The Student Room Group

withdrawing for the 3rd time!

Hi there

I previously withdrew from a course after 6 weeks in 2008/2009 which I got a student loan for it but did not have to pay for the fees.

Last year I withdrew from a course funded by the NHS for personal reasons but I did get a maintenance loan and a grant.

This year I am doing another course funded by the NHS and I also have a maintenance loan and a grant but I have been given a chance to transfer into Paramedics. I have tried to get a place on the course for the last three years.

I will complete the first year of my current course by the way.

So my question is: would the student loan pay for my fees and allow me to get a student maintenance loan? Do the NHS courses count as a previous funding?:confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
You've had 3 years of funding as far as SFE are concerned.
Reply 2
Really? I have used the student finance calculator and the results says that I can take a loan for 2 years out of 3??
Original post by andread
Really? I have used the student finance calculator and the results says that I can take a loan for 2 years out of 3??

entitlement is length of course + 1 year minus years already had.
I do not think you have entered your info properly. You have clearly had 3 lots of uni funding. Part years count as whole years as far as SFE are concerned. Indeed even if you'd had no funding and self funded for your 3 years so far DFE would still apply the course+1-entitlement formula.
Any shortfall is taken at the start so you will need to fund your first year yourself and maybe your second year as well if I'm right.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I thought the NHS was something apart otherwise I wouldn't be able to withdraw from one NHS funded course and start another like I did!

I think I have to pay for year one and they lent me the money for years 2/3

I have asked...lets see!
Original post by andread
I thought the NHS was something apart otherwise I wouldn't be able to withdraw from one NHS funded course and start another like I did!

I think I have to pay for year one and they lent me the money for years 2/3

I have asked...lets see!

Nonsense. using your logic both NHS years would be discounted and you'd get full funding using the formula!
I don't know if it's the same thing down south, but here in Scotland you would still be entitled to a student loan regardless of previous funding. You just won't be entitled to a bursary. Up here you're allowed what they call, a 'false start' where they will disregard one year of study, if you decide to change your mind, and then continue to pay for your next course in full.

Like I say, that's the way they roll up here, I'd advise you to email or phone your local funding authority because they should be able to tell you exactly what you're entitled to.
Reply 7
Then I should not have had this year paid cause I had:

1 a foundation year paid,
2 first year not paid counted against me,
3 NHS funded paid and I withdrew and
4 I am currently studying for another NHS Funded and it's been paid! If I continue, my fees will still be paid... explain that then?
Reply 8
Original post by ErinLeigh
I don't know if it's the same thing down south, but here in Scotland you would still be entitled to a student loan regardless of previous funding. You just won't be entitled to a bursary. Up here you're allowed what they call, a 'false start' where they will disregard one year of study, if you decide to change your mind, and then continue to pay for your next course in full.

Like I say, that's the way they roll up here, I'd advise you to email or phone your local funding authority because they should be able to tell you exactly what you're entitled to.

Hi thanks- I have but they are still to reply and I am extremely anxious about it!
I was in the same boat. I recently just graduated from uni, but I'm starting again this september in an unrelated field.

I was told that I have to pay my own fees (we get ours paid for us up here) and that I wasn't entitled to a bursary, but I could still apply for the income-assessed loan. I really don't know if it's the same as the system currently operating in England.

If you emailed a good while ago, I'd probably be inclined to give them a phone, always better to speak to a human I find!

Good luck though.
Reply 10
Original post by ErinLeigh
I was in the same boat. I recently just graduated from uni, but I'm starting again this september in an unrelated field.

I was told that I have to pay my own fees (we get ours paid for us up here) and that I wasn't entitled to a bursary, but I could still apply for the income-assessed loan. I really don't know if it's the same as the system currently operating in England.

If you emailed a good while ago, I'd probably be inclined to give them a phone, always better to speak to a human I find!

Good luck though.

Thanks alot! I really hope they will lent me the money for the fees for at least the 2 out of 3 years! I always wanted to study for this course but didn't meet the entre requirement. Now that I am completing one year of an undergraduate course, they will give me a chance and I'd rather do it now then finish this one and have to pay 9k after which I don't have!

Good luck with your course too....x
Reply 11
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Afteryourfirstyear/DG_171586

Will you get finance for the whole of your new course?

Student Finance England will reassess your entitlement to both a Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan for the whole of your new course if:

you change courses before the start of the second year
you haven’t changed courses before

If you change course after the start of the second year - or if you’ve changed courses before - you may have to pay your own tuition fees for part of the new course. This depends on how long your new course lasts - and for how many years of previous study that you got student finance.

However, provided you don’t already have a degree, you can get a Maintenance Loan for as long as you’re studying a course of higher education.
Reply 12
Original post by Foo.mp3
one should try to avoid withdrawing too frequently, it can seriously interrupt your enjoyment :wink:

Not enjoying it! :frown: just made the wrong decision since I didn't get my first choices!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending