The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
Indeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHW-ldSeqY

"Long live the Shah"? :mmm:

http://www.democrats.com/iran-war-lies

BTW The Shah were extremely corrupt...very very corrupt, but puppets of the west

in the end, the Irani people held together, and removed the family of dictators...
Reply 61
Let's remember how these protests sparked. It was due to a Tunisian man who had the secret police breathing down his neck.

The most prominent factor in the Egyptian and Tunisian protests were to remove the secret police.

What is Iran doing?
Original post by Hamesh
Let's remember how these protests sparked. It was due to a Tunisian man who had the secret police breathing down his neck.

The most prominent factor in the Egyptian and Tunisian protests were to remove the secret police.

What is Iran doing?

Let me take you back.

Remember when Iran threatened if Israel continued to violate the basic human rights of the palestiniens it would intervene? That's why israeli surporters spread lies and propaganda against Iran, and blow things out of proportion. The USA are guilty of trying to 'spark' protests in Iran. Hasn't worked. The priminister is ELECTED!
Reply 63
Original post by sixthformer
Let me take you back.

Remember when Iran threatened if Israel continued to violate the basic human rights of the palestiniens it would intervene? That's why israeli surporters spread lies and propaganda against Iran, and blow things out of proportion. The USA are guilty of trying to 'spark' protests in Iran. Hasn't worked. The priminister is ELECTED!

Ok.

But Iran has got a secret police, haven't they?
you actually believe America's propaganda regarding Irans elections?

America support Bahrain and saudi, do are not EVEN ELECTED

they had TWO elections, and he won BOTH times

after shooting protesters in the streets...
Original post by sollythewise
after shooting protesters in the streets...

Whether that is blown out of proportion, or true, i don't know, if it is, then yeah, it isn't right, but i am sure they used other means to deal with people who won't accept a democratically elected government

By insulting Iran's leader, you are insulting the people...he represents them. He is down to earth and Honest. Google what his house is like...very very basic, and he supports the poor too
Reply 66
The Iran opposition isn't that strong, the only strength they have is that they are CIA backed.
Reply 67
Whether that is blown out of proportion, or true, i don't know, if it is, then yeah, it isn't right, but i am sure they used other means to deal with people who won't accept a democratically elected government

By insulting Iran's leader, you are insulting the people...he represents them. He is down to earth and Honest. Google what his house is like...very very basic, and he supports the poor too

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-15/world/iran.elections.qa_1_amir-taheri-votes-cast-presidential-elections?_s=PM:WORLD

It comes down to no one knows if the election was rigged or not. Odds are the results were inflated at the very least.
Indeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHW-ldSeqY

"Long live the Shah"? :mmm:

What is she saying after 00:16? I'm finding it hard to follow her Farsi.
Reply 69
Iran is much more powerful then these other countries. Also their position in the middle East is very advantageous. They are in a great position to completely ruin our progress in Afghanistan. They have allies in the form of Syria, Iraq, Hezbollah and Hamas (And the latter two which they can and do use to fight a proxy war against Israel)

They have been increasing their ties to anti-Western elements in Yemen, and they also support the Shiite Bahraini protesters. A pro-Iran Shiite Bahrain would pose a lot of problems for the US and Saudi Arabia (Saudi Arabia's main oil producing regions also have a Shiite majority)

They have a string of allies and potential allies across the Middle East with which they can cause a lot of trouble to the West and Western allies in the Middle East.
I'm sure if there was an uprising which met the same level of resistance as the one in Libya then there possibly would be UN/NATO intervention. But as of now, the Iranian people have kept it peaceful even though under attack. Also I think Iran has more control over its people and can deploy a much large force to intervene in rebellions.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JonathanNorth
I'm sure if there was an uprising which met the same level of resistance as the one in Libya then there possibly would be UN/NATO intervention. But as of now, the Iranian people have kept it peaceful even though under attack. Also I think Iran has more control over its people and can deploy a much large force to intervene in rebellions.

True, unlike libiya, bahrain, and egypt, the people of Iran regularly get to elect their prime minister.

in contrast, the US middle eastern allies are puppet dictators, who have ruled for 40 years average, and murder and kidnap opposition
Reply 72
True, unlike libiya, bahrain, and egypt, the people of Iran regularly get to elect their prime minister.

in contrast, the US middle eastern allies are puppet dictators, who have ruled for 40 years average, and murder and kidnap opposition

Really? You honestly think Iran has free and fair elections?

Rigging elections and not giving people the ability to vote in elections might as well be the same thing.
Reply 73
Iran's elections are probably not free and fair, but that doesn't make it any more of a dictatorship than the US under George W Bush.
Original post by garethDT
Iran's elections are probably not free and fair, but that doesn't make it any more of a dictatorship than the US under George W Bush.

...Are not free any fair?

Everyone gets a vote, within a certain age.

People of ALL religious backgrounds....

The current government won elections so have the mandate to govern

apart from propaganda media...do you hold any proof?
Reply 75

Chill out and read what I said. I was comparing them to the Bush v Gore election which was slightly rigged.

I don't have a clue how free and fair Iran's elections were. I would guess that they were less free and fair than in Britain but probably a lot more free and fair than in some other countries.
Reply 76

Do you have any proof that Kim Jong Ill didn't get 99.98% of the votes in the last North Korean election? Or do you believe NK holds free and fair elections as well?

I think the fact that the Iranian regime had to resort to killing peaceful protesters who came onto the streets in their hundreds of thousands if not millions and arresting opposition party members after the last election is proof enough that Iran does not hold free or fair elections.
Original post by silent ninja
Well, if you're Iranian you should be VERY worried. Any power struggle there and good old Uncle Sam will try to fill that vacuum. They've been gunning for Iran for upteen years.

Police state vs letting the devil in your country. Nobody wins. I hope the Iranians can peacefully reform, without the USA interfering (it's in their nature, they won't refrain). They paint the country as evil but actions speak louder than words: the actions of America over the last couple of decades alone have been far more evil than anything the Iranians have done in the last century (numerous regime change attempts in South America, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan to name a few).

I'd rather have the Americans in Iran than Ahmedinajad, in all honesty. The USA might be nutters, but at least they're predictable nutters.
The Iranians are too busy working or studying?

The potential Iranian reactionaries are abroad (in the US/UK) getting their Phds?
(edited 13 years ago)
I am an Iranian?

Respect! Iranians are awesome.

Latest

Trending

Trending