The Student Room Group

DSA needs assessment on Monday

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kerily
There are universities that won't give you counselling unless you get DSA for mental health issues? :eek4:

I have quite a lot of stuff going on but I don't have a formal diagnosis of my mental health problems (I've been trying to get one, just failing miserably) so I won't be claiming DSA for it - although I do get DSA for Asperger's anyway. Will I still be able to access university counselling? :s-smilie:

I should bloody well hope so! I know Cambridge is meant to be especially good for pastoral support. Counselling should be provided at every university as a precaution, imo. You shouldn't need a diagnosis or DSA to get it. What happens if you have no diagnosis but have a breakdown when you arrive at university? Seems like Sussex is taking a bit of a gamble with people's health tbh.

Found this for you.
The Service is free and available to all undergraduate students in residence and graduate students on the register, including students of the Theological Colleges.

http://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/studentcouns

No DSA required. :smile:
Original post by kerily
There are universities that won't give you counselling unless you get DSA for mental health issues? :eek4:

I have quite a lot of stuff going on but I don't have a formal diagnosis of my mental health problems (I've been trying to get one, just failing miserably) so I won't be claiming DSA for it - although I do get DSA for Asperger's anyway. Will I still be able to access university counselling? :s-smilie:

This seems to indicate that you should be OK:

http://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/default-page/studentcouns/students

:smile:
Thanks for this thread, I got my letter in November but keep forgetting to book it, will try sort it all out tomorrow.
Reply 23
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
This seems to indicate that you should be OK:

http://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/default-page/studentcouns/students

:smile:

Original post by diamonddust
I should bloody well hope so! I know Cambridge is meant to be especially good for pastoral support. Counselling should be provided at every university as a precaution, imo. You shouldn't need a diagnosis or DSA to get it. What happens if you have no diagnosis but have a breakdown when you arrive at university? Seems like Sussex is taking a bit of a gamble with people's health tbh.

Found this for you.
The Service is free and available to all undergraduate students in residence and graduate students on the register, including students of the Theological Colleges.

http://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/studentcouns

No DSA required. :smile:

Oh fantastic, thankyou to both of you! How very reassuring :smile:

I'm seriously doubting that I'll meet the Cam offer to be honest, but UCL should have stuff - and in any case, it's London, there should be plenty. I do plan to get a depression/bipolar/whatever-the-hell-is-wrong-with-me diagnosis as soon as I can, but that's not working at the moment, so I may have to wait until uni :tongue:
Original post by kerily

I'm seriously doubting that I'll meet the Cam offer to be honest, but UCL should have stuff - and in any case, it's London, there should be plenty. I do plan to get a depression/bipolar/whatever-the-hell-is-wrong-with-me diagnosis as soon as I can, but that's not working at the moment, so I may have to wait until uni :tongue:

Try and stay as positive as possible: negativity and anxiety might make things worse. You can always PM me, if that would help at all :smile:

I've just read Oxford's equivalent website. Cambridge's website seems better :biggrin:
Reply 25
Try and stay as positive as possible: negativity and anxiety might make things worse. You can always PM me, if that would help at all :smile:

I've just read Oxford's equivalent website. Cambridge's website seems better :biggrin:

Oh how lovely you seem :smile: Although given how hard stuff sounds for you at the moment, I really wouldn't want to impose! It's mostly just the joys of STEP that are making me doubt whether I'll manage Cam's offer, which is quite a legitimate fear :tongue: Mental-health-wise, it's a long story which I may PM you with sometime actually, thankyou :smile:

Cambridge is better for most things :wink: Kidding, kidding... They do seem to have a really good pastoral support system, actually - the small size of the colleges and that. And the disability people are lovely, I went to see them on the open day :yes:
Original post by kerily
Oh how lovely you seem :smile: Although given how hard stuff sounds for you at the moment, I really wouldn't want to impose! It's mostly just the joys of STEP that are making me doubt whether I'll manage Cam's offer, which is quite a legitimate fear :tongue: Mental-health-wise, it's a long story which I may PM you with sometime actually, thankyou :smile:

Cambridge is better for most things :wink: Kidding, kidding... They do seem to have a really good pastoral support system, actually - the small size of the colleges and that. And the disability people are lovely, I went to see them on the open day :yes:

Tell you what, let's make a deal. You can PM away if it would help and if it becomes too much or if I'm a bit too crazy, I'll tell you :smile:

Ah, you're a mathsy person. I'm not entirely sure what STEP is, other than it sounds completely hellish :console:

The collegiate system can make for amazingly personal/close pastoral care. I had two welfare tutors spend a whole academic year basically babysitting me :o:
Original post by kerily

