The Student Room Group

Antidepressants label : "Don't drink alcohol". Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I did wonder this. I'm on a very low does of anti-depressants (not even the lowest does to treat depression) for headaches.
Reply 41
Original post by Tabers
I did wonder this. I'm on a very low does of anti-depressants (not even the lowest does to treat depression) for headaches.

10mg or 5?
Original post by rooney1000
well i didnt ask to be bullied which has led to my depression did i?

Never said you did, but surely that doesn't affect you ability to follow a simple instruction?
Reply 43
Original post by parpirate
Never said you did, but surely that doesn't affect you ability to follow a simple instruction?

well i want to have a good time with my friends once a week, i'm sorry
well i want to have a good time with my friends once a week, i'm sorry

And that's not possible without drinking and messing up your medication?
Original post by Jabblez
The reason is because Alcohol is a depressant, so when on ANTI depressants, you should avoid it as it may counteract what the tablets are doing.

That's not what depressant means.
Reply 46
And that's not possible without drinking and messing up your medication?

call me sad but its not possible in todays university culture unless you want to hang out with the boring people
Reply 47
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
That's not what depressant means.

but its a common misconception.
call me sad but its not possible in todays university culture unless you want to hang out with the boring people

You've got some pretty **** mates then if they'd stop you from going out with them just because you weren't drinking, or are you really just boring people who need to drink to enjoy each others company?
Reply 49
You've got some pretty **** mates then if they'd stop you from going out with them just because you weren't drinking, or are you really just boring people who need to drink to enjoy each others company?

no you dont understand. are you at uni?
Reply 50
10mg or 5?

I think I take 2 10mg a day but I only took one last night to be on the safe side after having a tiny drop to drink.
Reply 51
Original post by Tabers
I think I take 2 10mg a day but I only took one last night to be on the safe side after having a tiny drop to drink.

ok ur very careful thats a good thing
Reply 52
ok ur very careful thats a good thing

Didn't want to risk it after reading this thread. Plus I had to get up for work this morning so I really didn't want to be knocked out like my Dad thought might happen.
Reply 53
1. Alcohol is a depressent, so doctors tend not to engourge it as a treatemnt for depressed patients.
2. There can be reactions between the drug and the alcohol, so it cann affect the effiecny of the drug, or it can make you really sick and can actually be fatal, so please don't try it :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by LauriC
1. Alcohol is a depressent, so doctors tend not to engourge it as a treatemnt for depressed patients.
2. There can be reactions between the drug and the alcohol, so it cann affect the effiecny of the drug, or it can make you really sick and can actually be fatal, so please don't try it :smile:

but as godspeedgodhenna said, alcohol doesnt make u DEPRESSED, it just depresses ur nervous system
As has been mentioned by other posters some anti-depressants have interactions with certain foods and drinks such as alcohol. Taking alcohol with these may cause unpleasant side effects, but most importantly it may stop your medication from working.

Many anti-depressant medications also cause side effects such as nausea, insomnia or increased drowsiness and taking alcohol can worsen these effects.

I recommend that you discuss this issue with your GP or care co-ordinator. He or she will be able to discuss the medication you are prescribed in relation to your exact circumstances. There are many different anti-depression medications on the market, so you may want to discuss the option of using an alternative. (However, it is usually recommended not to take alcohol when starting any anti-depressant, then slowly introduce a moderate amount after a few weeks). On the other hand, you may feel that if the medication you are on is working it's not worth changing it.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by maturestudy
As has been mentioned by other posters some anti-depressants have interactions with certain foods and drinks such as alcohol. Taking alcohol with these may cause unpleasant side effects, but most importantly it may stop your medication from working.

Many anti-depressant medications also cause side effects such as nausea, insomnia or increased drowsiness and taking alcohol can worsen these effects.

I recommend that you discuss this issue with your GP or care co-ordinator. He or she will be able to discuss the medication you are prescribed in relation to your exact circumstances. There are many different anti-depression medications on the market, so you may want to discuss the option of using an alternative. (However, it is usually recommended not to take alcohol when starting any anti-depressant, then slowly introduce a moderate amount after a few weeks). On the other hand, you may feel that if the medication you are on is working it's not worth changing it.

Hope this helps :smile:

he said a little bit is ok
If your doctor has said alcohol is OK in moderation why not try and find a workable compromise with your mates. Perhaps have one or two drinks throughout the night alternating with soft drinks in between.

---
Alcohol is technically a 'depressant' but it also produces an increase in Serotonin in the brain. The problem with this spike in Serotonin is that, although it can make you feel good for a short time once the effect wears off the levels plummet and can leave you feeling even worse than before.

People who take ecstasy, which releases massive amounts of Serotonin in the brain, often report "comedowns" that last well into the middle of the week following the party.
Reply 58
but as godspeedgodhenna said, alcohol doesnt make u DEPRESSED, it just depresses ur nervous system

well then it'll just kill you, rather than make you more depressed. It's still not a good idea...
no you dont understand. are you at uni?

Yes I'm in my fourth year thanks. Just because your mates are drinking doesn't mean you have to, but hey it's your life and if you want to delay getting better then that's your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending