The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by georgia246
Damn, I wish.. tempted to put it down then pretend I just got dumped there..
But yeah unfortunately my parents are like "catered will be a waste of money!" and as they've already put two kids through uni/masters I don't even know if they could afford it anway lol! Oh well.. will probably be more prepared for student housing this way :colondollar:

They do rate JB anyway so it's all good on that front.. I'll just have to make time for some equations too! I just wish you could at least put a second choice.
Oh well.

Haha same, i got two brothers going uni at the same time next year, and i'd probably have to pay for it anyway
It is, my dad wants me to get a catered on campus cos he believes i can't cook :colonhash:, and he doesn't have to pay. Think i'd meet people a lot more similar in self catered en-suites rather than catered, not my class. Haha yer, guess it's us growing up and making the best of whatever we get. It's the people that counts the most.

I rate JB now, the desk is a massive pull and the whole new thing. Guess i'm just gonna have to chill in the SU :biggrin: (assuming i get in). I read somewhere you get 3 choices :frown:, have you applied? and what course are you doing?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by dmz
Haha same, i got two brothers going uni at the same time next year, and i'd probably have to pay for it anyway
It is, my dad wants me to get a catered on campus cos he believes i can't cook :colonhash:, and he doesn't have to pay. Think i'd meet people a lot more similar in self catered en-suites rather than catered, not my class. Haha yer, guess it's us growing up and making the best of whatever we get. It's the people that counts the most.

I rate JB now, the desk is a massive pull and the whole new thing. Guess i'm just gonna have to chill in the SU :biggrin: (assuming i get in). I read somewhere you get 3 choices :frown:, have you applied? and what course are you doing?

Haha, I can't cook at all, if i ever make myself food it's always ready meals :/
yeah you're right, anywhere could be good/bad providing you have the people to make it so! Well I hope I'm wrong and you do - so much better! I know they do that at Newcastle :/

I haven't applied yet, have you? I'm still waiting to hear back from one of two courses i applied to at Leeds.. I have an offer for Classical lit & English & waiting on English lit & lang.. the former was supposed to be a back up but I'm so in love with Leeds even though the latter would be more ideal I'd take the other course anyway as it won't really have any impact on what i want to do in the future :smile:
yourself?
Reply 742
Haha, I can't cook at all, if i ever make myself food it's always ready meals :/
yeah you're right, anywhere could be good/bad providing you have the people to make it so! Well I hope I'm wrong and you do - so much better! I know they do that at Newcastle :/

I haven't applied yet, have you? I'm still waiting to hear back from one of two courses i applied to at Leeds.. I have an offer for Classical lit & English & waiting on English lit & lang.. the former was supposed to be a back up but I'm so in love with Leeds even though the latter would be more ideal I'd take the other course anyway as it won't really have any impact on what i want to do in the future :smile:
yourself?

I can't cook properly just some basic things and i can follow recipes :tongue:. Haha i just end up going to KFC, dad reckons i'll get £50-60 a week for food. lol

yer, though good people with good location's even better. Are you from Newcastle?

Not yet, still need an offer :tongue:, they rejected me for medicine so i've applied thru extra for medical engineering, probs do Grad Entry Med after, if not, meh. Same here, it's the only open day i went to. think this is my 3rd application there (this makes me sound like a failure, lol)

Why, what do you want to do?
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
Conditional (AAB) how about you? Is Leeds your firm? It's exciting to meet a fellow English lit'er :biggrin:

Same! :biggrin: Think I can get the A's, just the B funnily enough I might struggle with haha. I'll see you there if all goes well! Have you decided on halls? I went for Clarence Dock, looks to be in a nice place :smile:
Original post by hoopyfrood199
Same! :biggrin: Think I can get the A's, just the B funnily enough I might struggle with haha. I'll see you there if all goes well! Have you decided on halls? I went for Clarence Dock, looks to be in a nice place :smile:

I'm sure you'll do well! Just revise and revise as much as you can! I've been toying with the idea of different halls all day...I loved CD initially but it's just the distance that is putting me off atm, and now I'm considering closer accommodation- although I don't like any of them as much as CD :frown:

So you've actually applied for your accommodation? Haha, and yes, I'll most likely see you there in a lecture/ seminar :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Xabi17
Ah fair play, thought you meant you liked everything about it but the area around it - cos Bodington is pretty similar just more of a party feel and on the complete other side of the city, I think.

We should definitely have a TSR meet at the Old Bar at some point though. :biggrin:

Totally! We could all sit in the bar with placards labelled with our TSR usernames & see if anyone would notice and be like "Hey! I know you!" :biggrin: Doubt many would though, I think sitting there with a sign reading "Prose Before Hoes" might confuse some people.
Reply 746
Totally! We could all sit in the bar with placards labelled with our TSR usernames & see if anyone would notice and be like "Hey! I know you!" :biggrin: Doubt many would though, I think sitting there with a sign reading "Prose Before Hoes" might confuse some people.

haha plus i've said too much crap on here, i might be slightly screwed if someone connected me with my tsr identity (i blame gap year)
I'm sure you'll do well! Just revise and revise as much as you can! I've been toying with the idea of different halls all day...I loved CD initially but it's just the distance that is putting me off atm, and now I'm considering closer accommodation- although I don't like any of them as much as CD :frown:

So you've actually applied for your accommodation? Haha, and yes, I'll most likely see you there in a lecture/ seminar :biggrin:

Arrgg I know! basically decided just to go for it without looking too far into in because I knew I'd agonise over it for ages if I looked into it...but I've just read some comments on here and it does seem to be pretty far :/ Thinking about changing it to somewhere closer like the tannery or sentinel or something...but they just don't seem as nice and they seem to be quite popular... :rolleyes:
Original post by accomoffice
-

Hi, i was wondering... Obviously James Baillie Park is heavily oversubscribed and I was thinking when applying maybe writing in the 'other factors' box something about a different accommodation that I'd be happy to go to if i did not get James Baillie Park - and then assigning that as number 1 on the preferences.
Two things; firstly, would there be any point in this? Would it get looked at? And secondly, would doing this hinder my chances at James Baillie Park? By which i mean they will see i'd be happy at somewhere else, so would just stick me there and think of it as one less applicant at James Baillie Park...?

Thanks, just trying to give myself the best chance of being somewhere i want to be when coming to Leeds!
Original post by hoopyfrood199
Arrgg I know! basically decided just to go for it without looking too far into in because I knew I'd agonise over it for ages if I looked into it...but I've just read some comments on here and it does seem to be pretty far :/ Thinking about changing it to somewhere closer like the tannery or sentinel or something...but they just don't seem as nice and they seem to be quite popular... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I like the look of James Baillie Park but it seems to be so oversubscribed :frown: The other places closer to the campus don't seem too great in my opinion and I'm stuck over what to choose. I might just throw caution to the wind and go with my gut and pick CD. I just need to convince myself :redface:
Reply 750
Yeah, I like the look of James Baillie Park but it seems to be so oversubscribed :frown: The other places closer to the campus don't seem too great in my opinion and I'm stuck over what to choose. I might just throw caution to the wind and go with my gut and pick CD. I just need to convince myself :redface:

with CD it's the needing to convince myself if they let you have a back up then it'd be JB then CD
Original post by dmz
I can't cook properly just some basic things and i can follow recipes :tongue:. Haha i just end up going to KFC, dad reckons i'll get £50-60 a week for food. lol

yer, though good people with good location's even better. Are you from Newcastle?

Not yet, still need an offer :tongue:, they rejected me for medicine so i've applied thru extra for medical engineering, probs do Grad Entry Med after, if not, meh. Same here, it's the only open day i went to. think this is my 3rd application there (this makes me sound like a failure, lol)

Why, what do you want to do?

No i just know loads of people going there, and their applications for accommodation seem really in depth..

Ah i see :smile: Medicine is so difficult to get into though anyway, and especially this year so not really failure. I want to do Broadcast Journalism & i know it sounds a bit odd (like why didn't i apply for that) but I like English & generally more successful journalists (found out on w/e) do English.. and it's less vocational if i change my mind :smile:
I'm torn between The Tannery & James Baillie :/

sameeee. i think if you put JB and then write ensuite and close to uni as preferences, the tannery would be a likely backup? that or leodis i reckon?
:smile:
Reply 753
Original post by accomoffice

Hi, i was wondering which preferences where favoured on the point system thing, in order to get oxley.
I really loved it on the open day, and was wondering how i could maximise my chances of getting it?
Also, is oxley one of the oversubsribed halls?

accomoffice... what would the likely backup be for JB if you didnt get it? particuarly if i prioritised... ensuite and close to uni?? thankss
Original post by ohhelloruth
sameeee. i think if you put JB and then write ensuite and close to uni as preferences, the tannery would be a likely backup? that or leodis i reckon?
:smile:

Yeah that's what I'm hoping.. I just don't know whether to risk JB then hope I get Tannery if i fail or try and play safer because i imagine Tannery is less subscribed.. but yeah.. I suppose i wouldn't mind that much if i got Leodis, if you had to write 3 preferences I would have probably put it third anyway.. :smile:
im stuck between them too, i think itd be better to risk JB.. tbh. like if you work out your preferences well then you could probably make it almost certain you'd get tanery or leodis second.. cos most other ones close to uni are self catered or not ensuite. ive heards that whatever halls your in you have a wicked time, so im gonna put my first choice down and not worry to much about where i end up :smile:
um and yeah.. if you put tannery i think your pretty much garunteeed it..
Reply 758
Original post by ohhelloruth
im stuck between them too, i think itd be better to risk JB.. tbh. like if you work out your preferences well then you could probably make it almost certain you'd get tanery or leodis second.. cos most other ones close to uni are self catered or not ensuite. ive heards that whatever halls your in you have a wicked time, so im gonna put my first choice down and not worry to much about where i end up :smile:

seems like a good idea :yep:
Original post by dmz
seems like a good idea :yep:

do you reckon leodis and tannery would be JB's backups??

Latest