:hugs: The diagnosis isn't the most important thing really, just try to keep yourself as well and as safe as you possibly can until you get additional help.
Best of luck with your offer, I'm sure you'll be fine (even though I want to smack people when they say that to me!) and if you don't meet your Cambs offer, UCL is pretty damn phenomenal! :tongue:

Knew I liked Bridge over Ox for a reason! :biggrin:
I like that Cambridge have a special access scheme too! I've always wondered why Oxford don't... :s-smilie:

Does anyone know how long DSA take to reply? I think I sent my application off at least a month ago but I didn't have my student finance customer service number or anything... I'm wondering if they've somehow lost my application or are expecting me to reapply now I've done my student finance... :s-smilie:
Reply 28
Tell you what, let's make a deal. You can PM away if it would help and if it becomes too much or if I'm a bit too crazy, I'll tell you :smile:

Ah, you're a mathsy person. I'm not entirely sure what STEP is, other than it sounds completely hellish :console:

The collegiate system can make for amazingly personal/close pastoral care. I had two welfare tutors spend a whole academic year basically babysitting me :o:

STEP is a monstrosity. They basically decided that a-level maths and further maths aren't hard enough, so they needed to invent their own new exam which nobody has ever heard of, and make you sit it :tongue: I fully appreciate where they're coming from, but it's so hard!

I will definitely do that in the morning. Thankyou very much :smile:

And wow! That's fantastic - definitely not anonymous at all then. Was your college quite a small/famously 'friendly' one?
Reply 29
:hugs: The diagnosis isn't the most important thing really, just try to keep yourself as well and as safe as you possibly can until you get additional help.
Best of luck with your offer, I'm sure you'll be fine (even though I want to smack people when they say that to me!) and if you don't meet your Cambs offer, UCL is pretty damn phenomenal! :tongue:

Oh I know, but I like to be able to slap labels on things. If you can say 'I have x' people have to help you; if you just say 'I feel y and z', people tend to go 'oh'. I'm trying to hang on until I get help :smile: But I've been trying since I was 13, so it's starting to take the mick a bit really. UCL is awesome though - part of me would be happier in London than in Cambridge, so I won't be too upset either way :smile:

Does anyone know how long DSA take to reply? I think I sent my application off at least a month ago but I didn't have my student finance customer service number or anything... I'm wondering if they've somehow lost my application or are expecting me to reapply now I've done my student finance... :s-smilie:

****. We were meant to apply before we did student finance? I sent mine off on Friday :tongue:

Knew I liked Bridge over Ox for a reason! :biggrin:
I like that Cambridge have a special access scheme too! I've always wondered why Oxford don't... :s-smilie:

Oxford did have a student-run one when I was applying: I actually applied via their Access Scheme. I think it got taken over by the uni and changes were made and I'm not entirely sure what happened. Plenty of access initiatives though, which I was rather involved with :yes:

DSA were very quick to reply to me but I'm postgrad and self-funded. Dunno whether that would account for the difference :dontknow:

Original post by kerily
STEP is a monstrosity. They basically decided that a-level maths and further maths aren't hard enough, so they needed to invent their own new exam which nobody has ever heard of, and make you sit it :tongue: I fully appreciate where they're coming from, but it's so hard!

I will definitely do that in the morning. Thankyou very much :smile:

And wow! That's fantastic - definitely not anonymous at all then. Was your college quite a small/famously 'friendly' one?

It's famously friendly but it's the fourth largest college, IIRC :yes:

I like labels too. Far simpler than trying to explain everything that goes on in my head. I've only managed to do that with one person (one of the aforementioned welfare tutors. The things I put them through :biggrin: ) :o:
Reply 31
It's famously friendly but it's the fourth largest college, IIRC :yes:

I like labels too. Far simpler than trying to explain everything that goes on in my head. I've only managed to do that with one person (one of the aforementioned welfare tutors. The things I put them through :biggrin: ) :o:

Emmanuel's famously friendly too :biggrin: Not that I expect anywhere to exactly be full of horrible people, though :tongue:

It's an awful lot better. Also a lot less personal - 'I have Asperger's', for example, is a lot less personally revealing than 'I can be socially awkward and susceptible to sensory overload, and if you ever wanted me to make eye contact, prepare for disappointment' but does the job just as well. And often you just don't have three hours to explain everything that's going on in your head to them - or you don't understand it yourself :tongue:
Reply 32
Isn't DSA for study related difficulties? I don't see how counselling relate to it. With my uni for example, anybody could get some counselling just because they feel stressed or their gran just passed away etc. None of these people would be entitled to DSA, does Sussex refuse to offer any help then? This is really unheard of, go you your SU and get them to have a word with the couselling people.

