The Student Room Group

How long do you wait after drinking to drive?

I went out last night to a house party and had a fair bit to drink, I've gotten home and I don't have a hangover, no headache, no sickness, nothing.

But I've left my phone at this house and was thinking of driving over, it's been about 12 hours since I last had something to drink, would it be out of my system or should I wait longer? I don't want to get into the car and put myself or others in danger because my reactions might still be affected. Anyone know if it'd be ok for me go or should I just leave it until tomorrow?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should aim to leave at least an hour per unit of alcohol. If you can remember what you drank last night you can use a unit calculator to work it out. One pint of Stella is 3 units, so you would have needed to drink 4 or fewer pints to be safe.

And this is only a guide - some people process alcohol slower.
Reply 2
I would leave at least 24 hours. Honestly - think about it - is it worth the risk? Not only the risk of injuring yourself/others, but the risk of getting pulled by police all because you needed wanted your phone?
Reply 3
Get yourself an Alcosense.
Reply 4
I would probably go for Jackhackett advise - 24hrs is probably the best and safe way to avoid getting your licence taken away..
Reply 5
Oh for gods sake, once the hangover is gone you're fine. You can tell whether or not you feel sober. Don't overreact. 24 hours is ridiculous, how the **** are you meant to drive home the next day? I got breathalised one morning after some dickhead drove into me having had lots of units the night before and came up as 0.0 on the meter.
Original post by py0alb
Oh for gods sake, once the hangover is gone you're fine. You can tell whether or not you feel sober. Don't overreact. 24 hours is ridiculous, how the **** are you meant to drive home the next day? I got breathalised one morning after some dickhead drove into me having had lots of units the night before and came up as 0.0 on the meter.

Winner of the March TSR Most Irresponsibly Idiotic Post Award.
Reply 7
Original post by hypocriticaljap
Winner of the March TSR Most Irresponsibly Idiotic Post Award.

go away troll.
Reply 8
Lol so after a heavy night you're expected to wait 24-48 hours before driving home? Do me a favour.
Original post by py0alb
go away troll.

Piss off alcky
Reply 10
Original post by Brocky800
Lol so after a heavy night you're expected to wait 24-48 hours before driving home? Do me a favour.

You can certainly tell the previous laughable advice was given by a series of 15 year olds who have no experience of either drinking or driving.
Reply 11

No, in the morning you just don't drive home. You get a lift from someone who hasn't been drinking/bus/taxi.
Just because you think you're sober doesn't mean you are. Why risk other peoples lives?
Although I do agree that 24 hours is a little excessive, but then it really depends on how much alcohol you've had.
Reply 12
Original post by tikkitak
No, in the morning you just don't drive home. You get a lift from someone who hasn't been drinking/bus/taxi.
Just because you think you're sober doesn't mean you are. Why risk other peoples lives?
Although I do agree that 24 hours is a little excessive, but then it really depends on how much alcohol you've had.

You hang around, have some breakfast and a coffee, then assess how you are around 10am. If you have any symptoms of being hungover - achy, sweating, headache, nauseous, cotton mouth, feeling tired and uncoordinated, then you wait until the late afternoon (assuming they have completely dissipated by then). If you don't have any of those symptoms then you're probably alright to drive.
I'd be wary tbh, depends how much you've drunk, if you've eaten and how much sleep.

Even when I'm not hungover I feel bloody tired, which is sometimes worse.
Original post by py0alb
You hang around, have some breakfast and a coffee, then assess how you are around 10am. If you have any symptoms of being hungover - achy, sweating, headache, nauseous, cotton mouth, feeling tired and uncoordinated, then you wait until the late afternoon (assuming they have completely dissipated by then). If you don't have any of those symptoms then you're probably alright to drive.

I agree with this guy. Depends how much sleep you've had though. Sometimes I feel fine the next morning and then BAM, late hangover.
If you didn't drink excessively, you've had plenty of sleep and plenty of water you'll be fine. If at any point you start to feel groggy, weary, dizzy or confused, then pull over immediately.

This.
Depends where you live as well. I live in the country and there are no police around so even if you do think you might be over you're not going to get caught.
Reply 18
Original post by wilko1991
Depends where you live as well. I live in the country and there are no police around so even if you do think you might be over you're not going to get caught.

It isn't about being caught it is about being safe...
Original post by fwed1
It isn't about being caught it is about being safe...

Very true. Although if you smoke it hinders the results of the breatahlyzer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending