The Student Room Group

How much would you spend on a 1st date?

I was getting a take away pizza from a restaurant this evening (four seasons if you must know) and this question occured to me. I know lots of girls are going to say £0! You should never go dutch on a first date, right? Incidentally isn't 'go dutch' one of those phrases that sounds much more interesting than it actually is?

So guys, do you go somewhere expensive - make a good impression. I'm talking about a restaurant where it may be £15+ for a main course. Maybe £60 bill between you. Of course that may well impress her, but won't she then be expecting that all the time? If you then suggest somewhere more affordable (£10 main course) she might wonder if you weren't just being 'flash' the first time. I reckon somewhere fairly modest may be best at first.

Scroll to see replies

I´m Dutch. That is all.
Reply 2
Original post by Dutchmeister
I´m Dutch. That is all.

edit: Removed (caused too much offense). Nobody got it was a joke :rolleyes: But then again it is the internet...
(edited 13 years ago)
Or maybe a first date shouldn't necessarily be a meal?

A meal always seems rather overly formal to me. I'd much rather just go out to a nice pub for a few drinks :smile:
Original post by F.I
I'm female. That is all.

No way! What´s next, a Dutch female? :eek:
Reply 5
I'd feel awkward if someone took me somewhere expensive on a first date and wouldn't let me pay half of it..
Reply 6
Original post by Ronda
I'd feel awkward if someone took me somewhere expensive on a first date and wouldn't let me pay half of it..

What if they allowed you to pay the whole bill :tongue:
Reply 7
don't take 'em anywhere expensive the first time, what if she turns out to be a bitch.

you just want somewhere where you can chat
Reply 8

I don't know whether to say :afraid: or :sexface:
Reply 9
Original post by Foo.mp3
You flash the paper on the 1st date and you set a dangerous precedent..

Quite right.
Reply 10
Original post by Mick Travis
What if they allowed you to pay the whole bill :tongue:

Make them go somewhere less expensive! haha :tongue: I just let my company impress them :wink:
Just some regular chill out business. Just maybe a drink and a piece of cake a coffee shop maybe? If you feel like something alcoholic maybe you could go to a quiet bar for a few drinks (a chillout bar would be a good idea, or even a jazz bar if you wanna get your Miles Davis on). None of that go out for a meal garbage. That's some 1930s black and white movie 'treat her with some flowers, chocolates and sweet talk' ****. Gotta keep it real down to earth and honest. Don't be taking advice from no brachiosaurus back in my day type dudes. Don't be flashing your paper of you can't keep on flashing your paper.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12

I'm a Dutch female, that is all. :colonhash:
Reply 13
Original post by aeterno
I'm a Dutch female, that is all. :colonhash:

:rofl: :yy:
£8 on a couple of Roofies
Original post by jblackmoustache
Just some regular chill out business. Just maybe a drink and a piece of cake a coffee shop maybe? If you feel like something alcoholic maybe you could go to a quiet bar for a few drinks (a chillout bar would be a good idea, or even a jazz bar if you wanna get your Miles Davis on). None of that go out for a meal garbage. That's some 1930s black and white movie 'treat her with some flowers, chocolates and sweet talk' ****. Gotta keep it real down to earth and honest. Don't be taking advice from no brachiosaurus back in my day type dudes. Don't be flashing your paper of you can't keep on flashing your paper.

Rep for the miles davis reference :ahee:
i also agree with you - i think? - apart from the brachiosaurus. It's an awesome word but slightly irrelevant aha :biggrin:
My first date with my boyfriend was drinks in a beer garden on a sunny saturday afternoon, then a few more drinks and a bit of nightlife and dancing.....best date i ever had! :biggrin:

But i agree, a meal is awkward...attempting not to talk with your mouth full is a nightmare! In all fairness though, you should enjoy the company your with, rather than the price of the meal!
Reply 17
it makes me feel really awkward if guys take me somewhere expensive and don't let me pay half really soon on in the relationship!
a meal seems pretty formal for a first day
few cocktails is easier :smile:
Depends on whether I actually think I'll go the hole 9 yards as they say, if it is with hopes of getting a good relationship started £200 (incls. flowers or whatever), if it is just for sexy time £100... I have more money than sense :tongue: for one date I flew a girlfriend to Paris for the weekend... 500€ + 300€ for two nights of meals and days of activities making 800€ :eek: still I saved money on a hotel as she stayed around my (dads but he was away) apartment :sexface:
Reply 19
Original post by hanaalou
it makes me feel really awkward if guys take me somewhere expensive and don't let me pay half really soon on in the relationship!
a meal seems pretty formal for a first day
few cocktails is easier :smile:

Yeah well I'm not really up on all this dating stuff. I''ve never spent any money on a first date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending