The Student Room Group

Best Universities to ask nicely :D

:cool:

I am currently a Scottish college student looking to re-apply for medicine this year. I am sending out e-mails to universities around the UK to find out who would consider me with my educational history. It's pretty rubbish so bear with me and be respectful :smile:

I am currently 24. I sat 5 SQA Highers in my 5th year at high school, aged 16, and gained BBBCC. In my 6th year I gained BBD in my Advanced Highers and a C in a further additional Higher. Disappointed that I did not gain the entry requirements for medicine, I began an English Literature degree at Glasgow University. In my 2nd year I fell pregnant and became a single mother and took the opportunity to leave University without the intention of returning. I was 20 when this happened.

Facing the difficulties of becoming a single parent, I was pretty sure I would not return to education. However, last year, with encouragement and support from friends and family, I decided to try and apply for medicine. Since then I have began college to resit my Higher exams. This has involved difficulties - as most students only take 3 or 4 subjects, timetabling has meant that I teach myself Higher Maths and will sit the exam as an external candidate. It has also involved "crashing" a Higher in History, that is to say, studying a subject I have never really done before (not since I was 12 actually). Despite these difficulties, I have performed incredibly well in my prelim exams and I am confident I will gain AAAAA by the end of the year.

I know some universities will take one look at my application and decide I am not a good candidate: it is understandable. However, I gained a 680 average on the UKCAT exam, received two interviews from my application to medicine this year and my lack of success in gaining a conditional offer has only made me more determined to reapply this year.

Any advice for an idiot? Pretty sure my situation is by no means unique, if a little complicated :wink:

PS I noticed that someone e-mailed universities about applying during a degree a few weeks ago, but I can't find the thread or the info they gave!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Harbour Seal

I am currently a Scottish college student looking to re-apply for medicine this year. I am sending out e-mails to universities around the UK to find out who would consider me with my educational history. It's pretty rubbish so bear with me and be respectful :smile:

I am currently 24. I sat 5 SQA Highers in my 5th year at high school, aged 16, and gained BBBCC. In my 6th year I gained BBD in my Advanced Highers and a C in a further additional Higher. Disappointed that I did not gain the entry requirements for medicine, I began an English Literature degree at Glasgow University. In my 2nd year I fell pregnant and became a single mother and took the opportunity to leave University without the intention of returning. I was 20 when this happened.

Facing the difficulties of becoming a single parent, I was pretty sure I would not return to education. However, last year, with encouragement and support from friends and family, I decided to try and apply for medicine. Since then I have began college to resit my Higher exams. This has involved difficulties - as most students only take 3 or 4 subjects, timetabling has meant that I teach myself Higher Maths and will sit the exam as an external candidate. It has also involved "crashing" a Higher in History, that is to say, studying a subject I have never really done before (not since I was 12 actually). Despite these difficulties, I have performed incredibly well in my prelim exams and I am confident I will gain AAAAA by the end of the year.

I know some universities will take one look at my application and decide I am not a good candidate: it is understandable. However, I gained a 680 average on the UKCAT exam, received two interviews from my application to medicine this year and my lack of success in gaining a conditional offer has only made me more determined to reapply this year.

Any advice for an idiot? Pretty sure my situation is by no means unique, if a little complicated :wink:

PS I noticed that someone e-mailed universities about applying during a degree a few weeks ago, but I can't find the thread or the info they gave!

Are you just looking at applying to Scottish med schools??
Tbh your best bet is to phone everywhere and ask the questions. That's what I did and I found Peninsula, St Andrews and BSMS very helpful.
Reply 2
I just wanted to say that you received two interviews! That's an achievement :smile: Maybe you should re-apply to those universities (if they allow you to, I realise some universities will not reconsider an applicant who has been rejected post-interview) and brush up on your interview-style/technique?

And forget about 'best universities to ask nicely,' just email/phone them all :biggrin: (Albeit it being very time-consuming, it's probably worth it).
Reply 3
Original post by ryan118244
Are you just looking at applying to Scottish med schools??
Tbh your best bet is to phone everywhere and ask the questions. That's what I did and I found Peninsula, St Andrews and BSMS very helpful.

This year my two interviews were at Glasgow and Dundee. I'm looking to cast my net a little further this year for my two other spots: I'm not fussed where I go, just as long as I get to go!

Sent e-mails round basically saying the above to the BMAT universities today. Aberdeen say they will consider me, but Barts have outright said no already.

Basically we're looking for Unis who won't mind a previous bit of a degree and the fact I'm resitting my Highers.

Wouldn't mind someone telling me this was possible as well... :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I just want to wish you the best of luck with all of this and congratulations on your interviews!
Reply 5
This year my two interviews were at Glasgow and Dundee. I'm looking to cast my net a little further this year for my two other spots: I'm not fussed where I go, just as long as I get to go!

Sent e-mails round basically saying the above to the BMAT universities today. Aberdeen say they will consider me, but Barts have outright said no already.

Basically we're looking for Unis who won't mind a previous bit of a degree and the fact I'm resitting my Highers.

Wouldn't mind someone telling me this was possible as well... :redface:

Your probs much better off phoning them, always tend to be more helpful. You should actually phone peninsula because they are quite good with people with not so great educational histories, though they have high entry grades for highers, I think AAAAA.

Also try Manc, BSMS, Cardiff, UEA, St Georges, Leicester, Sheffield. They all tend to focus less on previous academics and more on other areas like UkCAT and interview.
Reply 6
Original post by notepad
I just wanted to say that you received two interviews! That's an achievement :smile: Maybe you should re-apply to those universities (if they allow you to, I realise some universities will not reconsider an applicant who has been rejected post-interview) and brush up on your interview-style/technique?

And forget about 'best universities to ask nicely,' just email/phone them all :biggrin: (Albeit it being very time-consuming, it's probably worth it).

I think this is probably the best idea. I want to get as many interviews as possible so that I feel less nervous! :biggrin:

Original post by moody_bum
I just want to wish you the best of luck with all of this and congratulations on your interviews!

Thank you very much :biggrin: It is very much appreciated!

Your probs much better off phoning them, always tend to be more helpful. You should actually phone peninsula because they are quite good with people with not so great educational histories, though they have high entry grades for highers, I think AAAAA.

Also try Manc, BSMS, Cardiff, UEA, St Georges, Leicester, Sheffield. They all tend to focus less on previous academics and more on other areas like UkCAT and interview.

I suppose I just hate bothering people. Thanks for the list of Unis though! Did you get in this year?
Reply 7
I think this is probably the best idea. I want to get as many interviews as possible so that I feel less nervous! :biggrin:

Thank you very much :biggrin: It is very much appreciated!

I suppose I just hate bothering people. Thanks for the list of Unis though! Did you get in this year?

You shouldn't be bothered, it's your future!!
I got straight out rejected last year but got 4 interviews this year and 2 offers ... just deciding which one to firm.
How did you even manage to get considered for medicine. I thought that they look at your Highers in your first sitting. How could they possibly consider the Highers you are taking just now. Would that not be unfair to people that got the grades the first time.

I am not trying to say anything bad against you or anything, but I am sure you know what I mean. I always thought they look at your first sitting only. :smile:
Reply 9

I like you. I hope you get a place somewhere :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by firestar101
How did you even manage to get considered for medicine. I thought that they look at your Highers in your first sitting. How could they possibly consider the Highers you are taking just now. Would that not be unfair to people that got the grades the first time.

I am not trying to say anything bad against you or anything, but I am sure you know what I mean. I always thought they look at your first sitting only. :smile:

Ah yes, this old question... :wink:

I'm pretty sorry you got negged for this as it's a fair point and a valid set of questions. After a period of time, some universities consider your original marks null and void ie They are too old to consider. Therefore you are given the opportunity after a period of time to sit them again as a "first sitting". For Aberdeen it's 6 years, for Glasgow it's 5... Even Dundee gave me an interview which means I must've impressed them in some other way.

Either way, it's not particularly fair to hold the marks I got at 16/17 against me when I have been through a good few life-changing events since then. I feel responsibility more keenly now, and I feel I'm a better applicant than most.
Ah yes, this old question... :wink:

I'm pretty sorry you got negged for this as it's a fair point and a valid set of questions. After a period of time, some universities consider your original marks null and void ie They are too old to consider. Therefore you are given the opportunity after a period of time to sit them again as a "first sitting". For Aberdeen it's 6 years, for Glasgow it's 5... Even Dundee gave me an interview which means I must've impressed them in some other way.

Either way, it's not particularly fair to hold the marks I got at 16/17 against me when I have been through a good few life-changing events since then. I feel responsibility more keenly now, and I feel I'm a better applicant than most.

Oh, sorry. I did not mean it in a bad way. I was just curious, as I thought that they considered your first siiting.

Thanks for clarifying things. :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by digitalis

I think thats the nicest post I've ever seen you write!!!

I also agree!!!!
Reply 13

I also agree!!!!

If only this counted for something! :cry:

In other news, I got an e-mail from Oxford today saying if I got AHs in Chemistry and something else and aced the BMAT they would shortlist me, though I would have a lessened chance of getting a place. I might apply for a larf. :lol:

Imperial also seem pretty positive about it all as well, but Manchester just said no outright. BUMS! :wink:
I might apply for a larf. :lol: )

Never do this. ****'s too risky. Apply tactically or someone else will.
Reply 15
Never do this. ****'s too risky. Apply tactically or someone else will.

Yes mum :h:

:wink:

You used to be involved in the applications process didn't you?
Reply 16
If only this counted for something! :cry:

In other news, I got an e-mail from Oxford today saying if I got AHs in Chemistry and something else and aced the BMAT they would shortlist me, though I would have a lessened chance of getting a place. I might apply for a larf. :lol:

Imperial also seem pretty positive about it all as well, but Manchester just said no outright. BUMS! :wink:

Wow quite shocked about Manc.
Anyways good luck!
Goodluck :smile: And congrats on the two interviews you did get! I hope you get a place :smile:

I also agree!!!!

I'm nice!
Reply 19
Wow quite shocked about Manc.
Anyways good luck!

Me too, I thought I heard they would allow resits this year. Obviously I was wrong :rolleyes:

More e-mails tomorrow!

Of COURSE you're nice, digitalis. And not a little sarcastic.

Quick Reply

Latest