The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7700
JK.
OP
Original post by Karma Charger
I don't rate clichy as a defender, his positioning never looks good to me...

I think his stats show he's just about one of the best interceptors of the ball around atm, so I don't think you can really argue against his positioning. He used to have trouble with judgement coming forward, always committing when he should have stayed back, he seems to have sorted that out though.

Original post by Nasri08
Yeah thought so, if Clichy leaves (I don't want him to btw) Do you think he will play there?
Considering Gibbs is injury prone and unreliable atm...

I'm not too sure, tbh. Really you'd think we'd focus the better defensive players on the centre of defence but playing a 4-2-3-1 formation, the attacking wingbacks become crucial members of the team. I don't trust Gibbs nearly enough to have him as a first team lb atm, but then again I was saying that about Clichy until a few months ago. There's also Traore to consider, he's broken into the Juve first team, which given their defence over the last couple of seasons doesn't say that all that much, but he's playing regularly and getting some good experience - which after his period in the team last year, looked to be exactly what he needed. When it comes down to it, I can't see Clichy leaving and I can't see us having all 3 of Verm/Djourou/Kos fit at the same time (:colonhash:) anyway, which makes it kind of a pointless question. But if circumstances did arise where it was a possibility, I still doubt Wenger would go for it, Verm is very much a first choice CB when fit and the fact that the trio of Clichy/Gibbs/Traore are all very very similar in style suggests he'd rather field a player in that mould, anyway.

I'd be really interested to see a bit of Traore pre-season and see how he fits back in with the squad, if nothing else I think he could prove a good option as the wide left attacking option in some of the big games where we need the cover on the wings, pretty sure that's the role he's played in the french under 21s side for years now. Then again, I've felt the same about Gibbs potentially playing that role at times this season but we've not seen that once. :colonhash:
Reply 7701
Original post by marcusmerehay

:toofunny:

Quality :rofl3:
The issues with Clichy's defending could easily be addressed. It's not the issues he should have (which are an evident lack of strength and physicality) - as he seems to win a decent proportion of headers and can shepherd as much as most fullbacks... Where Clichy drives me insane is the tendency to dally.

I am so glad we have Sagna, though. The guy is all round excellent and just the kind of player we need to replicated throughout the squad to add stability.
Reply 7703
Fabio Capello has allowed Terry, Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole to return to Chelsea, Wayne Rooney to rejoin Manchester United and Michael Dawson to go back to Tottenham.

Why not Wilshere!!!!!!
Reply 7704
Original post by jit987
Fabio Capello has allowed Terry, Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole to return to Chelsea, Wayne Rooney to rejoin Manchester United and Michael Dawson to go back to Tottenham.

Why not Wilshere!!!!!!

Because the above players are due to play in the Champions League, basically. I believe he said he'll be making wholesale changes to the England lineup against Ghana, however, so there's a good chance Wilshere won't play most or all of the game anyway. :smile:
Original post by RobbieC
The issues with Clichy's defending could easily be addressed. It's not the issues he should have (which are an evident lack of strength and physicality) - as he seems to win a decent proportion of headers and can shepherd as much as most fullbacks... Where Clichy drives me insane is the tendency to dally.

I am so glad we have Sagna, though. The guy is all round excellent and just the kind of player we need to replicated throughout the squad to add stability.

Both our left backs are incredible going forward for full backs but things like their positioning is sometimes just painful. And the amount of times I see Clichy being dragged out of position is ridiculous, Sagna is often sprinting all the way across to left back when to make the challange when they're on the counter. I think we should try and clone Sagna and make it left footed and stick him on the left :smile:

I'm just glad to hear the guy is actually still alive, where is he at the matches?! He should be there on the bench or something.

I hate how the people who seem most excited when we score is the ****ing physios, the players never seem to care or actually support their team.
Or Pat Rice. He gets quite excited. :mmm:
Pat Rice

Evra

:colondollar:
2/10.
2/10.

only 2? 8, at least...
How about 3. :colonhash:
Reply 7712
I'd give it 8. :yep: Here:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Anyone else experiencing footy withdrawal symptoms?
Too much time has passed without an Arsenal game...
AND my knee isnt letting me play myself :frown:
Reply 7714
That is why it is called the Interlull.

I can't wait until we play Blackburn.
Reply 7715
What were the chances that Wenger watched the match today, brazil-scotland and now has his sight on Neymar in the summer transfer? :ninja:
Reply 7716
Original post by jit987

Original post by jit987
What were the chances that Wenger watched the match today, brazil-scotland and now has his sight on Neymar in the summer transfer? :ninja:

One can dream :/
Original post by jit987

Nil. He was watching an u-7s game in Peru.
got tickets for the blackburn game, clock end get in!
Reply 7719
Original post by jit987

No point in watching when he won't fork out the money. Neymar's probably already agreed to join the Chelsea Brazil revelotion.

Latest