In terms of what am I expecting to get from my DSA, I honestly don't know, what I do know is I still have my 2 penny worth of sane and would probaby turn down some fancy equipment they disc out to everyone; why would I need a computer, a printer, rams of paper, ink etc etc when my normally health classmates need / dont need as much of any of these as I do? The main reason I applied was because I know this way the study support would get the money back for the extra tutorials they give me, they will give me support anyway, but if they can get the money back then even better.

here is a contact for DSA: [email protected]

If you email them with a contact number and ask them to call you back, an assessor will do so. I got hold of a very nice lady and now I have direct access to her which is always handy.

Right off to bed now as appointment is bright and early. Will feedback after that.
Original post by kerily
Oh I know, but I like to be able to slap labels on things. If you can say 'I have x' people have to help you; if you just say 'I feel y and z', people tend to go 'oh'. I'm trying to hang on until I get help :smile: But I've been trying since I was 13, so it's starting to take the mick a bit really. UCL is awesome though - part of me would be happier in London than in Cambridge, so I won't be too upset either way :smile:

****. We were meant to apply before we did student finance? I sent mine off on Friday :tongue:

Haha, don't worry, I get the need for labels. :smile: It's really frustrating when you have no way to describe what you're going through and when no-one takes you seriously. It's sot of a relief to know there's a name for what you have and you're not going through a unique kind of crazy! Oh and it's easier than describing the ins and outs of your mental health! Buuut, it's also really frustrating when you have the label and then it's all people who know about it care about. :redface: Might just be my experience! :redface:

I think I might have somehow applied wrong haha, don't worry about it! They have the option on the student finance page to download a DSA form so I think you've done it right! :teehee:
I might have to give them a call...
Reply 34
I empathise with how you feel but I think it's important for both of us to recognise that we're ill and that as such, we are as entitled to help as everyone else the DSA covers :smile:

Well, I have gotten easier on myself now compare to a couple of years ago. Still I guess mental health is still something you wanna keep to yourself and something that comes and go and hard to admit. :frown:

But maybe I will just put on my thick skin and to get as much freebie as I humanly can since me trying to help save the gov a few penny won't really make any difference in a grand scheme of things... :colone: <- that's my greedy face.
Original post by ExTraP
Isn't DSA for study related difficulties? I don't see how counselling relate to it. With my uni for example, anybody could get some counselling just because they feel stressed or their gran just passed away etc. None of these people would be entitled to DSA, does Sussex refuse to offer any help then? This is really unheard of, go you your SU and get them to have a word with the couselling people.

In terms of what am I expecting to get from my DSA, I honestly don't know, what I do know is I still have my 2 penny worth of sane and would probaby turn down some fancy equipment they disc out to everyone; why would I need a computer, a printer, rams of paper, ink etc etc when my normally health classmates need / dont need as much of any of these as I do? The main reason I applied was because I know this way the study support would get the money back for the extra tutorials they give me, they will give me support anyway, but if they can get the money back then even better.

here is a contact for DSA: [email protected]

If you email them with a contact number and ask them to call you back, an assessor will do so. I got hold of a very nice lady and now I have direct access to her which is always handy.

Right off to bed now as appointment is bright and early. Will feedback after that.

Thanks for the email address. Oh, and good night!
Original post by ExTraP
Well, I have gotten easier on myself now compare to a couple of years ago. Still I guess mental health is still something you wanna keep to yourself and something that comes and go and hard to admit. :frown:

But maybe I will just put on my thick skin and to get as much freebie as I humanly can since me trying to help save the gov a few penny won't really make any difference in a grand scheme of things... :colone: <- that's my greedy face.

That's the spirit. I was initially reluctant to get any DSA help but my sisters sat me down, told me it's OK and my Asian genes kicked in :bhangra:

To be fair, the two things I really want are a dictaphone and a decent/working printer, which I think is reasonable :smile:
Reply 37
It's not just an Asian thing, there greedier nations than Asians... Hahaha... I am Chinese, dont I just know what greedy mean!!
I called them up and I'm going to have to apply again. :sigh: They can't find my DSA form.
Reply 39
So I am back. The assessment went really well actually apart form I forgot to mention a few things, which mean I have to email them now to mention what I forgot. The assessor told lead of the conversation with a joke or two here and there, so the whole thing wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. He started off asking me some background information like how did I do at school, how did I get on with others etc. And the rest of the assessment was based on difficulities I experience in my daily life as well as college. What kind of help might be helpful etc. He showed me a few software which he is going to recommand, they are those box standard assesstive software like making the computer talk to you, mind map etc. He has also going to recommand a book scanner which means I could scan in the pages and get the computer to read out the text to me. I think it's gonna be great help coz I get so confused reading. So yeah, for those of you have needs assessments for the future, it's nothing to worry about as they know how to make you talk.

Quick Reply

Latest