The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hygeia
Here you go :smile:

Thank you so much Hygeia, you are amazing!! :elefant:
It's been a long day. 2 matches, then Pimm's o'clock lasted from 3:30 until we went to the pub.
Reply 2322
Original post by Kinkerz
We get some 'formal teaching' of it. At the time I was irritated by it and thought it was ridiculous but with hindsight I think it's quite a good thing. Patients will no doubt ask about it and if you have little idea of what actually happens, it's not going to look particularly good. Also, it's much more difficult to brush it off it as quackery if you don't know anything about the 'processes' :p:

What exactly did they teach you? Did they teach it to you as pseudoscience or a legitimate proven therapy?

If they wanted you to know more about it, couldn't they just have given you a copy of Goldacre's Bad Science? It's got everything you need to know (about homeopathy at least).
Original post by SMed
What exactly did they teach you? Did they teach it to you as pseudoscience or a legitimate proven therapy?

If they wanted you to know more about it, couldn't they just have given you a copy of Goldacre's Bad Science? It's got everything you need to know (about homeopathy at least).

We just had a sort of 'workshop'. There were stations where 'practitioners' of homeopathy, acupuncture, etc. gave a ten minute talk about their occupation. Then there was a discussion in groups afterwards with tutors.
Reply 2324
Original post by Kinkerz
We just had a sort of 'workshop'. There were stations where 'practitioners' of homeopathy, acupuncture, etc. gave a ten minute talk about their occupation. Then there was a discussion in groups afterwards with tutors.

Who were the tutors? Were they real academics?
Original post by SMed
Who were the tutors? Were they real academics?

Yes. They weren't practicing quackists!
Reply 2326
Original post by Kinkerz
Yes. They weren't practicing quackists!

Good, lol. Non-quackademics. :biggrin:

Were many lols had?
Original post by SMed
Good, lol. Non-quackademics. :biggrin:

Were many lols had?

A fair few lols and rants. And another fair few quotes from Bad Science (often from myself :proud:).
Reply 2328
"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!"

:biggrin:
Original post by SMed
"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!"

:biggrin:

So this is something you feel quite strongly about... :p:
Reply 2330
Original post by Kinkerz
So this is something you feel quite strongly about... :p:

Have you not seen my sig? :wink:
Reply 2331
Original post by Kinkerz
Argh, I really like the look of the neuro one. Probably more so than the immunity. It's such a killer that I'd probably never get in!

Most of my 'smart' friends are doing neuro.
I have a "smart" to an extent friend doing neuro at Imperial too. Though he never went to lectures at all, he's just a fast learner, so not sure how smart he actually is... Shame really, he'd do better if he actually bothered to turn up.
Original post by SMed
Most of my 'smart' friends are doing neuro.

That bodes even less well.
Original post by Kinkerz

This sort of weak BS makes my blood boil. Some people had a second year medsoc placement (every fortnight) going off to some bloody hot stone healing therapy or some nonsense until our Warden heard about it and kicked off majorly.
Original post by Jessaay!
I have a "smart" to an extent friend doing neuro at Imperial too. Though he never went to lectures at all, he's just a fast learner, so not sure how smart he actually is... Shame really, he'd do better if he actually bothered to turn up.

The whole no effort yet win thing is quite a big compliment imo
Original post by digitalis
This sort of weak BS makes my blood boil. Some people had a second year medsoc placement (every fortnight) going off to some bloody hot stone healing therapy or some nonsense until our Warden heard about it and kicked off majorly.

I felt similarly at the time. Now, although I have no inclination to go along with what CAM practitioners claim, I don't think it was so bad. I'm glad I'm more aware about what they do, so if and when I'm asked by a patient, I can competently answer. I don't really think I could have before for anything other than homeopathy.
Just out of interest, how much time off do you first years get off? For Christmas, Easter and Summer? As well as how much "private study time" you get before your end of years/module exams. Having a discussion with some other students and this came up.
Original post by digitalis

Acupuncture isn't so bad. The rest of the ****, not so much.

I heard about the homoeopathic MedSoc bollucks. Although, tbf, you'd probably learn an equal amount of medicine at some of the GP placements (mine included). Those things are a gigantic waste of time.
Reply 2339
Original post by RollerBall
Acupuncture isn't so bad. The rest of the ****, not so much.

(uh oh)

What is so good about acupuncture?

Latest

Trending

Trending