The Student Room Group

Resitting 2 AS modules, still chance of London Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tania<3
UCL don't like it when you retake A2 modules but yeah like everyone said they probably won't mind retakes for A2.

Is this for 2012 entry? I'm applying for next year :smile: :biggrin: which other places are you gonna apply to?

oh good :smile:

yeah 2012, i'm not sure yet, probably cardiff and leicester... keele sounds good too. also thinking of kings. what about you?
Reply 21
Original post by Duckasaurus
This thread might be useful in terms of UCL: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1274355

Apparently they changed their rules, lots of new hoops to jump through, no retakes at A2, must take exams at a certain time, etc. I suggest you read the .pdf attached. And if in doubt, contact them.

As an aside, I'm completely agreeing with the others on this thread- don't go to a uni for medicine because of "prestige" they all teach the MBBS, and all must teach it to a good standard. I wouldn't block off the other London Unis- you may find that Kings, St Georges, or Barts will take retakes, and are much more suited to what you want in a course. :smile:

thanks for the link, helpful..... is that true though? it doesn't say it on their prospectus.

yes i know, but i like UCL as a course, location, university.
Original post by Bellissima
oh good :smile:

yeah 2012, i'm not sure yet, probably cardiff and leicester... keele sounds good too. also thinking of kings. what about you?

I like the idea of staying in London so I'm gonna try for UCL and Kings at the least... Got an Imperial open day next week so I'll see how that goes and if I like it or not :smile: BSMS sounds good too, I went there at the end of year 10 for a chem camp and loved the uni of Sussex :smile:

I'm just getting reaallyyyy worried about BMAT and UKCAT shiz! :frown:
Original post by Bellissima
i was told that universities like oxbridge, UCL manchester etc. were harder to get in to and had more of a "prestige" (which is not the reason i want go by the way since i'm not interested in any of the others, the course sounds really good and i want to go to london). it doesn't really matter it's just what my college tutor calls them i can edit it out if you want.

no not for the actual degree, i also like cardiff and Leicester, it's just I want to be in london and the course sounds good for what i want to do like UCL having really big dissection and the SSCs etc. most people have a preference.

do either of you know the answer?

In answer to your original question the universities won't even know that you resat or about to resit AS modules so this shouldn't be a factor at all in the selection process as lots of students resit AS modules even if in some cases it's just a case wanting to boost scores when they already have a good enough mark.

Now in answer to your question about prestige, who told you all that? Were they medical students? GPs? Consultants? University tutors? As people have pointed out it makes little difference to your prospects where you studied Medicine (in the UK at least).

Also if it was a case the more prestigious universities being "harder to get into" than statistically places like Peninsula and BSMS and Leeds receive more applications per place than some of those you mentioned (certainly true for Oxbridge).

TBH saying you're studying at medical school, I'd say that's something quite prestigious as not every student gets to say that. On top of the fact that supposedly 60% of applicants receive no offers I'd think the reaction to getting an offer would be like cradling a Turkish Angora kitten, wrapped in a warm blanket in your arms. It's precious!
Reply 24
Original post by tania<3
I like the idea of staying in London so I'm gonna try for UCL and Kings at the least... Got an Imperial open day next week so I'll see how that goes and if I like it or not :smile: BSMS sounds good too, I went there at the end of year 10 for a chem camp and loved the uni of Sussex :smile:

I'm just getting reaallyyyy worried about BMAT and UKCAT shiz! :frown:

yeah i'm hoping to go to the UCL open day, since i can't make the imperial one... it looks ok but UCL looks better.

me too, sound soo hard and there's not a lot of practice papers for one of them, i'm just forgetting about it until i have to do them.
Regardless of which med school, surely they won't know as long as the resits are within the normal 2 year period?

OP: I resat several AS modules with my A2s and the med schools never found out
Original post by Warrior King

Also if it was a case the more prestigious universities being "harder to get into" than statistically places like Peninsula and BSMS and Leeds receive more applications per place than some of those you mentioned (certainly true for Oxbridge).

This means approximately 0 because the standard of the oxbridge competition will likely be higher. Many very good but not super incredible applicants will be put off just because of the potential for it being a wasted slot. Universities like Peninsula with a reputation for giving low offers would tend to attract people not as academically strong as that.
Original post by thisismycatch22
This means approximately 0 because the standard of the oxbridge competition will likely be higher. Many very good but not super incredible applicants will be put off just because of the potential for it being a wasted slot. Universities like Peninsula with a reputation for giving low offers would tend to attract people not as academically strong as that.

What a load of rubbish. Frstly Peninsula now makes it standard offers at AAA which if my memory serves me correctly is in line (at this moment in time) with most of the other universities if not all of them with the exception of Cambrdge who ask for A*AA.

I had a profle good enough to apply for Oxbridge. Applied to Oxford, got interviewed didn't get an offer. I wouldn't say it was a wasted slot at all. If I wasn't good enough for consideration I wouldn't have got past the BMAT/pre-interview screening and Oxford unlike Cambridge interview very few applicants for Medicine.

I can partly see the point you're trying (but failing) to make in that only the strongest candidates from ther respectve schools wll consider applying Oxbridge if they feel they have a decent shot.

The vast majority of people in my year group got AT LEAST AAA at A-Level so there is no question of their academic potential.

But as we have said time and again academics alone are not sufficient to see you through Medicine.
Reply 28

Peninsula actually make higher offers than oxford.
They require A*AA to AAA and an extra A at AS.

Also i dont think the standard at oxbridge is any higher, especially not at cambridge as so many people get into cambridge and not into any of their other choices.
Lets face it .... nearly every single medicine applicant could apply to oxbridge in general as well as for medicine.

I know someone who got into Cambridge and sheffield but not into Manc and Notts, does that mean Manc is more superior especially as they dont place a lot on GCSEs and more on interview and access students go there .... clearly that person was crap if they couldnt get in Manc because clearly Manc is easier to get into (sarcasm for those who dont recognise it), thus indirectly im more superior than a cambridge applicant as i got into Manc ... my logic is infallible :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
What a load of rubbish. Frstly Peninsula now makes it standard offers at AAA which if my memory serves me correctly is in line (at this moment in time) with most of the other universities if not all of them with the exception of Cambrdge who ask for A*AA.

Yeah, they do as of right now. Guess when the admissions stats you are quoting were taken? And the reputation for being hard to get into won't just scare off people with sub-stellar academics, it will scare off people who don't have amazing work experience etc etc. I'm not really sure why I have to argue that oxbridge attract strong candidates tbh.

I had a profle good enough to apply for Oxbridge. Applied to Oxford, got interviewed didn't get an offer. I wouldn't say it was a wasted slot at all. If I wasn't good enough for consideration I wouldn't have got past the BMAT/pre-interview screening and Oxford unlike Cambridge interview very few applicants for Medicine.

Cool story bro but "will tend to attract less academically strong candidates" is not the same as "will only attract less academically strong candidates". How many people with or expecting to get ABB would apply for Oxford within the last 20 years? How many would apply for PMS when they were giving ABB offers?

But as we have said time and again academics alone are not sufficient to see you through Medicine.

Sure. But that doesn't mean Oxford is less competitive to get into just because it has slightly fewer applicants per place than Peninsula, which is what you were arguing. The quality of applicants matters when you're talking about competitiveness, and it will be higher for Oxbridge. I'm not ripping on Peninsula, sure you're getting a great education, so chillax; just pointing out what you were saying was misleading.
Reply 30
Yeah, they do as of right now. Guess when the admissions stats you are quoting were taken? And the reputation for being hard to get into won't just scare off people with sub-stellar academics, it will scare off people who don't have amazing work experience etc etc. I'm not really sure why I have to argue that oxbridge attract strong candidates tbh.

Oxbridge have a mega reputation especially cambridge for quite frankly not giving a **** about work experience .... someone i know got into cmabridge last yr for medicine without a single piece of work experience, name another med school that would let you in without any work experience. PMS wouldnt!!!

Cool story bro but "will tend to attract less academically strong candidates" is not the same as "will only attract less academically strong candidates". How many people with or expecting to get ABB would apply for Oxford within the last 20 years? How many would apply for PMS when they were giving ABB offers?

Lets face it, PMS wouldnt have stood a chance if it came out and started to ask for AAA straight off, also every other med school bk then asked for ABB including imperial etc etc.
Peninsula have built up a reputation pretty quickly, especially when it comes to clinical skills ... that cant be said for oxford.

Tbh oxbridge for medicine these days is declining so much, they use to be the best and use to be the hardest to get into ... they arent any more and people are realising that it doesnt make a slightest difference going to oxbridge and that many other med schools offer more updated and intuitive courses that ultimately produce great doctors.

Sure. But that doesn't mean Oxford is less competitive to get into just because it has slightly fewer applicants per place than Peninsula, which is what you were arguing. The quality of applicants matters when you're talking about competitiveness, and it will be higher for Oxbridge. I'm not ripping on Peninsula, sure you're getting a great education, so chillax; just pointing out what you were saying was misleading.

Are you at med school, applying to med school?

People outside of medicine would think oxford is the best, but people inside the medical circle know that oxbridge isnt the best.

And how can you say the quality will be better applying to oxbridge when so many who get in there dont get offers from other med schools.

BOLD ^^
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think "someone i know got in with no work experience" is any sort of meaningful evidence that oxbridge attracts less competitive candidates as a whole. oxbridge have an anecdotal tendency to give low offers to people they accept, that's true, but that's for entirely different reasons than for PMS when they gave low offers.

This; "Lets face it, PMS wouldnt have stood a chance if it came out and started to ask for AAA straight off, also every other med school bk then asked for ABB including imperial etc etc." simply isn't true. Google old threads from here and NMM; a fair number of people were applying to PMS because it was giving lower offers than most other places and they thought they had a better chance, rightly or wrongly.

I wouldn't want to go to oxbridge for medicine because I don't like the lack of clinical contact, but I don't think it means less strong candidates in general will apply there. the reputation for being hard to get into, apart from anything else, will scare off weaker candidates. sure, a small number of clued up people who are stronger candidates might avoid it for that reason. but that is swamped by the number of strong candidates who apply simply because it's oxbridge.

this; "so many who get in there dont get offers from other med schools." just seems like something you've pulled out of where the sun doesn't shine frankly and I'd have to see some evidence before commenting.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
[QUOTE="thisismycatch22;30554290"]I don't think "someone i know got in with no work experience" is any sort of meaningful evidence that oxbridge attracts less competitive candidates as a whole. oxbridge have an anecdotal tendency to give low offers to people they accept, that's true, but that's for entirely different reasons than for PMS when they gave low offers.

I never said they attract less competitive candidates, i said that all med school have equally competitive candidates.
What reason would that be then?

This; "Lets face it, PMS wouldnt have stood a chance if it came out and started to ask for AAA straight off, also every other med school bk then asked for ABB including imperial etc etc." simply isn't true. Google old threads from here and NMM; a fair number of people were applying to PMS because it was giving lower offers than most other places and they thought they had a better chance, rightly or wrongly.

Yea and people would apply to other med schools as well like cardiff etc because they thought they would have a good chance of getting into there as well etc etc

I wouldn't want to go to oxbridge for medicine because I don't like the lack of clinical contact, but I don't think it means less strong candidates in general will apply there. the reputation for being hard to get into, apart from anything else, will scare off weaker candidates. sure, a small number of clued up people who are stronger candidates might avoid it for that reason. but that is swamped by the number of strong candidates who apply simply because it's oxbridge.

My whole point is that oxford dont have better candidates. I am trying to make the point that all candidates are equal, and what may be a good candidate for one med school wont be for another.

this; "so many who get in there dont get offers from other med schools." just seems like something you've pulled out of where the sun doesn't shine frankly and I'd have to see some evidence before commenting.

Here you go VaVe Sig on here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30457247&highlight=

This is the one person i could remember the name of, i have been on TSR for a year now and i have come across so many people who get into cambridge and not into other med schools. Do you really think that those who apply to oxbridge get all offers for medicine when the on average 60-70% of people apply to medicine get rejected!! There are med schools out there which have much higher entry requirements in certain areas than oxbridge ... Bham wanting 7A*s now changing the cutoff to 9A*s, Sheffield ukcat cutoff of 715, Peninsula who weigh the interview as 100% of the offer once youve passed the academics selection. The list can go on.[

I use to think the same thing as you, but you soon realise the real medical world when you actually apply!!/B]

BOLD ^^
(edited 13 years ago)
"I never said they attract less competitive candidates, i said that all med school have equally competitive candidates."
yeah that's why you went on about people who get into oxbridge and then get rejected from everywhere else.

"I am trying to make the point that all candidates are equal, and what may be a good candidate for one med school wont be for another."
that's simply not true. not all candidates are equal, and if one school asks for work experience + interview skills + 3 As and another asks for all of the above but ABB then guess which is going to attract academically weaker candidates?

"Here you go VaVe Sig on here:"
...one person who got into oxbridge, had 2 rejections and then WITHDREW from notts? not the evidence i was looking for champ.

"There are med schools out there which have much higher entry requirements in certain areas than oxbridge ... Bham wanting 7A*s now changing the cutoff to 9A*s"
you do realise this proves my point, right? i wasn't just talking about oxbridge, i was making a general point about the nature of competition stats. applications for birmingham will now look "less competitive" because fewer people apply. that doesn't mean it's easier to get into! it means it's harder because there are fewer but STRONGER applicants! not a hard concept. the only reason i can think of that you guys are arguing with this massively obvious principle is because you both go to/got into peninsula and object to my initial example.

"I use to think the same thing as you, but you soon realise the real medical world when you actually apply!!"
I have applied, and got an offer!!
Reply 34
"I never said they attract less competitive candidates, i said that all med school have equally competitive candidates."
yeah that's why you went on about people who get into oxbridge and then get rejected from everywhere else.

NO, i said i demostrating that not everyone who gets into oxbridge will get offers everywhere, they are exactly the same as any other med school!!

"I am trying to make the point that all candidates are equal, and what may be a good candidate for one med school wont be for another."
that's simply not true. not all candidates are equal, and if one school asks for work experience + interview skills + 3 As and another asks for all of the above but ABB then guess which is going to attract academically weaker candidates?

No where asks for ABB, and realistically it doesnt work like that, those that still ask for AAB have other areas which you have to do really well in, like sheffield and the UKCAT.

"Here you go VaVe Sig on here:"
...one person who got into oxbridge, had 2 rejections and then WITHDREW from notts? not the evidence i was looking for champ.

Amazingly i cant remeber every single name down that i ever saw. It was an example that i came across recently.

"There are med schools out there which have much higher entry requirements in certain areas than oxbridge ... Bham wanting 7A*s now changing the cutoff to 9A*s"
you do realise this proves my point, right? i wasn't just talking about oxbridge, i was making a general point about the nature of competition stats. applications for birmingham will now look "less competitive" because fewer people apply. that doesn't mean it's easier to get into! it means it's harder because there are fewer but STRONGER applicants! not a hard concept. the only reason i can think of that you guys are arguing with this massively obvious principle is because you both go to/got into peninsula and object to my initial example.

No not at all, because you were going on about how oxbridge attracts stronger applicants. All other medical schoold attract applicants that are strong in the area that those med schools look highly upon. Bham -GCSEs, Sheffield, Manc, Barts, Newcastle - UKCAT, BSMS, Peninsula, Manc, Sheffield, Newcastle, Glasgow, St georges - Interview, UCL - BMAT (essay section), Cambridge - BMAT, Southamptin - Those who arent good at interviews.

But again you think they are stronger than other applicants, they ARE NOT!!! They just have great GCSEs, but may have **** everything else ... doesnt make them stronger, makes them suited for applying to Bham.

Im trying to stamp out the naivity that so many people have!

"I use to think the same thing as you, but you soon realise the real medical world when you actually apply!!"
I have applied, and got an offer!!

Where have you got into then? Im sure your one of those stronger applicants! Did you get all offers?

BOLD
I think you just need to re-read what I wrote and think about it a little, to be honest it seems like you're arguing over nothing. If you want to talk about naivite, to me it seems naive to assume that someone with 10A* is going to have worse BMAT interview skills UKCAT etc etc on average than someone with 6Bs and a U.

"Where have you got into then? Im sure your one of those stronger applicants! Did you get all offers?"
Newcastle GEP. Still waiting on other offers but I got interviews on my other applications, except possibly Warwick. Why? I don't think I'm a particularly amazing applicant, and I didn't apply for Oxbridge, like I said. Just trying to point out the obvious fact that just because one school has 4 applicants per place and another has 5, doesn't mean the second one is always less competitive like the other guy was implying!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
I think you just need to re-read what I wrote and think about it a little, to be honest it seems like you're arguing over nothing. If you want to talk about naivite, to me it seems naive to assume that someone with 10A* is going to have worse BMAT interview skills UKCAT etc etc on average than someone with 6Bs and a U.

"Where have you got into then? Im sure your one of those stronger applicants! Did you get all offers?"
Newcastle GEP. Still waiting on other offers but I got interviews on my other applications, except possibly Warwick. Why? I don't think I'm a particularly amazing applicant, and I didn't apply for Oxbridge, like I said. Just trying to point out the obvious fact that just because one school has 4 applicants per place and another has 5, doesn't mean the second one is always less competitive like the other guy was implying!

I think you need to re-read what ive said, your really not getting the point at all.

Actually i think its naive of you to think that because someone did well in their GCSEs they will do well in everything else. The 2 people i know who got 10A*s both got AAB at alevel and one of them got 580 in the UKCAT, both got into med school and both are very clever, but just because they did well at GCSEs doesnt mean they are going to do amazing in everything ... because they didnt. My GCSEs were crap and i did well in both the UKCAT and alevels, better than a lot of people with way better GCSEs than me.
Also intellectual capability doesnt even in the slightest reflect interview skills. Having 10A*S at GCSE wont make you better at interviews.

Congrats on the offer!!
I dont disagree with you on that point, i agree that number of applicants dont reflect how competitive it is, i just disagreed when you said that oxford have stonger applicants and then insinuated that peninsula is easier to get into when its not!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
checking out the applicant profiles on this site is pretty instructive, albeit a small sample. just going to put this out there in terms of general competitiveness and then leave it. note that "less competitive than oxbridge" does not mean bad and probably includes most universities in the uk. excluded people who withdrew before receiving decisions.

people holding oxford offers: average of 3 offers. 44% had 4 offers.
people holding cambridge offers: average of 2.6 offers. 25% had 4 offers.
people holding peninsula offers: average of 2 offers. 0 had 4 offers.
Reply 38
Small sample so pretty crap statistics. Also in all fairness a lot of people who come on TSR apply to Oxbridge because of their egos, less come on here for other med schools.
You can just look through the Oxbridge section and nearly everyone has a sig. Go on peninsula and ask who has four offers and u will come across a few, I know a couple of people who did.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ryan118244
BOLD ^^

I don't really think it's fair to say Oxbridge produce worse doctors than other courses. I can't imagine you have any evidence for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending