The Student Room Group

I can't be the only one who finds this really annoying and rude

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I once knew a couple going through a rocky patch and had a tiff on a night out. They sat on opposite sides of a table texting each other, because they weren't on speaking terms :lolwut:

But yes, excessive phone use is weird and makes you look nervous at best, plain rude at worst.
It doesn't happen anymore, but people I used to be friends with did this and it really pissed me off! If it happened now I would say something.
Reply 62
One of my friends got a Blackberry recently and every time we're out with her she's always on BBM, it's really annoying because she completely zones out of the conversation and you have to almost shout at her to get her attention, she also refuses to call or text anyone, it has to be either Facebook or BBM.
Reply 63
I find it immensely rude
Reply 64
It does annoy me when people can't put their phone down for a second. What's the point of going out with friends if you ignore them ?
Reply 65
Original post by Crash and Burn
When you are out with friends and they CONSTANTLY have their mobiles out. Generally I won't be texting other people whilst I am out with friends, sometimes if I am arranging something I will send one or two.

A lot of my 'friends' however will have their phones in their hands for ages, alright so they have a boyfriend or girlfriend big whoop do they constantly need to be texting them? If they get a call they just pick up and one friend in particular will stay on the phone for a while with me just sitting there, she will even make phone calls (and it isn't always about her BF).

I personally think it is quite sad that they can't just be in the moment without constant contact with other people (whether in a relationship or not). I have my phone with me at all times but if I am with someone I will try to be there, yet it seems like mobile phones now interfere with actual social interaction and people just think it is perfectly acceptable (and even expected.. as though not constantly texting means you have no friends)

Thoughts?

Gosh I understand!! One of my friends feels the constant neeeed to text and text or BB or whatever she does! It's like jheeez put your phone down when you're with other people! I would understand emergencies, i.e. hospital etc, but just texting boyfriends and girlfriends is a bit childish. She even went as far as to check my phone once :eek: I didnt know what to say, but was like if i dont want to read my text why do you have to do it??? OBSSESSED!!!

I understand if you're in an awkward situation, and you have to turn to your phone, but if you're with friends and having a laugh, leave your dang phone out of it and have a bit of fun!
Reply 66
LOL just read others responses, wow so many similar stories! BB/Iphone addicts usually and yes they ALWAYS carry their chargers around, if your phone is so high tech WTF does it run out of battery so quickly, take the hint you use it toooo much!
I have a friend who does it and it's really annoying. He was okay when he got his iphone stolen because he was left with a sub-standard phone and he rarely used it. But he's bought himself an iphone again and he constantly plays Angry Birds, checks facebook, texts everyone etc. when we're supposed to be out together or doing uni work.
Agreed. It's so damn annoying.

I don't really check my phone much, the majority of the time it's in my bag and on silent so I only know if I have a message/missed call if I check - which isn't often. But I have friends who have their phones constantly out and its like for gods sake put your damn phone down for 5 minutes. It's just rude.

I was in a bar having a chat with my mate and she pointed out that the 2 girls sitting opposite us were sat on their mobiles (on a night out), I kept having a glance over every now and then, 2 hours later they were still sitting on their phones. I was like "why did they even bother coming out if they're going to spend all their time on their phones". :rolleyes:
Phones having internet with facebook, messenger or whatever else people are raving about these days are the worst inventions ever! It's like god can you not go without FB for a couple of damn hours?! Ugh.

I have a phone, I use the calendar, the alarm, texting (I don't text much) and calling (again, not much, just family back home). I was pretty pissed to find that when I took a picture on one occasion there was an option to send it to Facebook :banghead:
I used to do this all the time! I just felt really depressed at the time and constantly needed to be texting/talking to other people to avoid feeling so alone. I used to text a lot around others to try and show that i wasn't feeling sad or alone (if that makes sense). Ive stopped doing it now and if i get a text ill just reply it when im going home, I now enjoy my friends' company rather than constantly texting. I realised how sad it was.
I find this really annoying too one of my friends who I was friends with did this all the time. But she wouldn't be texting a boyfriend or anything not that it mattered. They wouldn't really be listening to you and just texting an you have to repeat yourself.
I won't answer my phone if I'm out with friends unless it's really important. I always silence it, then send them a text saying I'm busy and what's up. I might then send 1-2 texts but that's all. I'll also very very rarely send a text first unless it's completely necessary.
Reply 73
Yeah, it's massively annoying when you're with someone and they start texting someone else (calling is the biggest diss in my opinion). One of my friends invited me round to stay the night and ended up phoning her sister for 40 minutes whilst I was just sat there like a lemon....and then the very next day proceeded to send her a long-ass facebook message right in front of me :|
There have also been times when I've been out with her and then noticed later on that she's been on facebook/twitter etc whilst we've been out.
Can't help but feel a tad unappreciated.
I always feel really rude texting someone when I'm in the comany of someone else...I usually save it for later unless it's something that needs dealing with.
Sigh. Some people :rolleyes:
Original post by Hakuna.Matata
AND when we are in class the plug socket is on MY SIDE of the desk , she just throws it over and says "can you plug that in for me?" pft:naughty:

i could just throw the talc at her and run away:ninja:

Your name. :gah:

On topic though, these people annoy me. I normally walk off and ignore them.
:eek:
Original post by CB91
Your name. :gah:

On topic though, these people annoy me. I normally walk off and ignore them.

indeed, it is probably the best disney song ever written :bigsmile:
I too think it is really rude and sad at the same time. I have to stop myself from saying, if you dont want to be here and talk to me then piss off!
Original post by Hakuna.Matata
:eek:

indeed, it is probably the best disney song ever written :bigsmile:

I wouldn't disagree with that. I love Timon's accent aswell. :gah:
Original post by CB91
I wouldn't disagree with that. I love Timon's accent aswell. :gah:

It's our motto

What's a motto?

Nothing, whats the motto with you?
:mmm: :facepalm:
my housemate will pause fifa while we are playing to bbm his gf, drives me up the wall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending