The Student Room Group

Homosexuality encouraged in schools.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Fusilero
If it isn't taught as a socially acceptable conduct and part of the fabric of society then... isn't it being pushed or at least implied by omission as something that is out of line with normal moral conduct and therefore likely to be seen as unacceptable?

It's not unacceptable, but it's not the norm either. I don't think children should be taught about it until they're old enough to understand it, and at 5, I don't think they are.

Original post by Annoying-Mouse
If you see nothing wrong with homosexuality then you should see it the same as heterosexuality ergo you should be fine with it. The fact that you don't believe it's a norm means you're not okay with it.

I don't have a problem with it but it isn't the norm. No one can argue that it's the norm because you cannot reproduce that way, and you only have to look at how males and females are designed to see the more usual way it's meant to work.

What consenting adults do is none of my business, and I don't have a problem with gays. However, it would be confusing for children at such a young age. I have no problem with them being taught about it when they're old enough to understand it.
Reply 281
Original post by Smophy
You have no issue with homosexuality yet you claim it isn't normal :rolleyes:

I do not understand people presumption that educating children of homosexual relationships along with heterosexual relationships would be confusing for them. Do you have evidence or even personal experience of this?

Looking through this thread there are people who had homosexuality explained to them from a young age and are glad that it was. Having a gay uncle I had homosexuality explained to me from a very young age. It was never an issue and I was never confused! I remember explaining to my friends that my uncle had a boyfriend because noone had ever mentioned homosexuality to them. Again this was never an issue as the children just accept it.

It's not normal but it's not wrong. It's just different.

Because can you imagine when your children come home, and they ask where babies come from. They then say "so how come Maria has two mums and no dad?" It would be a bit hard for them to get their head around.

It can be helpful to know what homosexuality is, but to have it pushed as 'normal' is a bit much. As I said, it's different, acceptable, but not normal, as humans aren't designed to reproduce that way. Again I have nothing against gay people and I see nothing wrong with it, but I think it's better if children learn about it when they're a little older.
Original post by .Ali.
you cannot reproduce that way

So? Many straight couples cannot reproduce either.
Reply 283
Original post by WelshBluebird
So? Many straight couples cannot reproduce either.

No but they are designed to be able to. All I'm saying is that nature didn't design humans to have same sex relationships. I'm not saying they're wrong (I have no problem with them), just that they aren't the norm.
Original post by .Ali.
No but they are designed to be able to. All I'm saying is that nature didn't design humans to have same sex relationships. I'm not saying they're wrong (I have no problem with them), just that they aren't the norm.

Well obviously they weren't "designed to" (eugh, I hate that term, makes it sound like creationism) because they can't. In terms of the reproduction angle, you really can't use that argument because it just doesn't add up. Would you also say that people who don't want kids are not normal? (no real difference between a relationship where the couple can't have kids to one where they don't have any because they don't want to).
i think another question comes...if you had a son, and he was gay, how would you feel about that as a parent?...
Reply 286
Well obviously they weren't "designed to" (eugh, I hate that term, makes it sound like creationism) because they can't. In terms of the reproduction angle, you really can't use that argument because it just doesn't add up. Would you also say that people who don't want kids are not normal? (no real difference between a relationship where the couple can't have kids to one where they don't have any because they don't want to).

Even evolutionary arguments will fir the 'designed to' principle though, as species were meant to keep going, and if homosexuality was the norm, they would die out. Hence why there are more straight people, because that's the way it was supposed to be.

No I wouldn't, because that's choice. Choice is a very different thing to being unable to due to lack of the necessary parts.
Original post by .Ali.
It's not unacceptable, but it's not the norm either. I don't think children should be taught about it until they're old enough to understand it, and at 5, I don't think they are.

What are they not able to understand? If they can understand a man and lady being together, why not a man and a man etc?
I was always taught that you can love whoever, I'd be more confused if I was told I wasn't allowed to love somebody because 'it's not normal'
Reply 288
Original post by .Ali.
It's not normal but it's not wrong. It's just different.

Because can you imagine when your children come home, and they ask where babies come from. They then say "so how come Maria has two mums and no dad?" It would be a bit hard for them to get their head around.

It can be helpful to know what homosexuality is, but to have it pushed as 'normal' is a bit much. As I said, it's different, acceptable, but not normal, as humans aren't designed to reproduce that way. Again I have nothing against gay people and I see nothing wrong with it, but I think it's better if children learn about it when they're a little older.

We have all ready had the "where did babies come from" argument and like I and other people said then it isn't that hard to explain about adoption. Plus there are lots of families who consist of one biological parent and then someone who takes the role of the other parent. Many children know this and if they don't it is surprisingly simple to explain to them.

I understand your rejection of the idea of it being normal as, by what I gather your definition to be, it isn't normal as it is not the majority. But to tell a child it is not normal but it is not wrong would be confusing. There is no harm in telling that it is normal because it is and because at the end of the day what harm will it do? Do you think that by telling them it is normal they may be more gays who would of otherwise been straight?
Reply 289
Original post by chemical_bex
What are they not able to understand?
I was always taught that you can love whoever, I'd be more confused if I was told I wasn't allowed to love somebody because 'it's not normal'

I'm not suggesting telling them it isn't normal, but if your kids come home asking why someone has two mums and stuff, it gets a bit difficult, especially if they want to know the hows and whys. I don't think there should be an emphasis on it tbh, I don't see why it even comes into schooling at 5 years old - the kids are there to get a basic education and some social skills.
Original post by imperial maniac
Is this a good thing?

Acceptance of homosexuality is one thing, but actively teaching it as the norm to children, is that crossing a line?

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/homosexual-propaganda-taught-schoolchildren-young-five

ofc the source isn't exactly, erm...unbiased, but assuming what it says is true, do you see this as a victory for equality or as the BNP puts it "homosexual propaganda."

Edit: Thanks for the neg guys... maybe I should I've pointed out that I'm not agreeing with the BNP in any way here, it's just an interesting point of contention and I wanted to see what people's opinions were on this. I don't think my post in any way suggests that I agree with them on this matter, I'm sitting on the fence, and made the thread so I could make a more informed decision after listening to the arguments for and against.

Don't let Jesus catch you riding dirty.
Original post by .Ali.
I'm not suggesting telling them it isn't normal, but if your kids come home asking why someone has two mums and stuff, it gets a bit difficult, especially if they want to know the hows and whys. I don't think there should be an emphasis on it tbh, I don't see why it even comes into schooling at 5 years old - the kids are there to get a basic education and some social skills.

How is it difficult? If you teach them from the off that both homosexuality and heterosexuality are normal, then explaining both scenarios won't be difficult at all... it's only if you shelter a child from one or the other then it starts to become 'difficult' to explain.
Reply 292
Original post by konvictz0007
i think another question comes...if you had a son, and he was gay, how would you feel about that as a parent?...

lol Think that is deserving of a new thread.

But for the record I would be fine with it. It is corny but as long as they are happy it doesn't matter to me :tongue:
Reply 293
Original post by Smophy
We have all ready had the "where did babies come from" argument and like I and other people said then it isn't that hard to explain about adoption. Plus there are lots of families who consist of one biological parent and then someone who takes the role of the other parent. Many children know this and if they don't it is surprisingly simple to explain to them.
But in a typical family, you have mum, dad and a child/children. Call me old fashioned, but that's how I see it. Again I'm not saying there's anything wrong with single parents or whatever, just that it's not usual. I still think it would be confusing for them to understand, I know I would have found it really weird trying to understand how someone could possibly not have a mother figure or a father figure. I still do tbh, and think how confusing it would be for the child of the gay parents.

I understand your rejection of the idea of it being normal as, by what I gather your definition to be, it isn't normal as it is not the majority. But to tell a child it is not normal but it is not wrong would be confusing. There is no harm in telling that it is normal because it is and because at the end of the day what harm will it do? Do you think that by telling them it is normal they may be more gays who would of otherwise been straight?

It's not even because it isn't the majority, it's because humans weren't originally designed to have same sex relationships. I don't think it would, there are plenty of things that are not normal but aren't wrong either. Maybe normal isn't the best word to be using. The harm it will do is lead to a bit of confusion, and it could underpin the values of the traditional family. No I don't as I believe it's not a choice it's something you are.
Reply 294
Original post by amizzle91
How is it difficult? If you teach them from the off that both homosexuality and heterosexuality are normal, then explaining both scenarios won't be difficult at all... it's only if you shelter a child from one or the other then it starts to become 'difficult' to explain.

But it isn't normal. It's not wrong, it's just different. It would be difficult simply because of the biological factors. How do you explain gay sex to a child for example? THAT would be utterly confusing, and best left until they were a lot older. Whereas hetrosexualality is easier as you can see that humans were meant to function that way.
Original post by .Ali.
But in a typical family, you have mum, dad and a child/children. Call me old fashioned, but that's how I see it. Again I'm not saying there's anything wrong with single parents or whatever, just that it's not usual.

What world do you live in :confused:
The "traditional" family is getting less and less "normal" as time carries on.
Surely you can see that, and to say that single parents are not usual is just naivety at its greatest.
Original post by .Ali.
But it isn't normal. It's not wrong, it's just different. It would be difficult simply because of the biological factors. How do you explain gay sex to a child for example? THAT would be utterly confusing, and best left until they were a lot older. Whereas hetrosexualality is easier as you can see that humans were meant to function that way.

But it is normal. Why can't you explain gay sex the same way you explain hetero sex?

They'd only think it was confusing and difficult if you made it out to be that way.
Original post by .Ali.

I just don't see how it's difficult :dontknow:
Reply 298
What world do you live in :confused:
The "traditional" family is getting less and less "normal" as time carries on.
Surely you can see that, and to say that single parents are not usual is just naivety at its greatest.

The same one as you. No it isn't. It may be in some areas, but it's not changing that much. Obviously there are more step parents and things now, but it honestly hasn't changed a lot. There's still more married families than single parents.
Reply 299
Original post by chemical_bex
I just don't see how it's difficult :dontknow:

Because they may have a hard time understanding the mental aspects of it as well.

Original post by amizzle91
But it is normal. Why can't you explain gay sex the same way you explain hetero sex?

They'd only think it was confusing and difficult if you made it out to be that way.

At an older age you could but at five it would be difficult, especially as you can't evenm use reproduction to help kids understand why. I'm not saying reproduction is the sole purpose of sex, it's not, just you don't want to be going into vast amounts of detail when the kids are young.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending