The Student Room Group

I don't feel male or female.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexisonfire
It is natural to be gay, but nevertheless unusual.
It is natural to be green-eyed, but nevertheless unusual.
It is natural to be transgender, but very very unusual (0.005%), and therefore can be considered abnormal.

why your third conclusion? where are you drawing the line? what is the cut-off?
Original post by BPhilHopeful
why your third conclusion? where are you drawing the line? what is the cut-off?

Because it is extremely rare. So rare that many scientists would call it a psychological disorder if one is discontent with one's biological gender, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity_disorder), although I would find that demeaning for a transgender person.
Because it is extremely rare. So rare that many scientists would call it a psychological disorder if one is discontent with one's biological gender, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity_disorder), although I would find that demeaning for a transgender person.

But how rare is rare enough to qualify as 'abnormal' for you?

is current classification of transsexuality conclusive? France declassified transsexuality as a mental illness in 2009, and the APA (American Psychological Association) is debating a similar move. Homosexuality wasn't declassified until the 70s, and that was with enormous pressure, whereas many transsexual activists support classification as a psychological or physiological disorder because of implications for health insurance paying for reassignment procedures.
But how rare is rare enough to qualify as 'abnormal' for you?

is current classification of transsexuality conclusive? France declassified transsexuality as a mental illness in 2009, and the APA (American Psychological Association) is debating a similar move. Homosexuality wasn't declassified until the 70s, and that was with enormous pressure, whereas many transsexual activists support classification as a psychological or physiological disorder because of implications for health insurance paying for reassignment procedures.

Normality can not be quantified scientifically, some would say 49.99%, others under 0.1%. For me it would be under 1%, as the 99% confidence interval is the highest widely used interval in statistics.
Normality can not be quantified scientifically, some would say 49.99%, others under 0.1%. For me it would be under 1%, as the 99% confidence interval is the highest widely used interval in statistics.

but isn't that an arbitrary cut-off? only about 1% of the world has red hair, so you can imagine how rare green-eyed redheads are, but that doesn't make us 'abnormal.' but really, what is the use (or viability) of classifying something as 'normal' or 'abnormal,' given our diverse global population?
but isn't that an arbitrary cut-off? only about 1% of the world has red hair, so you can imagine how rare green-eyed redheads are, but that doesn't make us 'abnormal.' but really, what is the use (or viability) of classifying something as 'normal' or 'abnormal,' given our diverse global population?

Yes, it is arbitrary of course, as it is subjective, not objective. Nevertheless you see my point. There is no use in calling something normal when it clearly isn't (i.e. extremely rare), in order to be on a moral high ground.
Yes, it is arbitrary of course, as it is subjective, not objective. Nevertheless you see my point. There is no use in calling something normal when it clearly isn't (i.e. extremely rare), in order to be on a moral high ground.

I don't see how something being extremely rare relegates it to a lower moral ground. Are very talented musicians less moral?
I don't see how something being extremely rare relegates it to a lower moral ground. Are very talented musicians less moral?

No. You are putting yourself on a moral high ground for calling it normal, when it clearly isn't.
No. You are putting yourself on a moral high ground for calling it normal, when it clearly isn't.

I just don't understand what that assessment has to do with morality...
Reply 89
Stick a finger up your arse...if you like it consider yourself a dude.
Reply 90
Hi,

I'm sorry i haven't read the entire thread, so i don't know if its been suggested, but have you considered counselling? It might be something to think about, it works surprisingly well at getting to the bottom of the source of things.
Good luck xxx
Hi... thank you so much for writing this thread. I just wanted to say you are not alone. I feel exactly the same way. I don't want a sex change or anything like that. But I really dont get gender at all lol... it seems like some sort of drag act (to me anyway). I really wish gender didn't have to be such a huge part of things. If I could offer you one thing it would be, in all life "things are neither bad nor good... it is our thinking about them which makes it so." In other words, it is us who give meaning to things/acts, not the actual things/acts themselves. Personally, I have never understood why gender is made such a big deal of... seems to me that it's society who gives it the most meaning. So really, you are not so different just because you don't feel like a woman. I don't either.
p.s. if you want/need to talk about this more I am more than willing to talk as I'm going through a very similar thing myself.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest