The Student Room Group

I have trouble in choosing my A-Levels... please help :(

Hey guyss...ermm I'm currently in year 11 and I obviously need to start submitting what I want to do next year..
Ive wanted to study medicine for a long time and I know people would think that its not too hard to choose just 3 sciences and maths and get it over with BUT... Im hearing loads of things from different people...
e.g Universities love people who can show all roundedness and so you should do sciences and a humanities subject and others are saying if you do that it shows your still not sure and to get a place they want you to be 'sure'...
I'll be finishing my A-level Maths in the summer...I want to do three sciences because I love science and I want to do further maths because everyone says for me its an easy alevel..which is fine I kinda want to do it..but then I also want to do R.S (philosophy and ethics)... but im advised not to take 5... im stressing because I keep changing what I want to do :s-smilie: would be great if I had some help on this... thankss
Reply 1
To study medicine: biology and chemistry is a MUST for nearly every University.
The majority of people I know then chose maths, because they felt maths was beneficial, and a fourth/fifth AS that they would enjoy.
So long as you have one/two strong traditional subjects alongside bio and chem I see no problems. :smile:

(I'm not an expert in medicine.. I have vague ideas about most of it, if you ever decide to go into economics, I'll happily share my research with you. :biggrin:)
Reply 2
Taking five is time-consuming but not impossible, I know a few people taking three sciences, maths and English Lit and they've survived so far.
Reply 3
5 would be very difficut but not impossible. I do RS and if you are wanting to go into medicine it would be very beneficial as you look at the morality of things like abortion, euthanasia, IVF and genetic engineering. I've heard that you only need 2 sciences to get onto a med course? I'm not sure though. xx
I would say that the University would want you to show a dedication to the certain subject you want to study there! Having three, four or even five subjects that somewhat link and make sense is better than having random ones. If you want to study medicine Biology and Maths are a must... also if you find that you change your mind in what you want to do you can always switch around at college. Why don't you phone the college and ask them directly if you're still unsure? I'm sure they'd be able to help you :smile:. x
Reply 5
Original post by rasabet
Hey guyss...ermm I'm currently in year 11 and I obviously need to start submitting what I want to do next year..
Ive wanted to study medicine for a long time and I know people would think that its not too hard to choose just 3 sciences and maths and get it over with BUT... Im hearing loads of things from different people...
e.g Universities love people who can show all roundedness and so you should do sciences and a humanities subject and others are saying if you do that it shows your still not sure and to get a place they want you to be 'sure'...
I'll be finishing my A-level Maths in the summer...I want to do three sciences because I love science and I want to do further maths because everyone says for me its an easy alevel..which is fine I kinda want to do it..but then I also want to do R.S (philosophy and ethics)... but im advised not to take 5... im stressing because I keep changing what I want to do :s-smilie: would be great if I had some help on this... thankss

Some med schools specify that they won't see Further Maths as a separate subject (i.e. Maths + Further Maths counts as one subject). As a fourth subject it is fine though.

So long as you take Chemistry and Biology and one other subject you are fine for the vast majority of medical schools.
Reply 6
Original post by llys
Some med schools specify that they won't see Further Maths as a separate subject (i.e. Maths + Further Maths counts as one subject). As a fourth subject it is fine though.

So long as you take Chemistry and Biology and one other subject you are fine for the vast majority of medical schools.

Yeh I've been told that the further maths A2 isnt counted by universities but the AS is..but still it shows 'intelligence'? and especially if a female does it (not to sound positively discriminative) I dunnooo... :/
Original post by rasabet
Yeh I've been told that the further maths A2 isnt counted by universities but the AS is..but still it shows 'intelligence'? and especially if a female does it (not to sound positively discriminative) I dunnooo... :/

:teehee:
Reply 8
Original post by rasabet
Yeh I've been told that the further maths A2 isnt counted by universities but the AS is..but still it shows 'intelligence'?

Well if you like maths I would definitely do as much maths as you can. Not for med school, just for yourself. :yep: Just also take one other subject.
So I would take
Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry & one other.
Reply 9
Original post by llys
Well if you like maths I would definitely do as much maths as you can. Not for med school, just for yourself. :yep: Just also take one other subject.
So I would take
Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry & one other.

Yeh I know for sure I want to take Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.. (because I like maths and physics, and also my dad is like this mathsy physicsy person so theyre not exactly controversial subjects) but its more that I dont know whether I should do 5 (the fifth being R.S) or just do 4 and do the extended project... :/
Reply 10
Well they (RS and EPQ) are both good options. RS will probably a bit less time-consuming (at AS, let's say). If you can cope with five, why not do five? You can always drop after AS.

Or you could start with Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, drop e.g. Further Maths after AS and pick up RS AS in year 13.
Reply 11
Original post by llys
Well they (RS and EPQ) are both good options. RS will probably a bit less time-consuming (at AS, let's say). If you can cope with five, why not do five? You can always drop after AS.

Or you could start with Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, drop e.g. Further Maths after AS and pick up RS AS in year 13.

really? Isnt R.S an essay based subject though? well I'm coping fairly alright with 12 GCSE's and an A-level... so, I guess 5 wouldnt be too bad..but then again should try giving myself a break by doing just 4.. ?

I was thinking..if I did Chem, Bio, Chem, FM and R.S, I know for sure I wont want to carry R.S on to year 13 because I just don't like the A2 course.. and since FM isnt recognised past AS theres not point doing FM A2..so I should do 5 AS's and then drop 2?
Reply 12
Yes, why not? With a core of Bio, Chem, Physics, any of your options are good, really.

RS is essay-based, so yes, it is work (any subject is), but I think that EPQ is more work if you do it properly, because you have to do research for it (can be more or less depending on topic) and write a long essay. (And if you don't do it properly, it's not really worth doing it IMO.) On the other hand, unlike RS you could do EPQ over the summer, so it would distract less / be less work during term time than RS, and it would mean you have fewer exams than if you take RS.

Bear in mind you'll also need time to do work experience / volunteering if you are serious about medicine.
Reply 13
Original post by llys
Yes, why not? With a core of Bio, Chem, Physics, any of your options are good, really.

RS is essay-based, so yes, it is work (any subject is), but I think that EPQ is more work if you do it properly, because you have to do research for it (can be more or less depending on topic) and write a long essay. (And if you don't do it properly, it's not really worth doing it IMO.) On the other hand, unlike RS you could do EPQ over the summer, so it would distract less / be less work during term time than RS, and it would mean you have fewer exams than if you take RS.

Bear in mind you'll also need time to do work experience / volunteering if you are serious about medicine.

I'll think about it some more... maybe im just better off sticking with the 3 sciences and further maths and then dropping further maths and doing an EP on something to do with R.S/ethics..What is IMO? and also to do with your point on work experience...I have to do mine offcially from my school starting the week of 4th July.. but where would be good places to search for it? I've heard that you can get accepted into hospitals to do it (have no idea what the process is :s-smilie:)...but if im unsuccessful would volunteering at a nursing home or something be AS beneficial.. im pretty keen on medicine..
Reply 14
Original post by rasabet
I'll think about it some more... maybe im just better off sticking with the 3 sciences and further maths and then dropping further maths and doing an EP on something to do with R.S/ethics..What is IMO? and also to do with your point on work experience...I have to do mine offcially from my school starting the week of 4th July.. but where would be good places to search for it? I've heard that you can get accepted into hospitals to do it (have no idea what the process is :s-smilie:)...but if im unsuccessful would volunteering at a nursing home or something be AS beneficial.. im pretty keen on medicine..

IMO = in my opinion :wink:

You should definitely check out the Medicine subforum - they have a lot to say about work experience. You could also get some fresh opinions about 'A-Level choices for Medicine' there.
Reply 15
Original post by llys
IMO = in my opinion :wink:.

Haha... I'm 'figuratively blonde' its ok.. :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by rasabet

You sound bright enough, I would take the 5 at AS (FM, bio, chem, phys and RS) and then if you want to drop 2 at A2 then that would be fine, aslong as you keep bio and chem. 5 AS levels isn't impossible by any means, and if you find you are struggling in the first term then you can drop it whenever. I would definitely do the 5 though :smile:

In regards to work experience, my boyfriend volunteered at a residential home (he got places in 3 of his 4 choices, he's in his 2nd year of med now :smile: he did maths, chem, bio and physics all to A2 level). You can also volunteer in hospitals, just get in contact with your local hospital or look on their website and you should be pointed in the right direction :smile: I volunteer at my local hospital, I really enjoy it, you certainly get to learn a lot about how the place is run, which would be a great thing to chat about in the interviews!

There are millions of threads on here about WE though so it would be good to have a look what successful applicants have done.

Quick Reply

Latest