The Student Room Group

Father fell out with me over the census...

My father is fully Irish; both my grandparents being Irish but I am only half because on my mother's side they are all Scottish.

Anyway, my dad is a nationalist but it can be to an annoying point occasionally; as he wants all these different things for the Irish community in Scotland in a time of cuts. He is actually the most influential person in my life and I'm probably closer to him than almost anyone else, but what happened yesterday was ridiculous:

He came over the visit me and I was filling in the census while he was there. There were two sections as y'all know, for national identity and then ethnic minority. I put 'Scottish' and then Irish at the 'other' bit at the bottom because I am half and half. When it came to ethnic minorities he asked that I tick 'Irish' rather than Scottish - and that showing that there is a large Irish community in Scotland will make the government more likely to agree to putting time and money into Irish resources(all very flak, i.e. what resources exactly, and again, what I said about cuts^).

Now, I feel a stronger sense of Scottish identity and was thinking in one hundred years if some ancestor is doing some family history research will see I've put 'Irish'; which wouldn't be correct. So I ticked 'Scottish', at which point he lost all rationality(he's usually v. rational), saying he's 'very disappointed' and my grandmother would be 'disgusted' if she were alive!

I mean, someone tell me he's behaved completely out of order here and I've not done anything wrong? In the nineteen years of my life I can honestly say we've never had such a fight and I'm miserable over this. He has now apologised but said he should've done more to 'instill a stronger sense of Irish identity'(!!)

I see my dad all the time and we never, ever fight over this, let alone discuss it really.

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps he's having a mini identity crisis?
Reply 2
Original post by mikeyd85
Perhaps he's having a mini identity crisis?

It was like some invisible presence had swept in and replaced him with this unnrational version of my father.

I am struggling to see why I need it further instilled in me. How far we talking?
Reply 3
Stupidest thing to fall out over.

Then again I can't talk.

First time my mum kicked me out the house was because I tried to help her with the remote control. :lolwut:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
The Census is largely about your own perception of yourself and your life. You were correct in ticking the box you feel applied to you most accurately.
Reply 5
He obv hadn't eaten his spuds.
Reply 6
Original post by Yawn11

Then I can't talk.

First time my mum kicked me out the house was because I tried to help her with he remote control. :lolwut:

Lmao! This made me laugh...which I haven't done all day. So thanks :smile: And yeah, I know but he takes it really seriously because it's a 'huge part' of who he is. But he cannot expect me to be a smaller version of himself.
Reply 7
Original post by accesstohe

The famine, perhaps :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous

Lmao! This made me laugh...which I haven't done all day. So thanks :smile: And yeah, I know but he takes it really seriously because it's a 'huge part' of who he is. But he cannot expect me to be a smaller version of himself.

You've answered the issue you raised for yourself.

Ignore what he wants, your section of the census, your desicion.

I had a falling out with my mother over the census, but that was due to religion. I thought that was what this would be about when I read the title :tongue:
Reply 9
My father is fully Irish; both my grandparents being Irish but I am only half because on my mother's side they are all Scottish.

Anyway, my dad is a nationalist but it can be to an annoying point occasionally; as he wants all these different things for the Irish community in Scotland in a time of cuts. He is actually the most influential person in my life and I'm probably closer to him than almost anyone else, but what happened yesterday was ridiculous:

He came over the visit me and I was filling in the census while he was there. There were two sections as y'all know, for national identity and then ethnic minority. I put 'Scottish' and then Irish at the 'other' bit at the bottom because I am half and half. When it came to ethnic minorities he asked that I tick 'Irish' rather than Scottish - and that showing that there is a large Irish community in Scotland will make the government more likely to agree to putting time and money into Irish resources(all very flak, i.e. what resources exactly, and again, what I said about cuts^).

Now, I feel a stronger sense of Scottish identity and was thinking in one hundred years if some ancestor is doing some family history research will see I've put 'Irish'; which wouldn't be correct. So I ticked 'Scottish', at which point he lost all rationality(he's usually v. rational), saying he's 'very disappointed' and my grandmother would be 'disgusted' if she were alive!

I mean, someone tell me he's behaved completely out of order here and I've not done anything wrong? In the nineteen years of my life I can honestly say we've never had such a fight and I'm miserable over this. He has now apologised but said he should've done more to 'instill a stronger sense of Irish identity'(!!)

I see my dad all the time and we never, ever fight over this, let alone discuss it really.

Well I would like to think my son would consider himself Irish if I have one but live somewhere else. But at the end of the day it is your choice. Tell him your more of a James Connolly than a Patrick Pearse.
Original post by accesstohe

Likely because there was a famine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by thewiseone
Likely because there was a famine.

:facepalm: thats the joke....
Reply 12
At least you didn't get freaked at because you wanted to put 'Sith Lord' as your religion... :smile:
Reply 13

If he wants to be Irish, then tell him to **** off back to Ireland.
Reply 14
x

You are born in Scotland, you are Scottish.

Don't get involved with all the rubbish we get about pretending to be Irish or whatever. You're born and bred in this nation, not Ireland.
Reply 15
Original post by Yawn11

Then again I can't talk.

First time my mum kicked me out the house was because I tried to help her with the remote control. :lolwut:

Wtf - what happened exactly ? :p:
Reply 16
I think I put mine in the bin....
Reply 17
Original post by rylit91
If he wants to be Irish, then tell him to **** off back to Ireland.

Oi you why dont you **** back to where you came from :smile:

Your dads just your dad everyone has their opinion, You fill out the nationality you feel you are it makes no difference its a piece of paper..

Id tell him that, its pointless to argue you are what you are and he has no say...

@schumacher - I wish more people read that :biggrin:
does the census ask you for your identity?

or does the census ask you to state what your father thinks your identity ought to be?
Original post by Schumacher
You are born in Scotland, you are Scottish.

Don't get involved with all the rubbish we get about pretending to be Irish or whatever. You're born and bred in this nation, not Ireland.

Born and raised isn't the same as born and bred

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending