The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by mathperson
what, so saying that teaching 5 year olds about relationships is wrong, is biased? lol

thats another buzz word on TSR isn't it (apart from racist), because when we say biased what do you mean, well what you mean is that the article indicates that the writer has an opinion - everyone has a right to an opinion, and you wouldn't expect a political party not to have an opinion.
You're just saying it is biased because you are trying to create an atmosphere of rejection aver the article in the name of loony left policies.
The article says that the children are being encouraged to dance around in frocks to the gay stories they are reading. They are being encouraged to essentially abandon what they want to do in favour of what a far left loony wants them to do.

The comment at the end of the article is "The teaching of sexual propaganda to children is akin to child abuse and has no place in a healthy, normal society." What do you think is incorrect/wrong about this statement?

Yes and Hitler also had an opinion.

You have got completely the wrong idea. They are not being forced to do anything they do not want to. The idea is the opposite. They are being encouraged to do what they want to. If they want to dress up in "frock" then to let them, if they don't then they don't have to.

For starters I think that this statement is incorrect as I do not believe this to be "sexual propaganda" if anything is propaganda than it is that article. Secondly I can not see how teaching acceptance has no place in a healthy, normal society. Just the opposite actually.
Reply 241
Original post by imperial maniac
Piss off.

I'm not trolling, neither am I agreeing the BNP.

Btw tbh, after the amount of "omg gfto homophobe" responses I've had after trying to have a sensible debate, It's making me think that they're right, the pro-gay trollers don't seem to have a valid argument.

Stop trolling and don't come back unless you have something logical to say :lol:
You know what...
My parents always made a point of explaining everything to us, and saying it doesn't matter who you turn out to be. They said they'd support us no matter what, they encouraged tollerance and understanding from every angle.
So did my schools.
None of me or my siblings are gay.

Encouraging tollerance and educating children won't make them gay, that's not how it works! It'll just make them better, more tollerant adults in the future.
Reply 243
Is this a good thing?

Acceptance of homosexuality is one thing, but actively teaching it as the norm to children, is that crossing a line?

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/homosexual-propaganda-taught-schoolchildren-young-five

ofc the source isn't exactly, erm...unbiased, but assuming what it says is true, do you see this as a victory for equality or as the BNP puts it "homosexual propaganda."

Edit: Thanks for the neg guys... maybe I should I've pointed out that I'm not agreeing with the BNP in any way here, it's just an interesting point of contention and I wanted to see what people's opinions were on this. I don't think my post in any way suggests that I agree with them on this matter, I'm sitting on the fence, and made the thread so I could make a more informed decision after listening to the arguments for and against.

The PE teacher at my old school encouraged once a week
Original post by LauriC
CANNIBALISM IS NORMAL! Cannibalism happens for different reasons- sometimes it is necessary in times of famine or because it is sanctioned by cultural norm (This is the point I'm getting at- cannibalism is socially acceptable in many socieites, just because it's not in ours, it doesn't give us the right to condemn it as "unnatural" and "wrong". You have absoultely no right to criticise another culture or society when you have no comprehension of what it is even like).

It don't undertand how it can undermine my argument...

Because you are using cannibalism, which any sane person would view as not being normal, as an example to try and prove that homosexuality is normal, which totally undermines your argument.

Cannibalism, IS WRONG, end of. Homosexuality isn't wrong, what I'm trying to work out for myself is whether teaching children about homosexuality at such an early age, is wrong.

I have every right to criticise another culture if it is clearly barbaric and against the basic right of a human being not to be eaten by other human beings.

It's like trying to prove the existence of angels by saying that ghosts also exist -.-
Original post by Smophy
Racism and homophobia have no place in a healthy society. These are hateful and negative views. I accept anyone with opinions different to mine as long as they are not hateful and negative like those of the BNP.

Can you give me a quote from that (very unreliable) article that says they are teaching sex to children as young as five please because I seemed to of missed that part.

Even if that article says so I am more than certain that NO school is teaching 5 year olds about sex. Five year olds are taught about relationships! None of the five year olds i teach are taught about sex and no 5 year olds in the other schools I work in are taught it either and never will be as the teachers and parents would find it absolutely barbaric.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article4998206.ece

0.o
Original post by Smophy
Don't tell me why I said something. I said it because it is relevant to the BNP and the article that this thread is discussing.

No teacher is going to just start talking about homosexual relationships. They would discuss the different relationships and different home lifes just as they would discuss different cultures and they would encourage the acceptance of these differences.

Yes they are, according to the source, that's the whole point of the thread, to discuss whether they should be teaching about homosexual relationships.

Personally if I was a parent and my child came home one day asking about homosexual relationships, I would ring up the school and ask why the hell they're teaching kids about sexuality when they should be teaching them to read,write, do maths, and bake cakes.

It's up the parents to teach the kid what is right and what is wrong, not the schools, schools are there to teach skills, not dictate what my child's views are on homosexuality.
Original post by Smophy
It does matter who wrote the article. The article is written by or for a political party that has openly cited homophobic ideologies. It doesn't matter where they got their information from as it is how they have written the article that is biased. A party that is in favour of homosexual rights could use the same information source and develop a completely different article.

I think you are the one that doesn't get it. It is right for 5+ year olds to be taught about relationships!! Before you get on your high horse I do NOT mean sexual relationships.

The more children that are taught acceptance the less people there will be to write such articles in the future.

Homosexual relationships ARE sexual relationships!

When I was 5 I didn't know where babies came from, and I didn't care.
Homosexual relationships ARE sexual relationships!

When I was 5 I didn't know where babies came from, and I didn't care.

No, but we learned about relationships... which includes same sex ones.
There's a difference, they don't talk about sex at all.
Original post by Stefan1991
Stop trolling and don't come back unless you have something logical to say :lol:

:angry:

In what way is this thread trolling??

I hardly thing that asking people's views on a controversial matter is trolling.
Is this a good thing?

Acceptance of homosexuality is one thing, but actively teaching it as the norm to children, is that crossing a line?

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/homosexual-propaganda-taught-schoolchildren-young-five

ofc the source isn't exactly, erm...unbiased, but assuming what it says is true, do you see this as a victory for equality or as the BNP puts it "homosexual propaganda."

Edit: Thanks for the neg guys... maybe I should I've pointed out that I'm not agreeing with the BNP in any way here, it's just an interesting point of contention and I wanted to see what people's opinions were on this. I don't think my post in any way suggests that I agree with them on this matter, I'm sitting on the fence, and made the thread so I could make a more informed decision after listening to the arguments for and against.

Just why is any worse than heterosexuality? Okay, it's not very biologically productive, but hey, the world is overpopulated anyway.

Now, what exactly is "homosexual propaganda"? Propaganda is when an organisation fabricates information in order to convince people into an agenda, such as the lack of British casualities reported in WW1 (or the lack of civilian casualities currently being reported in Libya...). In the case of WW1, the agenda was not to scare the British public, say. Do homosexuals have an agenda? I think they would like equality, which is fair enough. Any gay kids in school get the **** ripped out of them. Everyone uses 'gay' do describe something negatively (e.g. interchangeable with 'lame'). How do you think that would make someone feel? They aren't going to create any more gay peope by doing this, although more people might come out. Asides from that, i don't think us heterosexuals are going to be too much affected.
Reply 251
:angry:

In what way is this thread trolling??

I hardly thing that asking people's views on a controversial matter is trolling.

Is it really that controversial? Maybe for Christian or Islamic fundamentalists, but I don't see how anyone except those extremist minorities would find it controversial.
Original post by Stefan1991
Is it really that controversial? Maybe for Christian or Islamic fundamentalists, but I don't see how anyone except those extremist minorities would find it controversial.

It's obviously controversial, a mere 60 years ago homophobia was viewed at the norm by the government.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17u01_sWjRE
Original post by alharrison4
This. And to my mind, that is a brilliant thing :smile:

Edit: I just clicked on the link and scrolled down to read the comments. Big mistake. They constitute some of the most unpleasant views I have read in quite a while. For instance, 'Wonder how many paedophiles and perverts are among these teachers I think this is absolutely disgusting' [sic].
Another comment refers to homosexuals and 'their unnatural ways'.
Makes me :angry:

I like gays cause i'm gay my mum is gay and so is my dad so are my brothers Aaron and Brodie and my lil sis Ethan and they encourage me to be gay now i got a girlfriend called Leah and she's gay with Zoe its like a whole big gay fest so get back in your box and send yourself to China thanks for reading :rolleyes:
Original post by Emaemmaemily
People don't choose their sexualities, so teaching that it's normal isn't going to make more people gay! There's nothing wrong with being homosexual, so I don't see where there's be any problems to be honest; teaching that same sex couples are fine is making sure that there's little-no hatred towards them in the furture.

the issue isn't whether people choose their orientation, or wether it is right or wrog to teach acceptance, the issue is the age (that's what this thread, and the article are about) and my personal view is that it takes a weird type of person to think "lets teach 5 years olds about sex", and it is weird because it is intuitively wrong.
Original post by mathperson
the issue isn't whether people choose their orientation, or wether it is right or wrog to teach acceptance, the issue is the age (that's what this thread, and the article are about) and my personal view is that it takes a weird type of person to think "lets teach 5 years olds about sex", and it is weird because it is intuitively wrong.

But no one teaches 5 year olds about sex, I've seen no evidence suggesting that (and actually, some to the contrary).
5 year olds are taught about relationships, very briefly, and that's something completely different.
Because you are using cannibalism, which any sane person would view as not being normal, as an example to try and prove that homosexuality is normal, which totally undermines your argument.

Cannibalism, IS WRONG, end of. Homosexuality isn't wrong, what I'm trying to work out for myself is whether teaching children about homosexuality at such an early age, is wrong.

I have every right to criticise another culture if it is clearly barbaric and against the basic right of a human being not to be eaten by other human beings.

It's like trying to prove the existence of angels by saying that ghosts also exist -.-

A lot of cannibals eat post-mortem and often not for food but for ritualistic purposes, the other human's rights are not being violated as there is no other human by that point.
Original post by Fusilero
A lot of cannibals eat post-mortem and often not for food but for ritualistic purposes, the other human's rights are not being violated as there is no other human by that point.

For the Love of God.

I will NEVER EVER accept eating other people as a sane and normal way to go about things, I don't care if its for a ritual, in fact in many ways that's far worse.

I may be persuaded to see homosexuality as normal, but not if people come out with ridiculous arguments like "homosexuality is like cannibalism".

Seriously guys, WOW, how could you ever consider cannibalism as acceptable, have you all lost your minds????
Original post by We love gays :)

[QUOTE=We love gays [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30556775]I like gays cause i'm gay my mum is gay and so is my dad so are my brothers Aaron and Brodie and my lil sis Ethan and they encourage me to be gay now i got a girlfriend called Leah and she's gay with Zoe its like a whole big gay fest so get back in your box and send yourself to China thanks for reading :rolleyes:

Was there actually a point to that?
For the Love of God.

I will NEVER EVER accept eating other people as a sane and normal way to go about things, I don't care if its for a ritual, in fact in many ways that's far worse.

I may be persuaded to see homosexuality as normal, but not if people come out with ridiculous arguments like "homosexuality is like cannibalism".

Seriously guys, WOW, how could you ever consider cannibalism as acceptable, have you all lost your minds????
Merely being the devil's advocate. And it would be one person who have lost their mind if that's the case, you can't extrapolate the entirety of the opposition from one person (me).

On a serious note, hmm, I've never thought about cannibal rights etc. as an issue. It doesn't come up often in my part of the world so I don't really have a view on it. We eat people all the time, if you ever had someone else cook you a meal you've eaten part of them (skin sheddings etc. inevitable) and if you've ever had a kiss you've consumed a part of them. Epithelial cells etc. On the other hand those are individual cells and an unavoidable action and there's a clear moral dissonance between visible body parts and invisible cells.

Let's not get into coprophilia and the implications on cannibalism there.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending