The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smophy
The article says that this (teaching acceptance of homosexuality) has no place in a healthy, normal society.

The BNP has no place in a healthy, normal society!

no, it says that the teaching of sex to children of 5 is wrong, and I agree.

Your second point - you clearly aren't a person who thinks that democracy extends to anyone other than the people with the same opinion as yourself - and that has no place in a healthy society.
Original post by mathperson
you are trying to argue that it wouldn't take away their childhood, but I argue it would because children don't need or want to be thinking about those things at 5.

But children, even at 5, know about relationships. Maybe not in much detail, but kids still play kiss chase etc. I don't see the problem in just saying that its not always a man and a woman.

I think that the reson we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in europe is not because we are doing something right by teaching 5 years olds about sex.

Exactly. You think. As far as I am aware, there is no evidence to suggest that teaching children about relationships (not sex!) leads to higher teen pregnancy. If anything, the evidence (other countries) suggests that it helps reduce it.

I don't understand your last point, it sounds like a loony left comment.

My point was that how the bloody hell can something like that harm a child. It is madness to even suggest it. Now, if we were talking about a poster showing how gay people have sex, I would agree with you. But we are not talking about that. We are just talking about a poster that shows families can be different, in terms of size and genders within it.
There is nothing wrong with homosexuality.

/thread
Original post by imperial maniac
Cannibalism is not normal or socially acceptable, so saying that kinda undermines your argument, doesn't it?

CANNIBALISM IS NORMAL! Cannibalism happens for different reasons- sometimes it is necessary in times of famine or because it is sanctioned by cultural norm (This is the point I'm getting at- cannibalism is socially acceptable in many socieites, just because it's not in ours, it doesn't give us the right to condemn it as "unnatural" and "wrong". You have absoultely no right to criticise another culture or society when you have no comprehension of what it is even like).

It don't undertand how it can undermine my argument...
Original post by WelshBluebird
But children, even at 5, know about relationships. Maybe not in much detail, but kids still play kiss chase etc. I don't see the problem in just saying that its not always a man and a woman.

Exactly. You think. As far as I am aware, there is no evidence to suggest that teaching children about relationships (not sex!) leads to higher teen pregnancy. If anything, the evidence (other countries) suggests that it helps reduce it.

My point was that how the bloody hell can something like that harm a child. It is madness to even suggest it. Now, if we were talking about a poster showing how gay people have sex, I would agree with you. But we are not talking about that. We are just talking about a poster that shows families can be different, in terms of size and genders within it.

the point about this whole thread is the age, not whether homosexuality is 'right or wrong', you just don't get it do you.
Reply 225
Original post by LauriC
CANNIBALISM IS NORMAL! Cannibalism happens for different reasons- sometimes it is necessary in times of famine or because it is sanctioned by cultural norm (This is the point I'm getting at- cannibalism is socially acceptable in many socieites, just because it's not in ours, it doesn't give us the right to condemn it as "unnatural" and "wrong". You have absoultely no right to criticise another culture or society when you have no comprehension of what it is even like).

It don't undertand how it can undermine my argument...

Cultural relativism is a facile concept.
Err, just encouraging non-self hatred in those people who are and acceptance in those who arent. Whats wrong with that? And whats so bad about showing homosexuality is as acceptable as heterosexuality.
the point about this whole thread is the age, not whether homosexuality is 'right or wrong', you just don't get it do you.

I do "get it". That is why I am disagreeing with you. I just don't agree that telling children that homosexuality is not wrong and is "normal" would be harmful to them.
If we are talking about the specifics of sex, then I would agree with you. But as far as I am aware, that is not what is going on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aexis
Cultural relativism is a facile concept.

Yes. What's your point? That's why I'm so frustrated that 'imperial manic' doesn't seem to achnolwledge what I'm saying.
Reply 229
no, it says that the teaching of sex to children of 5 is wrong, and I agree.

Your second point - you clearly aren't a person who thinks that democracy extends to anyone other than the people with the same opinion as yourself - and that has no place in a healthy society.

Racism and homophobia have no place in a healthy society. These are hateful and negative views. I accept anyone with opinions different to mine as long as they are not hateful and negative like those of the BNP.

Can you give me a quote from that (very unreliable) article that says they are teaching sex to children as young as five please because I seemed to of missed that part.

Even if that article says so I am more than certain that NO school is teaching 5 year olds about sex. Five year olds are taught about relationships! None of the five year olds i teach are taught about sex and no 5 year olds in the other schools I work in are taught it either and never will be as the teachers and parents would find it absolutely barbaric.
Original post by WelshBluebird
I do "get it". That is why I am disagreeing with you. I just don't agree that telling children that homosexuality is not wrong and is "normal" would be harmful to them.
If we are talking about the specifics of sex, then I would agree with you. But as far as I am aware, that is not what is going on.

the most backward comment I have ever seen on TSR.

Encouraging acceptance is fine, but forcing your opinions down the throats of 5 year olds is perverse.
Original post by Smophy
Racism and homophobia have no place in a healthy society. These are hateful and negative views. I accept anyone with opinions different to mine as long as they are not hateful and negative like those of the BNP.

Can you give me a quote from that (very unreliable) article that says they are teaching sex to children as young as five please because I seemed to of missed that part.

Even if that article says so I am more than certain that NO school is teaching 5 year olds about sex. Five year olds are taught about relationships! None of the five year olds i teach are taught about sex and no 5 year olds in the other schools I work in are taught it either and never will be as the teachers and parents would find it absolutely barbaric.

Firstly I just want to say this, using the big buzz work: 'race', at me won't get me in a flap and stop debate. Race is nothing to do with it.

The only reason you say that the article is unreliable is because of it's authors, despite not knowing how they got the information. I bet you're one of these who thinks that the BNP is a bunch of dishonest people, and that labour are a bunch of angels. If you want to talk about which parties are unreliable, I'm more than happy to.

If you would find it barbaric teaching 5 year olds about sex, why don't you find it barbaric teaching them about adult relationships. Its pathetic, it should be left to parents, and children should have a childhood.
Reply 232
Firstly I just want to say this, using the big buzz work: 'race', at me won't get me in a flap and stop debate. Race is nothing to do with it.

The only reason you say that the article is unreliable is because of it's authors, despite not knowing how they got the information. I bet you're one of these who thinks that the BNP is a bunch of dishonest people, and that labour are a bunch of angels. If you want to talk about which parties are unreliable, I'm more than happy to.

If you would find it barbaric teaching 5 year olds about sex, why don't you find it barbaric teaching them about adult relationships. Its pathetic, it should be left to parents, and children should have a childhood.

For starters I only mentioned race because that article does. The BNP can't go two minutes without bringing it up.

I said that the article is unreliable as the authors are biased. I haven't said anything about Labour so what is to say that I support them?! I do not think that the labour party are all a bunch of angels and neither have I said that the BNP are dishonest. I said they support racist and homophobic ideologies.

How is telling a child " some children have a mummy and daddy, some have just a mummy or just a daddy and some have two mummy's or two daddy's" is taking away their childhood?!
Original post by Smophy
For starters I only mentioned race because that article does. The BNP can't go two minutes without bringing it up.

I said that the article is unreliable as the authors are biased. I haven't said anything about Labour so what is to say that I support them?! I do not think that the labour party are all a bunch of angels and neither have I said that the BNP are dishonest. I said they support racist and homophobic ideologies.

How is telling a child " some children have a mummy and daddy, some have just a mummy or just a daddy and some have two mummy's or two daddy's" is taking away their childhood?!

well let me put it like this, if I was sat in my classroom at 5 and a my teacher started talking about homosexual relationships, I would have thought that she would have suddenly gone mental, not because I believe people can't do what they like, but because it is innappropriate for 5 year olds, and why the hell would anyone want to. I'd love to meet the person who first suggested "I know, lets start teaching 5 year olds about homosexuality", weirdo.

You did not mention race because the article mentions it briefly, you thought you'd use the buzzword and suddenly I would jump up and get my pc high visibility jacket on and stop questioning and telling people I don't think it's right.
Reply 234
well let me put it like this, if I was sat in my classroom at 5 and a my teacher started talking about homosexual relationships, I would have thought that she would have suddenly gone mental, not because I believe people can't do what they like, but because it is innappropriate for 5 year olds, and why the hell would anyone want to. I'd love to meet the person who first suggested "I know, lets start teaching 5 year olds about homosexuality", weirdo.

You did not mention race because the article mentions it briefly, you thought you'd use the buzzword and suddenly I would jump up and get my pc high visibility jacket on and stop questioning and telling people I don't think it's right.

Don't tell me why I said something. I said it because it is relevant to the BNP and the article that this thread is discussing.

No teacher is going to just start talking about homosexual relationships. They would discuss the different relationships and different home lifes just as they would discuss different cultures and they would encourage the acceptance of these differences.
Original post by Smophy
Don't tell me why I said something. I said it because it is relevant to the BNP and the article that this thread is discussing.

No teacher is going to just start talking about homosexual relationships. They would discuss the different relationships and different home lifes just as they would discuss different cultures and they would encourage the acceptance of these differences.

on the contrary, it isn't. Also, it doesn't matter who wrote the article, you can't claim an article is bias just because it doesn't suit what you believe based on who wrote it, you need to know where they got the information from, which you don't know.

Like the other guy, you just do not get it do you, it... isn't.... right... for... 5... year... olds.
Reply 236
I just tried to comment on the article, it said a moderator has to check my comment before it can be published. No hope then. The BNP are a barrel of laughs.
Reply 237
on the contrary, it isn't. Also, it doesn't matter who wrote the article, you can't claim an article is bias just because it doesn't suit what you believe based on who wrote it, you need to know where they got the information from, which you don't know.

Like the other guy, you just do not get it do you, it... isn't.... right... for... 5... year... olds.

It does matter who wrote the article. The article is written by or for a political party that has openly cited homophobic ideologies. It doesn't matter where they got their information from as it is how they have written the article that is biased. A party that is in favour of homosexual rights could use the same information source and develop a completely different article.

I think you are the one that doesn't get it. It is right for 5+ year olds to be taught about relationships!! Before you get on your high horse I do NOT mean sexual relationships.

The more children that are taught acceptance the less people there will be to write such articles in the future.
People don't choose their sexualities, so teaching that it's normal isn't going to make more people gay! There's nothing wrong with being homosexual, so I don't see where there's be any problems to be honest; teaching that same sex couples are fine is making sure that there's little-no hatred towards them in the furture.
Original post by Smophy
It does matter who wrote the article. The article is written by or for a political party that has openly cited homophobic ideologies. It doesn't matter where they got their information from as it is how they have written the article that is biased. A party that is in favour of homosexual rights could use the same information source and develop a completely different article.

I think you are the one that doesn't get it. It is right for 5+ year olds to be taught about relationships!! Before you get on your high horse I do NOT mean sexual relationships.

The more children that are taught acceptance the less people there will be to write such articles in the future.

what, so saying that teaching 5 year olds about relationships is wrong, is biased? lol

thats another buzz word on TSR isn't it (apart from racist), because when we say biased what do you mean, well what you mean is that the article indicates that the writer has an opinion - everyone has a right to an opinion, and you wouldn't expect a political party not to have an opinion.
You're just saying it is biased because you are trying to create an atmosphere of rejection aver the article in the name of loony left policies.
The article says that the children are being encouraged to dance around in frocks to the gay stories they are reading. They are being encouraged to essentially abandon what they want to do in favour of what a far left loony wants them to do.

The comment at the end of the article is "The teaching of sexual propaganda to children is akin to child abuse and has no place in a healthy, normal society." What do you think is incorrect/wrong about this statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending