ginger guy on tsr homepage = bang tidy!
Reply 31
I don't think they aren't attracted to it, but because of the stigma attached to it then they're probably more likely to avoid you. I'm not really interested in ginger guys but I don't really know why, I just don't find it attractive? Obviously if a hot guy with ginger hair came along I wouldn't be bothered about the social stigma.
Original post by n1r4v
This guy has some views on that matter

EY39fkmqKBM

oh god :L
if only that guy knew that posting that video would cause more trouble, i can't imagine the amount of youtube haters that have commented :/

(i'm a ginger......) and I think many ginger guys are hot :smile:
Reply 33
No! I love ginger hair :smile:
Man I hope not.
Me likey the gingers :ahee:
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
Me likey the gingers :ahee:

yeah uh buddy...
Reply 37
Original post by im so academic
You can be attractive and ginger:

Beautiful man. :daydreaming:
Original post by trig
Personallly I find ginger hair such an attractive quality:fan:
I'm not too keen on the freckles, but nice ginger hair makes someone go from good looking to HOT.
....I think I'm in the minority though.

:wink: Im minority too, i love ginger guys, i think they look sexy, well offcourse the features etc would have to matter aswell but honestly speaking ginger guys catch my attention more. (and im speaking from a ethnic girls point of view haha)
Original post by Foo.mp3

Original post by Foo.mp3
Have to hand it to him, Damien Lewis is a pretty smooth operator..

..don't think ginger hair is in and of itself a dealbreaker with most femmes but could be wrong?

No, but soft brunette does tops it off. :daydreaming: :daydreaming: :daydreaming:

Marry me.

Latest

Trending

Trending