The Student Room Group

Vegetarians...

Scroll to see replies

Actually I find being vegetarian leads to a fair amount of disdain from a lot of people and even dislike without having heard my reasoning they presume I see meat eaters as morally inferior or that I love animals and must support green peace.
So **** off with your generalisations please.
Reply 21
I know one girl who's a vegetarian but eats fish and goes fox hunting.... boggles the mind
Reply 22
Im not citing any study, just a trend I myself have noticed. And im saying the moral reason is pretty dumb, as long as the animal is killed in a humane way I don't see what the problem is.
Reply 23
Original post by imperial maniac
Try it and then, I don't see why you would deprive yourself of the joys of a bacon sandwich.

I don't see why you would expose yourself to a bacon sandwich.
:mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

I'm a simple male... Give me meat, give me woman

I am happy male :smile:
Original post by lekky

I just don't miss meat, and don't even see it as a food group when I look at like, like I don't connect it with flavour and nourishment in my head as I would if I was looking at a potato/apple/bag of crisps

Haha. Crisps nourishing. Salmon not.

;p

Original post by Linweth
I don't see why you would expose yourself to a bacon sandwich.

For the sexual thrill of it, man. The sexual thrill.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
i will never ever become a vegetarian because i love meat too much, never mind whether it's good or bad for you. I have tried quorn and it's an okay substitute but isn't really the same thing. However I look down on cruelty to farm animals so i'm boycotting KFC even though i love KFC so maybe that's why some people choose not to eat meat.

I have friends who are veggies (hope that's not offensive), one doesn't eat meat because we don't hunt for our food and the other is a pescatarian. I have noticed the latter friend is very skinny so maybe it's not good for her health. The thing is other mammals eat meat so why can't we? The biggest problem is the torture of animals which is why some veggies eat fish because even if fish are farmed they still have a better quality of life than land animals. :mad:
Reply 28
It was meant to be a basis for discussion, everything doesn't have to be backed by countless statistics. And I don't study philosophy, because im actually doing a useful degree (law).
Reply 29
None, besides, you're missing the point. I don't claim to be an expert (if you can even be one..) in moral philosophy or any other form of philosophy. I just merely pointed out a trend I noticed based off my personal experiences. Not everyone has to be a scientist or a self proclaimed expert to have a passing opinion on a matter.
Reply 30
Are you a vegetarian by any chance?
Reply 31
Just that you seem seriously butthurt about something. And I guess I could pull some stats off google, but the point of this thread was to see if anyone else noticed the same thing I have. Which hopefully would have led to a discussion but now you've killed it, well done.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't care if someone is a vegetarian really. One thing I hate is when they get all funny with you if you do eat meat and tell you that it's "wrong". I don't judge you for not wanting meat. Don't judge me for it. Simples.
Original post by EggmanD
I hate vegetarians because they are different from me and they dont follow my beliefs. I think they should get out my country.

I assume you're being sarcastic here, in which case well played, very well played.

I'm a vegetarian not because I think it's wrong, but because I don't like the taste. I eat sweets with gelatine in them because I like them.
And fish smell when they get taken out of the sea. All there is to it
I don't have a problem at all with them. But never trust a Vegetarian who happens to be a Hippy. They are the most self obsessed ***** you'll ever meet.
Original post by tillytots

Slightly off topic, but out of curiosity do you eat 'fake meat' (quorn chicken etc ) ? I know a lot of 'new' vegetarians as such who seem to live on it, but I've noticed it seems to be not as common in us life longs....

Meat's kind of a hard habit to get out of. When you don't grow up on a vegetarian diet you're used to having meat as a centre to the meal and everything else being something to add to the taste.
There's not really many vegetables with a strong enough taste to do that though, there's some types of mushroom, but that's about it for the most part.
They don't taste the same, but they work in that place well enough.
I'm confused, you're disagreeing with there being few vegetables that have a strong enough taste to be the focus of a dish, by saying about blending things together?
Reply 37
Original post by tillytots
Slightly off topic, but out of curiosity do you eat 'fake meat' (quorn chicken etc ) ? I know a lot of 'new' vegetarians as such who seem to live on it, but I've noticed it seems to be not as common in us life longs....

This fits my experience. If you like bacon enough to want to eat some vastly inferior substitute, then just eat bacon!
Pulses have plenty protein to replace meat.
I'm a vegetarian and have been for 6 years and I actually agree with you in some ways. What rattles me more is people saying they are vegetarians but still eating fish and chicken. The correct term for that is pescatarian.However I don't think that "killing animals is wrong" is a retarded reason since that is one of the main reasons for any vegetarian.

At the end of the day we do what we have to do to survive. My boyfriend hates veg and eats loads of meat (Even grim stuff like kebab pizza URGH!) but that's how he lives. On the other hand I can live without and don't need meat.

I don't think girls are the main offender though. I know a lot of male vegans 'doing it for the trend' when really, they pick so much at other peoples eating habits they just make themselves out to be idiots. Forcing your own beliefs on others is awful. If you want to vegetarian, do for the right reasons and your own reasons!
I noticed in Come Dine with Me last the night the vegetarian eating Guinness pie. He even asked "So there's Guinness in this"? and carried on eating.
Not very vegetarian of him.

I only mention this because the OP said something about Come Dine with Me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending