The Student Room Group

Girls, do you use tampons or sanitary towels?

Scroll to see replies

Mooncup! Well worth it, saves money, only have to empty it twice a day... 3 times first day

I would only go back to disposables in an absolute emergency
I keep hearing how tampons are so much 'easier'... how the heck do you figure that out? I don't think you can get much simpler than pulling some paper off a pad and sticking it to your knickers. :tongue: But I find tampons impossibly difficult to use. I've been trying for over a decade, and I just can't work out how to use them.

Pads are hella inconvenient, though. I can't lie on my back or my front because they leak, I have to miss gymnastics and dance classes because the pads move too much and they're visible through my shorts, and they take up so much space in my handbag.
I use both at the same time too and perhaps change every few hours. OH! Boots has them on offer :biggrin:
Original post by UglyDucklin'g
I use both at the same time too and perhaps change every few hours. OH! Boots has them on offer :biggrin:

People use both :lolwut:

Anyway, yeah, tampons. Do not like pads.
Your missing another option!!!
Mooncup-:

- Feels so much cleaner
- Much more comfortable
- Less cramps
- Never have to go out and buy.

Thats my opinion anyway. I heard about this option on the Studentroom and never plan to go back to using the other two options.
For the first few days at least, just to be extra careful :biggrin:
Same! saves so much effort! have had one period since last june!!
Hehehehe THC, that's classic! TSS is what you're after. THC is something else entirely :tongue: hehe.

To answer the OP; sometimes use pads, sometimes use tampons. Depends what I'm wearing, generally. If I'm wearing a skirt or dress, then a tampon, but if I'm in trousers or jeans I'll use a pad.
Original post by Jadelyndsey
My friend went swimming with her boyfriend (now ex) whilst on her period and wore a tampon. She was walking down the ladders and her boyfriend noticed some white string dangling down by her thighs. He said "oh Faye, hold on a second, you've got a little..." then BAM! Used tampon pulled out her girly cave, and thrown (in horror) about 10 feet into the middle of the pool. Needless to say, that relationship lasted about the same length as the tampon string.

:biggrin:

I read that exact story on FML :hmmm:
Original post by CookieDoughLove
I don't understand how they would work though. I assume you have to wash them every time you go to the toilet/every time you need to change.....so how are you going to use one if you go shopping and theres no taps in the cubicles? Sorry if I sound like a right doughtnut ha! But I don't really know much about them :colondollar:

Hehe it's alright, I wasn't really sure about them when I first heard about them. But changing them isn't really a problem at all, they hold a lot more than tampons so you can leave it in for longer without worrying, and because of what they're made from there isn't a risk of TSS (I don't think?) I generally just empty it in the morning before i head out then once i get home. Although to be honest sometimes I forget all about it for a good 12 hours and its still ok. If you did need to change it in public loos or in houses where the loo is separate from the sink you can just use a water bottle to rinse it or if need be use some tissue :smile: If you don't like the sight of blood I wouldn't recommend it though :P Also, when you first see it you will probably think 'how the **** is that going to fit up there' but trust me it does and you don't feel it at all :wink: You get a booklet with instructions and various techniques for putting it in.

Oops someone already answered your question, but hope that helped anyway :smile:
Reply 131
tampons, i don't know why anyone would wear a towel when you can wear a tampon?
Mooncup :love: Best. Thing. Ever.
Reply 133
Original post by blinkbelle
Mooncup FTW xx

yeah- I've been using them for 5 months now. But it will always be tampon over pads (they make my skin crawl)
Original post by magic_unicorn
Your missing another option!!!
Mooncup-:

- Feels so much cleaner
- Much more comfortable
- Less cramps
- Never have to go out and buy.

Thats my opinion anyway. I heard about this option on the Studentroom and never plan to go back to using the other two options.

You forgot the part when you have to spill the blood from the cup into the sink/toilet and wash it and then put it back inside you. Eww.:s-smilie: I buy the big package of tampons and have to buy them like twice a year maybe. The cramps/comfort/cleanliness is the same and you don't have to deal with blood.
Haha, im on now, and pads it is. i think i find tampons way too uncomfotable.
Original post by Shadowplay
You forgot the part when you have to spill the blood from the cup into the sink/toilet and wash it and then put it back inside you. Eww.:s-smilie: I buy the big package of tampons and have to buy them like twice a year maybe. The cramps/comfort/cleanliness is the same and you don't have to deal with blood.

How is that any more disgusting than tampons? You're still sticking your fingers up yourself and getting blood on them. Mooncups have no risk of TSS and aren't stuffed full of bleach and other crappy chemicals like tampons.
(edited 13 years ago)
After reading into Mooncup more, I really want to try it.

Should be getting one tomorrow :smile:
Both for me. Towels for light flow and tampons for anything else. Much prefer tampons because everything feels so much cleaner and you can forget about being on to a certain extent. I read a few people saying they can't use tampons on the first page, just a word of advice, if you can feel them then you haven't put them in right so try again if you can, I didn't use tampons for the first couple of years but wish I had of persevered because they are so much better than pads! I use lube otherwise I really struggle to get them in (tmi?) but once they're in place you can forget about them.

Also tried a mooncup after reading rave reviews on here but God the pain! It was worse than a speculum examination!
Original post by hbandtr4eva
How is that any more disgusting than tampons? You're still sticking your fingers up yourself and getting blood on them. Mooncups have no risk of TSS and aren't stuffed full of bleach and other crappy chemicals like tampons.

Amen sister! :tongue: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending