The Student Room Group

Girls, do you use tampons or sanitary towels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hbandtr4eva
How is that any more disgusting than tampons? You're still sticking your fingers up yourself and getting blood on them. Mooncups have no risk of TSS and aren't stuffed full of bleach and other crappy chemicals like tampons.

Have you not heard of tampon aplicators? :s-smilie: Plus, even if I don't use aplicators I never get blood on my fingers, it's clean in there for me, you just have to replace them regularly. Tampons stop the period higher up than mooncup, so your vagina actually never gets bloody.
Towels.

I think they are disgusting and don't like them as I feel dirty/like I'm wearing a nappy... And I always find it a bit embarrassing, being 19, and still using towels... I feel like most people stopped when they were like 14/15

But I've never gotten on very well with tampons when I've used them, so tend to avoid them.
I only recently started using tampons (by recently, I mean yesterday LOL!) because I didn't quite like the idea of sticking something up me to plug. Sanitary napkins are a lot safer anyway, but more uncomfortable depending on how loose your panties are.

So yeah, I suppose I can say I use both now.
Tampons FTW. Though the first time I used them I didn't realise what the applicator was and left it on, was quite uncomfortable and I gave up trying to use them for a while.
I used pads when I first started and then tried tampons which made my life so much better!

Question: When I'm inserting my first tampon of my period, I'm fine, but after that, everytime I insert a tampon, I get this painful achey feeling in my lower abdomen, anyone else have this problem?
I prefer to use a newborn child, but if i can't get hold of one, tampon :smile:
Original post by Shadowplay
Have you not heard of tampon aplicators? :s-smilie: Plus, even if I don't use aplicators I never get blood on my fingers, it's clean in there for me, you just have to replace them regularly. Tampons stop the period higher up than mooncup, so your vagina actually never gets bloody.

Uh yes I have heard of applicator tampons, they were the ones I used to use and I *always* got a bit of blood on my fingers when I was changing them. Not all women lose the same amount of blood during their periods. Your vagina may not get bloody if you use tampons but the tampons are also soaking up all your natural lubrication and I found the most painful part of my period was putting in a new tampon when I was completely dry up there. I also don't want to suffer from TSS either thank you very much.
Reply 147
Mooncup!!!

I'm not grossed out by my own blood so changing it doesn't phase me, its stopped the cramping I got with tampons and after only having it for 6 months its already paid for itself as I used to spend a fortune due to being fairly heavy...and its environmentally friendly, bonus!

As for changing it when I'm out, I've only had to do it once as it holds so much more than a tampon and I just wiped it out, popped it back and gave it a good clean when I got home...its only my own blood after all.
i have the contraceptive implant so i haven't had periods in over a year, WIN
Original post by Anonymous
i have the contraceptive implant so i haven't had periods in over a year, WIN

So unfair. I got the implant and missed one period and was like YAY, what a wonderful side effect. Now each one lasts three weeks. You lucky thing!!
Original post by gingerrama
I read that exact story on FML :hmmm:

I am 17 now and so is she, and this happened with her 2nd boyfriend when she was 14, so just over 3 years ago. Maybe she wrote it on FML or told it to someone who did? I don't know, all I know is it definetly happened!
Towels, not because I find tampons "gross" or uncomfortable, but because:
If you're not sure how full a pad is, you can always go to the nearest toilet and check. With a tampon, you can't, so it's pot luck....you either take it out and it's half empty, or it's leaking and you're too late.

Not worth the hassle.
Towels make me leak. Red, white jeans etc = not good.
I have a bad feeling that OP is a boy:frown:
Original post by NeonSkies
Towels. I've tried tampons but they were really uncomfortable for me.

Same here :frown:
Original post by Terpsikhore
I keep hearing how tampons are so much 'easier'... how the heck do you figure that out? I don't think you can get much simpler than pulling some paper off a pad and sticking it to your knickers. :tongue: But I find tampons impossibly difficult to use. I've been trying for over a decade, and I just can't work out how to use them.

Pads are hella inconvenient, though. I can't lie on my back or my front because they leak, I have to miss gymnastics and dance classes because the pads move too much and they're visible through my shorts, and they take up so much space in my handbag.

Exactly this! Pads are just easy and tampons really seem to hurt when I put them in, while they're in and when I take them out! Plus with pads you can see when you need to change it but how do you know with tampons? do you have to wait until it's leaked?
Reply 156
Neither. I use the mooncup and wouldn't go back to pads or tampons now :smile:
Original post by Jadelyndsey
I am 17 now and so is she, and this happened with her 2nd boyfriend when she was 14, so just over 3 years ago. Maybe she wrote it on FML or told it to someone who did? I don't know, all I know is it definetly happened!

Might have been her who put it up there :teehee:
:angry:
Original post by hbandtr4eva
Uh yes I have heard of applicator tampons, they were the ones I used to use and I *always* got a bit of blood on my fingers when I was changing them. Not all women lose the same amount of blood during their periods. Your vagina may not get bloody if you use tampons but the tampons are also soaking up all your natural lubrication and I found the most painful part of my period was putting in a new tampon when I was completely dry up there. I also don't want to suffer from TSS either thank you very much.

You do know how rare TSS is right?
i prefer using tampons but i use mostly pads and always pads at night

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending