The Student Room Group

POLL: Deep down, no parent wants their kid to be gay.

Poll

What will the sexual orientation of your child be?

Further to this previous thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1587488

At the moment of conception of your first child, you are presenting with a solid box with two buttons on it. Pressing one will ensure that the child you conceive will turn out to be straight, and pressing the other with ensure that it will be gay.

Which button do you choose?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know you're trying to prove to yourself that "no parent wants their kid to be gay" but it's a bit of a poorly constructed test? The probability of being gay is relatively low, but it seems that if someone's kid did happen to be gay, most people would eventually accept it. That doesn't mean they actively want their kid to be gay, or actively want their kid to be straight.
Reply 2
Original post by n1r4v
I know you're trying to prove to yourself that "no parent wants their kid to be gay" but it's a bit of a poorly constructed test? The probability of being gay is relatively low, but it seems that if someone's kid did happen to be gay, most people would eventually accept it. That doesn't mean they actively want their kid to be gay, or actively want their kid to be straight.

Congratulations on spectacularly missing the point.
Reply 3
Original post by n1r4v

Agreed, its not a very fair poll. I wouldn't want to choose, nor would i want to 'toss a coin'.
Reply 4
Bi-parents? Bi-winning.
Original post by T'archer
Bi-parents? Bi-winning.

This thread is now about charlie sheen

Of course they don't. It's unnatural.

As someone who wants children in the future, i'd be devastated if my child was gay, I want grandchildren! Women and men are the way they are for a reason, it's foul.

I'd pick straight every time.
Original post by xarcul

I'd say straight, because they will be saved from homophobic bullying etc., and they could have children (naturally). But that doesn't mean you wouldn't accept a child who was gay. It's like asking, would you rather your child was disabled or not, if your child was a goth or not. You'd probably want them to be as "normal" as possible to save them from pain but you'd still accept them if they were 'different'.
Well obviously everybody would choose straight because it would mean your child will face less prejudice and discrimination during their life. It'll generally make their life easier, and I'm saying that as a gay person I would probably choose straight.

You do realize that that proves practically nothing though, only that nobody would choose a more difficult life for their child than necessary.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
A good parent will simply want their child to be happy (whether gay or not!)
Reply 10
Original post by SparksInTheSky
I'd say straight, because they will be saved from homophobic bullying etc., and they could have children (naturally). But that doesn't mean you wouldn't accept a child who was gay. It's like asking, would you rather your child was disabled or not, if your child was a goth or not. You'd probably want them to be as "normal" as possible to save them from pain but you'd still accept them if they were 'different'.

What you've done there, is you've compared homosexuality to a disability.
Gay parents might want their child to be gay, or you just might have a parent that wants you to be gay (Can't think why they'd want you to be gay or straight specifically, either way I'd still love my children)... it's not really something you can say for definite either way.
I wouldn't want my child to be gay, but I'd be ok with it if they were.
Silly thread, it's not a 50/50 chance of straight or gay, more like 97/3?. And how can you decide the orientation of your child. The OP has some serious issues.
straight, i'm not homophobic but like i said in the other thread i wouldn't put my child purposfully through all the predjudice, discrimination, teasing, stress/fear of coming out, difficulty finding a partner etc. i know a lot of people who say "i wish i was straight" but never "i wish i was gay" (except jokingly)

i just couldn't do it.
Original post by Mr Disco
What you've done there, is you've compared homosexuality to a disability.

It's still a good analogy because if you're either one, it'll inevitably make your life more difficult. Obviously they weren't saying that being gay is a disability, but in the context of the question asked it's a fairly sound analogy.
Reply 16
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
It's still a good analogy because if you're either one, it'll inevitably make your life more difficult. Obviously they weren't saying that being gay is a disability, but in the context of the question asked it's a fairly sound analogy.

The analogy only works if you consider homosexuality to be an imposition, as opposed to a choice.

That, I think, is far from clear.
Original post by Mr Disco
The analogy only works if you consider homosexuality to be an imposition, as opposed to a choice.

That, I think, is far from clear.

I'm not going to get into this debate again, but it's pretty clear that it isn't a choice.
Reply 18
Original post by bognor-regis
Silly thread, it's not a 50/50 chance of straight or gay, more like 97/3?. And how can you decide the orientation of your child. The OP has some serious issues.

So are you saying that you would choose the fourth option of randomly selecting their sexual orientation with a 97% chance of them being straight? Not any less? So you would prefer it to have a great chance of having straight children?

Secondly, go look up the definition of the word 'hypothetical', you f*cktard.
Did I not say in another thread that I could care less if my kid was gay?

What does picking a choice have to with not giving a crap about their sexuality.

Quick Reply

Latest