The Student Room Group

MI5/6

A quick question;

Has anyone ever applied to join MI5 or MI6? - What was the process like?
Reply 1
Yes I have, but a public forum isn't the place to really discuss this stuff. What I will tell you is the first few application steps are quite easy, some numerical and verbal testing. There's also some sort of scenario testing. The application steps and timeline are all listed on the website. Do that test thingy on the website as well, it doens't affect your application though. Sorry for not being more helpful.
Reply 2
Everyone wants to be a spy - I'd apply for more realistic careers while you're waiting on them to get back to you - or just keep watching Spooks lol aw cute.
Original post by lesbionic
Everyone wants to be a spy - I'd apply for more realistic careers while you're waiting on them to get back to you - or just keep watching Spooks lol aw cute.

I don't want to be a spy, or apply to join the agency. I'm just interested in the subject.

I guess i should ask for this thread to be moved in to a more general part of the forum. :smile:
Reply 4
MI5 actively recruit in graduate jobs booklets. The application process is straight forward really - though you aren't meant to discuss that you are applying.

I applied, passed the numerical/verbal compentency questions then got invited to an interview, but decided it wasn't for me at the time. I am going to apply later on in life, after I have learnt a foreign language.
Reply 5
Original post by Lee R
A quick question;

Has anyone ever applied to join MI5 or MI6? - What was the process like?

I'm sure plenty of TSRians have.

The problem is, if you're successful, the fact that you work for the service is classified, so you're unlikely to meet any of them unless you're supplying them, and certainly not on TSR lol

As has been described, the initial application process is much like any other graduate position at the moment. Application form, psychometric tests like verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning, and then interviews, albeit you won't find out anything more than that unless you apply.

It's worth noting that, as the website describes, you will have to wait around 6-9 months to find out whether you've got the job or not, as you'll need a DV clearance, including medical, financial, character checks, a CRB check, and so forth.

I know a few people who have applied, and people who have been successful and others unsuccessful.
Yeah my Cousin worked there for a while,
basically they look in meticulous detail on your work/travel/education history in meticulous detail and you have to fit certain criteria making sure you're not a nazi,
other than that, it's the same as other job applications, just slightly stricter on things like impartiatlity etc.
Reply 7
Original post by kingkev
Yes I have, but a public forum isn't the place to really discuss this stuff. What I will tell you is the first few application steps are quite easy, some numerical and verbal testing.

If you don't mind sharing, what class degree did you get and from what university? I'm interested in the idea of working for the mi5/6 however i'm thinking the degree that i will get in a couple of years time won't be good enough. On their website they don't really suggest that they only take on top university graduates, is it more about how you perform on their own tests? Thanks :smile:
I applied last year; buggered up the computer test thingy :/. :ninjagirl:
Reply 9
Original post by pandajoe
If you don't mind sharing, what class degree did you get and from what university? I'm interested in the idea of working for the mi5/6 however i'm thinking the degree that i will get in a couple of years time won't be good enough. On their website they don't really suggest that they only take on top university graduates, is it more about how you perform on their own tests? Thanks :smile:

I'm in my fourth year at newcaslte uni and I can't graduate with less than a 2.1 this year. I don't think it matters what uni you go to and when I applied you needed a 2.2 minimum. Why do you think you're degree won't be good enough? I assume you're in the first year.
Reply 10
Original post by kingkev
I'm in my fourth year at newcaslte uni and I can't graduate with less than a 2.1 this year. I don't think it matters what uni you go to and when I applied you needed a 2.2 minimum. Why do you think you're degree won't be good enough? I assume you're in the first year.

Thanks for replying and sorry for my late reply :P
Yeah i'm in my first year at Coventry University studying Criminology. I just presumed that the MI5 only take top graduates and Cov uni isn't a highly respected university to graduate from. I was hoping to get atleast a 2:1 and then do a masters degree at a better university. I know some uni's do a masters degree related to terrorism and global security which really interests me although it might be a bit too specialized if i want to keep my career options open. Not really sure what i want to do as a career and i thought i better start thinking about it soon. MI5/6 seems to best bet to me so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending