The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Endcliffe returners, Birchen

Hello there :smile:

Ive decided i want to live in Endcliffe for my third year, but i cant decide whether i should live with returners in the Birchen apartments or live with first years.

Does anyone live in/ know what birchen is like? What kind of people live there? Is it sociable/ fun to live in?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers! x

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I'm currently on my year abroad in France but will be coming back to Sheffield for my final year in September. I lived in Howden in Endcliffe in both my first and second years at Sheffield. Oddly enough, I actually sent off my application to return to Endcliffe for my final year this morning and I've chosen to go into Birchen.

I lived with first years again in my second year and while I enjoyed it, I think I'd prefer to be with other like-minded returner students in my final year, just given all the pressures of the last year etc. It was a laugh living with first years again in my second year but I think the slight difference in priorities between first years and final years might make living together awkward. Plus, Birchen's in a much quieter area of Endcliffe (up round Stepho's bar) which will definitely be a plus in final year given that it can and did get quite noisy around The Edge and the centre of Endcliffe (especially at night).

As far as I can tell the Birchen flats are exactly the same as the rest of the new Endcliffe residences (ensuite, shared kitchen, identical rooms etc).

So while I can't comment on what exactly Birchen's like having not yet lived there myself, I'll be there come September!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Thanks for your help, was most useful!

Im just looking around at what there is available at the moment, i take your point about the difference in priorities between 1st and third years but Birchen seems quite secluded to me. Ive looked around the returner flats in ranmoor and it seems as though theres more of a 'community' feel.

Birchen is still an option though!
No problem. I think you're right about Birchen being more secluded, but I think that's intended so as to put the returner students a little way away from the centre of Endcliffe. I did consider Ravenstone, but decided I'd prefer to be nearer Broomhill (ie. the pubs) and town.

Let me know how you get on!
Reply 4
I can see how distance to the pubs can be a big factor!

Yeah i will, il definately let you know if i choose Birchen anyway. Although i do quite like the look of ravenstone so il see!
Reply 5
Hi,

I found out today I'm living in Birchen today. Definitely looking forward to it being a little quieter what with third year and all. I'm a Residential Mentor though so I wonder if they will mix up returners and mentors or keep it separate?
Reply 6
Hey I'm moving into Birchen for my second year :-) I'm in apartment D4
Reply 7
Original post by opera12

i'm d4 too :smile: do you have facebook?
Reply 8
Original post by Mooseem
Hi,

I found out today I'm living in Birchen today. Definitely looking forward to it being a little quieter what with third year and all. I'm a Residential Mentor though so I wonder if they will mix up returners and mentors or keep it separate?

which flat will you be in?
Reply 9
Original post by Bladesman Ben
Hi,

I'm currently on my year abroad in France but will be coming back to Sheffield for my final year in September. I lived in Howden in Endcliffe in both my first and second years at Sheffield. Oddly enough, I actually sent off my application to return to Endcliffe for my final year this morning and I've chosen to go into Birchen.

I lived with first years again in my second year and while I enjoyed it, I think I'd prefer to be with other like-minded returner students in my final year, just given all the pressures of the last year etc. It was a laugh living with first years again in my second year but I think the slight difference in priorities between first years and final years might make living together awkward. Plus, Birchen's in a much quieter area of Endcliffe (up round Stepho's bar) which will definitely be a plus in final year given that it can and did get quite noisy around The Edge and the centre of Endcliffe (especially at night).

As far as I can tell the Birchen flats are exactly the same as the rest of the new Endcliffe residences (ensuite, shared kitchen, identical rooms etc).

So while I can't comment on what exactly Birchen's like having not yet lived there myself, I'll be there come September!

i'm in birchen too, which flat are you?
Reply 10
Didn't know you could return to Endcliffe, how do you go about applying for that? I will have to book my accomodation from abroad this year, so it would be really helpful to know. I was in Burbage in my first year.
Reply 11
I'm in Birchen for my first year. Apartment A1 :smile:. Anyone else in that apartment or nearby?
Reply 12
Original post by jesslbarnes
which flat will you be in?

A4 :smile:
Original post by Mooseem
A4 :smile:

i'm d4 :smile:
Reply 14

i'm d4 too :smile: do you have facebook?

Hey i'm Delia Trapeze Stanway on facebook :-)
Reply 15
Original post by samg1993
I'm in Birchen for my first year. Apartment A1 :smile:. Anyone else in that apartment or nearby?

A4 so just 4 floors up :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by opera12

hey I'm in Birchen this year appartment D3. add me on facebook if you are in Birchen (William Arthur Watts)
Reply 17
hey im in birchen this year but it is my 1st year, are there any more 1st years living in birchen? and in B1 btw :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by bean2112
hey im in birchen this year but it is my 1st year, are there any more 1st years living in birchen? and in B1 btw :smile:

Yea, me :smile: And I'm in A1 so not far away!
Reply 19
yay :smile: nice to meet a fresher in Birchen :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest