The Student Room Group

Do you believe peaceful protest actually works?

Poll

Do you think peaceful protest actually works

Do you think peaceful protest works? Obviously in the ideal world peaceful protest is the way to go, but when peaceful protest falls flat on it's face then what choice is left?

Can someone tell me when our goverment (meaning British government) last caved in to pressure from a peaceful protest? The protest you suggest as well has had to have a good long term effect. The fuel protests were successful, but look at us now. Back to where we were.

I believe myself that peaceful protest does not work today in the modern world.

If you don't agree with me can you give me an alternative? I can't see one. When the goverment will not listen to peaceful protest, what other alternative is there to get your point accross in an efficient way? one which will work, and one which will do your cause good.

Also: No name dropping (e.g. Martin Luther King, Ghandi, etc) because we know them all.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ghandi
Martin Luther King
etc etc.

I think there needs to be some specific conditions for it to work though.
Reply 2
Worked for Joanna Lumley.
It only works when the vast majority of the public do it, e.g. 'colour revolutions'.
Original post by Clip
Worked for Joanna Lumley.

Would it have worked for someone who wasn't famous? :/
Reply 5
Don't know. But if I had the choice between getting a minor celebrity to front my cause, or smash up central London, I would certainly opt for the former.
Nope, or at least not anymore. It does with truly massive events i.e the Egyptian Revolution, but not in the UK on policy issues.

The Stop the War protest was incomprehensibly large yet it still did bugger all. I wish protests mattered, but I guess when the government in power has a majority (ish) backing, they can claim legitimacy and therefore largely ignore the demands of any protest.
Reply 7
No. Actions speak louder than words.
Original post by Rzc

That's also the name of a Jimmy Cliff song I like :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Rzc

Not really.

What has the student violence and the violence shown us yesterday? It gives the government and the media the chance to show the entire movement as violent and thuggish turning the rest of the public against you.
:redface:
Regardless of whether it is constructive or not, peaceful protests will continue to happen. We have the right to protest and people aren't going to let this right go to waste without utilizing it to its full extent. I don't particularly think that the goverment mind a good olde protest; waving placards in the air while marching through London may satisfy the rebellious side to certain individuals, but there is no way that this is going to change the goverments mind. In regards to this recent protest against public sector cuts, the budget has already been announced and I'm afraid it's just too little too late to protest now. I've never heard of a goverment changing their entire budget just to please a few pushy proletariats. Sorry protesters, but you're pretty much wasting your time :redface:
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
Nope, or at least not anymore. It does with truly massive events i.e the Egyptian Revolution, but not in the UK on policy issues.

That's the problem with peaceful protest...it only seems to work when you have LOADS of people out showing their solidarity.

Peaceful protest and violence I believe should both go together along with discussion and negotiation.
Reply 12
Original post by jblackmoustache
Do you think peaceful protest works? Obviously in the ideal world peaceful protest is the way to go, but when peaceful protest falls flat on it's face then what choice is left?

Can someone tell me when our goverment (meaning British government) last caved in to pressure from a peaceful protest? The protest you suggest as well has had to have a good long term effect. The fuel protests were successful, but look at us now. Back to where we were.

I believe myself that peaceful protest does not work today in the modern world.

If you don't agree with me can you give me an alternative? I can't see one. When the goverment will not listen to peaceful protest, what other alternative is there to get your point accross in an efficient way? one which will work, and one which will do your cause good.

Also: No name dropping (e.g. Martin Luther King, Ghandi, etc) because we know them all.

Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association.

Unluckily for them, despite getting what they wanted, other ne'erdowells took advantage of the situation.
Reply 13
The only protest that works is the one that gets the results it desires.
It depends on how the media portray the protests. Do they hone in on the peaceful side, or do they focus more on the violent aspects of the protests? This determines how the public and politicians respond to the aims of the demonstrations.
Reply 15
Original post by jblackmoustache
That's the problem with peaceful protest...it only seems to work when you have LOADS of people out showing their solidarity.

Peaceful protest and violence I believe should both go together along with discussion and negotiation.

a protest only should work if you have LOADS of people out, other wise it becomes whoever shouts loudest wins rather than a proper democracy.
a vocal minority should not get what they want over a silent majority and if they truly are a majority then LOADS will turn out
It definitely can work - I don't see it working in the UK though.

People rarely protest over "proper" issues here. As such, they have no motivation to see it through. Take the peaceful aspects of what's happening in the Middle East. Where they worked, people devoted their lives to the cause. Here in Britain, people may walk down the road in a group a couple of times, but as it's ultimately just a knee-jerk reaction to something they think will negligibly decrease their quality of life, it soon fizzles out and is easily ignored.
Reply 17
Original post by Aj12
Not really.

What has the student violence and the violence shown us yesterday? It gives the government and the media the chance to show the entire movement as violent and thuggish turning the rest of the public against you.

OK, enjoy signing a petition instead then.
Original post by Rzc

this..to a portion of an extent.

Look at Libiya, would they get rid of gaddafi via peaceful protests, when they were being kidnapped and murdered?
Reply 19
Original post by sixthformer
this..to a portion of an extent.

Look at Libiya, would they get rid of gaddafi via peaceful protests, when they were being kidnapped and murdered?

Maybe if we sent him an e-mail to step down from Government...he might? :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending