The Student Room Group

Unprotected Sex

Hey guys, I know I should really be asking a doctor about this but was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I had unprotected sex with my gf a couple of nights ago, in a druken haze i was irresponsible enough to not use a condom. Spare the lecturing of how stupid that is etc, cos I know .. Just now I have to deal with the consequences.

My gf doesn't want to take the morning after pill because she doesn't think she needs it, she just finished her period and apparently ladies arn't ovulating at this stage and therefore pregnancy is very unlikely? Anyone have any experience in this?

I'm just about to finish university and know for sure that we are not ready for a child, I can't work out wether she is just being difficult because she genuinly thinks the chance of pregnancy is next to none or wants a baby and is not telling me.

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have the falcon punch on standby.
Have you tried talking to her again? Maybe she feels embarrassed to go and get the pill, there's a sense of shame in walking to a clinic and she's absolutely nervous? Offer to support her the whole way through things. Maybe you could get her to talk on the phone to someone about the process before you both go?

I've been through this before but the condom split. In my experience it's usually embarrassment and the fear of walking through the clinic door.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Hmmm difficult one, the morning after pill would be the best bet, but if she doesnt wanna take it..... hmm then i dunno.

Just FYI the pill works up to 72 hours after the sex (obviously the longer you wait the less effective it is) so you at least have that long to get her to take it
Reply 4
Are your initials J B by any chance?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, I know I should really be asking a doctor about this but was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I had unprotected sex with my gf a couple of nights ago, in a druken haze i was irresponsible enough to not use a condom. Spare the lecturing of how stupid that is etc, cos I know .. Just now I have to deal with the consequences.

My gf doesn't want to take the morning after pill because she doesn't think she needs it, she just finished her period and apparently ladies arn't ovulating at this stage and therefore pregnancy is very unlikely? Anyone have any experience in this?

I'm just about to finish university and know for sure that we are not ready for a child, I can't work out wether she is just being difficult because she genuinly thinks the chance of pregnancy is next to none or wants a baby and is not telling me.

Any advice?

There is still a good chance that she could be pregnant. She really should go and get the pill if she does not wish to be pregnant. Chances are she is scared/nervous about getting the morning after pill. Try talking to her about it. Maybe she just needs a bit of support and it's probably best if you went with her to get it.
Reply 6
Start saving for nappies
Reply 7
Morning after pill.

Although it is unlikey she will fall pregnant, it is not 100% and there is always a risk. Sperm can live inside a body for up to a couple of days.

Talk to her and say you want to be absolutely sure and would rather she take the morning after pill.

But - just re-read your post. You say it happened a couple of nights ago? Morning after pill is most effective - the morning after. The longer the delay the less effective it is. It must be taken within 72 hours (3 days of unprotected sex) otherwise it is too late.

Maybe talk to her about other forms of contraception if you are likely to have unprotected sex more often, then you will not have this worry every time!
Original post by mxr808
Are your initials J B by any chance?

win
Reply 9
its very unlikely but possible
Reply 10
Its actually a lot harder to get pregnant than you think as most people find out when they try for children. Think when it happens to us though we get madly paranoid but then again pregnancy is all about chance...
But yeh since she just finished her period it's very unlikely that she would be pregnant due to the previous shedding of the womb lining...ah gcse biology still helpful 3 years on :h:
Reply 11
Well ovulation occurs around the middle of a woman's cycle so if you have a 28-day cycle, for example, then you'll usually ovulate on the 14th day, counting the first day of your period as the first day of your cycle. If your period lasts 5 or 6 days, by the time you finish menstruating you're about a week away from ovulating again. And sperm can live for 2/3 days so it IS possible, just unlikely x
Reply 12
I'd be suspicious of why she didn't want to take the pill. When I've had unprotected sex the priority was avoiding pregnancy so I took the MAP regardless of where I was in my cycle. There's no time when you can't get pregnant, just times when it's less likely.
Reply 13

Any advice?

The morning after pill would probably be ineffective now as it only works up to 72 hours and it would have been best for her to take it straight away. Sperm can survive in her for up to seven days and women can get pregnant after their period, although it's very unlikely. There is a chance she could get pregnant although if you're both lucky enough to dogde it this time I would recommend you keep a condom on you for when these moments arise - pun intended. :biggrin:
Still very possible. Tell her to check, even if you have to bring out the "for my own piece of mind" jargon.

Trust me, I'm a doctor. (well, I will be soon...)
Reply 15
i was in the exact same situation although i went to the chemist the following day to get the morning after pill... the chemist asked when i was due my period and i said i had just finished a couple of days ago. she gave me the pill anyway but said it was unlikely that i needed it in the first place
Reply 16
It is very unlikely but possible. There's a 5 day morning after pill now. If she's embarrassed to go and get the pill you can buy it for her
She's being ridiculous, karma will bite her back for being stubborn and then she'll be one of those girls moaning they don't want to be pregnant when they could've easily popped a tiny pill. Yeah it's a bit embarrassing to purchase or go to the clinic for, but the shame is over in 5 minutes.
Reply 18

Any advice?

She's right, the chances of conception are very small.
However, she should sill take the morning after pill because sperm is like a magnet to the ovum.
Reply 19
This happened to me with 2 girls. The first time I was scared ****-less but without much hesitation she went and got herself the pill.

The second time was more tricky. It was with my gf, she didn't really want to, and it took me a bit of time to convince her, eventually she agreed as long as I pick it up for her. But unfortunately they don't allow you as a guy to pick it up. They not only not give it to you, they also treat you like a social menace!

It could be very possible that your soon-to-be mother feels too shy to pick up the pill :smile:

but really, to avoid pregnancy, go get it!
Yes, it can be painful to take it. And it might be embarrassing to deal with pharmacy staff, but the only way to reduce the chances to a ground-low is for her to take the pill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending