The Student Room Group

Trouble sleeping

Scroll to see replies

For the sleep, take the advice above.

As for your dreams, they mean nothing. Common concensus is that they are our way of reaffirming/reorganising memories. They mean nothing.

Anyone who tells you they do have some meaning are lying to you, as they cannot possibly know.
Original post by Alpharius
For the sleep, take the advice above.

As for your dreams, they mean nothing. Common concensus is that they are our way of reaffirming/reorganising memories. They mean nothing.

Anyone who tells you they do have some meaning are lying to you, as they cannot possibly know.

But surely dreams have some sort of psychological underpinning. What someone dreams about is a reflection of their state of mind right?
Original post by LaMusiqueEstMaVie
But surely dreams have some sort of psychological underpinning. What someone dreams about is a reflection of their state of mind right?

No. They are currently believed to be the brains way of reorganising memories that were brought on recently.

That is neuroscience. Not pseudo-science.

Your probably not the type who would read it, but there was a good NewScientist article on dreams recently (12 March, 2011 edition).
Reply 23
My mum bought Nytol instead. I don't think i'll need it tonight though cos I'm EXHAUSTED.

I think a lot of the problem seems to be that the more this is happening, the more you are worrying it will happen, and whilst worrying it's obviously not easy to sleep, so it is a vicious cycle.

I think you are doing the right thing with the Nytol. But if that doesn't help, I would go to the doctors (I know people have said that its a waste of time, but you may as well try) It sounds like an anxiety and stress related thing so maybe trying to get all that sorted out will help a lot.
The dreams are probably just you panicking about things as you sleep. I had horribly vivid dreams about a mate kissing me, so realistic that they upset me for days afterwards, but that was because I really liked him and thought about him before going to sleep. Moral: what you think about before going to sleep tends to impact what you dream about.

When I can't sleep, I just think of happy, calm memories, or plot a story in my head. It gives me something to concentrate on, so I don't get bored and do things to wake myself up more. Even if you don't get proper sleep in the night, you'll still feel more rested than if you actively try to be awake.
Reply 25

Alpharius is correct, your dreams mean nothing, it's just reorganising memories and sometimes memory consolidation.
No. They are currently believed to be the brains way of reorganising memories that were brought on recently.

but surely if your brain is sorting out the days events and memories and emotions via dreaming then an unsolved negative experience can bring on nightmares? For example if you have a problem you're trying to get over, say you're in a lot of debt, or you have a lot of essays due in in a week you've not even started on etc, your brain could dwell on those issues subconsciously?

Saying that though I had almost daily nightmares when I was 8-11. I was the victim of bullying for part of the time(not too bad in hindsight but obviously at the time it wasn't nice) so I'm not sure if it was related, though I wasn't bullied for that entire period so...hmm..disturbing dreams though especially considering I hadn't watched horror movies then.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by HaNzY
Alpharius is correct, your dreams mean nothing, it's just reorganising memories and sometimes memory consolidation.

I get told that an aweful lot these days...

Original post by joey11223
but surely if your brain is sorting out the days events and memories and emotions via dreaming then an unsolved negative experience can bring on nightmares?

Saying that though I had almost daily nightmares when I was 8-11. I was the victim of bullying for part of the time(not too bad in hindsight but obviously at the time it wasn't nice) so I'm not sure if it was related, though I wasn't bullied for that entire period so...hmm..disturbing dreams though especially considering I hadn't watched horror movies then.

Don't fret about them. I get nightmares regularly, nightmares are believed by some (not the entire scientific community) to be our brains way of mentally preparing us for danger.

We evolved on the African Savanna. Big cats, tall cliffs, ext. were constant dangers for our ancestors. Nightmares may be a way of simulating (safely) dangerous situations that we are naturally afraid of. It is not a prophecy of things to come, just mental conditioning.

Disclaimer: this field of science is still in its infancy. The concensus today may be different in the future.
Reply 28
I get told that an aweful lot these days...

Don't fret about them. I get nightmares regularly, nightmares are believed by some (not the entire scientific community) to be our brains way of mentally preparing us for danger.

We evolved on the African Savanna. Big cats, tall cliffs, ext. were constant dangers for our ancestors. Nightmares may be a way of simulating (safely) dangerous situations that we are naturally afraid of. It is not a prophecy of things to come, just mental conditioning.

Disclaimer: this field of science is still in its infancy. The concensus today may be different in the future.

Lol at disclaimer!

Yeah guys, we generally don't believe much of what Freud says anymore, he was a strange guy on an array of strange drugs :tongue: I wish dreams had some sort of meaning and whatever, there is so much I want to believe, but most of it has been in part disproved by science :frown:
Original post by HaNzY
Lol at disclaimer!

Yeah guys, we generally don't believe much of what Freud says anymore, he was a strange guy on an array of strange drugs :tongue: I wish dreams had some sort of meaning and whatever, there is so much I want to believe, but most of it has been in part disproved by science :frown:

Don't we all.

The disclaimer is very necessary. Neurology is really still in its infancy as a science, very interesting though. Until very recently, saying you'll be studying dreams was a career ender in science and neurology.
Reply 30
see a psychiatrist? These patterns and weird dreams are quite possibly because you are going through a hard time. I remember when I was revising for my science exams, and felt I was going to fail, and one of my dogs was being really annoying (barking, biting me in a playful way when i didn't want to play) and had a horrible dream that I am ashamed about. Don't worry, see a psychiatrist if you feel really worried, but just stay calm, get to bed early, talk to friends and family about your problems.

Everything shouold be fine, trust me :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by *twinkletoes*
Thats exactly the same as I had. When I went to the doctor when I had the very early stages of depression he told me I was ok and to come back if I thought I was going to kill myself (lol!) then I tried seeing a different doctor at my surgery and she was muuuch nicer and helpful. It might just be a case of seeing another doctor for you but I would give the Nytol a try first.

:eek: can't believe a doctor would be so dissmissive like that ... i would have complained. When I was 10 I started becoming ill and 5 doctors told me and my parents it was a cold and I was being over dramatic ... a week later I was in hospital with an illness that nearly killed me ... good doctors are hard to find lol

im having sleep issues and went to my doctor and he was super helpful, gave me loads of info to read about sleep disorders and sleep patters ... suggested i cut caffeine, alcohol etc. , do 1/2 hour intensive excercise 5 times a week, and the main thing was he said 'dont go to be bed until you know you will fall asleep'. He said most people make the mistake of going to bed at a set time rather than going when they will just drop right off. Then he siad to start establishing a time when i generally fall asleep and start going 15 mins before and then keep going like that until the problem is better.

Its working wonders.
Original post by musica_man
:eek: can't believe a doctor would be so dissmissive like that ... i would have complained. When I was 10 I started becoming ill and 5 doctors told me and my parents it was a cold and I was being over dramatic ... a week later I was in hospital with an illness that nearly killed me ... good doctors are hard to find lol

im having sleep issues and went to my doctor and he was super helpful, gave me loads of info to read about sleep disorders and sleep patters ... suggested i cut caffeine, alcohol etc. , do 1/2 hour intensive excercise 5 times a week, and the main thing was he said 'dont go to be bed until you know you will fall asleep'. He said most people make the mistake of going to bed at a set time rather than going when they will just drop right off. Then he siad to start establishing a time when i generally fall asleep and start going 15 mins before and then keep going like that until the problem is better.

Its working wonders.

The best advice so far in regards to sleep.
Reply 33
Lol @ all the people suggesting hot milk before bed, like it's some miracle cure to solve all problems.

I would say most peoples problems with sleeping arise from not being able to calm the mind. You may well be relaxed but that doesn't mean you don't have half a dozen thoughts going through your head. Try to remove all thoughts from your head, for me I find concentrating on my breathing works well, as does repeating a single phrase in my head. Don't sit there worrying about your lack of sleep either...

Think about doing some meditation as this is a very good way to relax your brain and remove concious thought processes.
(edited 13 years ago)

That is neuroscience. Not pseudo-science.

Your probably not the type who would read it, but there was a good NewScientist article on dreams recently (12 March, 2011 edition).

What makes you assume that I'm probably not the type to read the New Scientist? I don't usually read magazines but when I do it's far more likely to be the New Scientist or the Economist than Look or Heat. Just because I am not clued up about this area does not mean you can make assumptions about me.

That rant aside, I get your point, but in what way do the dreams I have described come from recent memories or experiences of mine? I have no experience with the Holocaust, nor evil/good creatures of the fantasy variety. Most of my dreams seem to be linked with my emotions rather than my experiences.
What makes you assume that I'm probably not the type to read the New Scientist? I don't usually read magazines but when I do it's far more likely to be the New Scientist or the Economist than Look or Heat. Just because I am not clued up about this area does not mean you can make assumptions about me.

That rant aside, I get your point, but in what way do the dreams I have described come from recent memories or experiences of mine? I have no experience with the Holocaust, nor evil/good creatures of the fantasy variety. Most of my dreams seem to be linked with my emotions rather than my experiences.

They do not have to be recent memories. I have just re-read the article.

I still think you are looking far too deeply into them. There is nothing supernatural about them. You may have seen something that cued a distant memory in your subconscious recently which triggered the idea of the Holocaust (as an example).

You would be surprised at what our brain picks up subconsciously, its how successful advertising works.

And apologies for the assumption. I meant nothing by it.
Stay away from screens (consoles, televisions, computers etc) at least 2 hours before bedtime. Have your last meal at least two hours before bedtime.

You can read in those two hours, do light exercise, and then maybe take a nice warm shower, put your pyjamas on and go to bed. Or tell a story out loud till you feel too tired and fall asleep.

If this doesn't work, perhaps you might want to consider sleeping pills, even if it is only for your exams?
Either way - worry not about your dreams -after all, they are not real. Perhaps try and see the "positive" side of them, such as, the awful things which are happening aren't real, so you could feel like you have experienced something dreadful but it not being the case. Or it is a good base for perhaps writing a story?

Either way, staying off the computer definitely helps. Try going to bed early every day. If you are accustomed to going to bed late, you will take longer to go to sleep, but if you keep it up you will slowly adjust. See if you can join some late-ish swimming lessons to tire you out before going to bed too. : )

That said, I have your same problem - but whenever I do any of these things it does actually work / help. :smile:
They do not have to be recent memories. I have just re-read the article.

I still think you are looking far too deeply into them. There is nothing supernatural about them. You may have seen something that cued a distant memory in your subconscious recently which triggered the idea of the Holocaust (as an example).

You would be surprised at what our brain picks up subconsciously, its how successful advertising works.

And apologies for the assumption. I meant nothing by it.

Apology accepted :smile:

Perhaps I'm looking too deeply into my dreams. I'm not suggesting that my dreams are anything supernatural at all! I'm merely wondering whether or not my dreams are symptomatic of depression/anxiety for example. I wonder about this a lot because, although I feel 'down' now and again (sometimes quite a lot actually), I have a quite a normal life - experiencing similar worries and stresses to other people my age. But what I'm most concerned about is my inability to fall asleep. That is what concerns me the most. The dreams I get over after a while, no matter how depressing or scary they are. The lack of sleep is proving far harder to deal with and I'm worried it's going to have a detrimental effect on my grades. I'm at a critical stage of my life at present (A levels) and I need full concentration. I'm missing a day of school as it is cos last time I went in with this little sleep I nearly fell down.
Original post by Journeyzap
Stay away from screens (consoles, televisions, computers etc) at least 2 hours before bedtime. Have your last meal at least two hours before bedtime.

You can read in those two hours, do light exercise, and then maybe take a nice warm shower, put your pyjamas on and go to bed. Or tell a story out loud till you feel too tired and fall asleep.

If this doesn't work, perhaps you might want to consider sleeping pills, even if it is only for your exams?
Either way - worry not about your dreams -after all, they are not real. Perhaps try and see the "positive" side of them, such as, the awful things which are happening aren't real, so you could feel like you have experienced something dreadful but it not being the case. Or it is a good base for perhaps writing a story?

Either way, staying off the computer definitely helps. Try going to bed early every day. If you are accustomed to going to bed late, you will take longer to go to sleep, but if you keep it up you will slowly adjust. See if you can join some late-ish swimming lessons to tire you out before going to bed too. : )

That said, I have your same problem - but whenever I do any of these things it does actually work / help. :smile:

Thanks for the tips. I have been trying some things but nothing seems to work. I have warm baths, a warm drink before bed, I read a historical biography before bed, I leave the computer off before dinner, etc. I think it's more about my state of mind. On days when I don't think about going to sleep I'm fine. When I worry all day about whether or not I'll be able to sleep I can't. It's just a vicious cycle - hopefully the Nytol will break it...
Apology accepted :smile:

Perhaps I'm looking too deeply into my dreams. I'm not suggesting that my dreams are anything supernatural at all! I'm merely wondering whether or not my dreams are symptomatic of depression/anxiety for example. I wonder about this a lot because, although I feel 'down' now and again (sometimes quite a lot actually), I have a quite a normal life - experiencing similar worries and stresses to other people my age. But what I'm most concerned about is my inability to fall asleep. That is what concerns me the most. The dreams I get over after a while, no matter how depressing or scary they are. The lack of sleep is proving far harder to deal with and I'm worried it's going to have a detrimental effect on my grades. I'm at a critical stage of my life at present (A levels) and I need full concentration. I'm missing a day of school as it is cos last time I went in with this little sleep I nearly fell down.

Follow musica_man's general advice on sorting out your lack of sleep. I don't think there is much evidence suggesting your dreams are symptoms of anything, they are natural.

The last thing anyone needs is to miss days off college through sleep depravation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending