What are the actual STUDENTS like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hej Richarda - jeg bor i danmark. :biggrin:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 61
Original post by likeastar--x
At the risk of sounding incredibly shallow, I need to ask this as its important for my Uni experience. What are the students at Aberystwyth like?

Fair enough theres no clubs there etc, I can live with that. But only if the PEOPLE are FUN.

... Who don't wear nice clothes or makeup? I'm a city girl, London actually, and I don't know how easy it would be for me to adjust.

I spent a month in the French countryside, and they all lacked effort in the appearance department and wore rain macks. I don't know that much about the countryside apart from this.

Also if i'm entirely wrong about the welly-wearing part, don't laugh at me - im new to this! :smile:

lol are all London people like that? Were all humans at the end of the day, whatever clothes or makeup we wear.

Wow, now I think I understand why city people are so different :smile:
hum, accomodation question here.. is it okay to smoke in your own room, or maybe in the toilet?
Reply 63
No and no - unless you meddle with the firealarm, it will go off.

The fire alarm in the kitchen doesn't react to smoke. That being said, it's still against your accommodation contract and you could be fined/kicked out. Most people don't smoke in the kitchens because it would be unfair to their flatmates - for instance, there are two smokers out of ten people in my flat. It would be unfair on the nonsmokers if they decided to smoke in the kitchen.
Original post by HayThereMardyBum
hum, accomodation question here.. is it okay to smoke in your own room, or maybe in the toilet?

No, you are not allowed to smoke inside any university building. Halls are fitted with smoke detectors, and if caught, you will be fined. A series of fines can lead to you being removed from halls.
Reply 65
If you do meddle with your fire alarm and are caught, I think it's seen as a criminal offence if I recall. Also it's pretty rude to the other flatmates who don't want to live with people who smoke in their rooms/toilets. Last year it was bad enough having to walk past the smoker's at the door to the block...
Original post by HayThereMardyBum

You're not really supposed to but we let our flatmates smoke out of the kitchen window, though we are right at the top of a block of flats off campus so nobody's ever checking on us.

And seeing as nobody has actually answered the talent question, I think the guys here are either completely not your type, the most beautiful things you've ever seen or the best friends you'll ever make. There is an abundance of strong jawed tall men with abs and arms of steel :biggrin: , but there are also a lot of skulky lanky greasy guys. You will inevitably get landed with one of these in halls, but it's usually ok because they don't come out of their rooms. One thing I will say though, most of the second and third year guys will jump on any fresher girl going :s-smilie: . If that's the kind of thing you're looking for, then aber will not disappoint.
Reply 67
Original post by Æbbie
I don't care if you're new to this, I'm laughing. Sorry.

Yes, of course the whole of the University population is wearing wellies. Yes, of course, there are no clubs. Yes, of course, no one is fun. Yes, of course, no one likes nice clothes or makeup. Need I go on?

Don't come here. Clearly not your kind of place.

100% pure Win.
Reply 68
Original post by leemyster
lol are all London people like that? Were all humans at the end of the day, whatever clothes or makeup we wear.

Wow, now I think I understand why city people are so different :smile:

To be fair, the city lifestyle is generally more sophisticated insofar as the amenities and concentration of people encourage a different lifestyle.

Of course, here in Ireland, people make statements like the first post if they are affluent, i.e. spend daddys money on the high street when he's off working in finance (this in fact is the very group that destroyed our economy fyi). So it's a bit off to say city people when the majority of people everywhere are vain trend-followers.

I'm just praying that there's room for Polo shirts and Leinster Rugby tops at Aber :colondollar:
Reply 69
Original post by smeggins

I'm just praying that there's room for Polo shirts and Leinster Rugby tops at Aber :colondollar:

Oh theres plenty of those :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by JordE
Oh theres plenty of those :biggrin:

That's a relief.
To be fair, the city lifestyle is generally more sophisticated insofar as the amenities and concentration of people encourage a different lifestyle.

Of course, here in Ireland, people make statements like the first post if they are affluent, i.e. spend daddys money on the high street when he's off working in finance (this in fact is the very group that destroyed our economy fyi). So it's a bit off to say city people when the majority of people everywhere are vain trend-followers.

well, i'm applying to aber and im also from london. i kind of feel the same way about it, as do all my friends who are applying there.
its about interests, isnt it? city people have grown up not giving a **** about crops or farming or wellies lol, wheras people in the country dont seem to care for fashion, appearance...in a more broad way this could also include country people not having an interest in finance or politics, depending on how out-of-touch the country area is.

its a generalised statement, yes, but lets be honest here. from what i've seen no-one is arguing with this idea. would you like to go to a uni if you thought you'd have nothing in common with the people you meet?
why does this have anything to do with affluence? i would say city people are just more in touch with the rest of the world, and not living in a bubble...even if i dont want to start an argument about country vs city, i'm just pointing out that its a fair enough question.
Reply 72
I completely understand where you're coming from, the size of Dublin and London relative to the other cities in their respective countries is quite similar so I like yourself have had daily access to many great things that other Irish people haven't. It is true that in general 'country' people have differing interests and if I'm honest are less Liberal by and large than people in Dublin but that is not to say that they are out of touch or altogether different as people are people, you can find common ground with nearly anybody if you're outgoing and make an effort. Besides, many people in Aber won't be welsh or from the countryside.

I wasn't referring to your attitude as stemming from affluence, but here the 'cultured' and fashionista touting people are generally from our version of Chelsea or some such area of London. I'm a guy an not 'in to' fashion, but I do like to be fashionable to a point, to look nice and feel nice about how I look, most people are the same. I can empathise with you that you are worried that Aber will be void of any people of similar interests. At the end of the day, you are lucky to have been raised in one of the worlds 'great' cities (I don't care for London but that's just me) and that you're going to school at an international university in wales, not Somalia.

It won't be as bad as you fear, and if it is, I'll go to Next with you :biggrin:
Reply 73
I would presume that the majority or at least 50% of aber's student population would be from cities. People from rural areas are probably wanting to have a change of lifestyle and move to universities in big cities. The fact that Aber is quite secluded for me isn't going to be a problem, I would prefer to share a night out in a town full of students then in a city with chavs etc. As long as students at Aber Uni are up for a good time then I don't see any difference whether it is in the city or the country.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 74
In my flat there's:
One from London
One from B'ham
One from Welshpool
One from somewhere in Bulgaria
One from Brussels
Me, from Copenhagen these days
One from a town in Lancaster
One from China, somewhere. Haven't actually spoken to him yet, at all...
One from Wrexham

Pretty mixed geographically.

It won't be as bad as you fear, and if it is, I'll go to Next with you :biggrin:

Also, think of it as an insane advantage that shops in Aber aren't amazing, because if they were I know for sure my money wouldn't last long (it'll probably go on beer instead, but i'd get more out of the beer than the clothes... :s-smilie:) but a trip to Cardiff every now and again wouldnt go amiss...

Original post by informal
I would presume that the majority or at least 50% of aber's student population would be from cities. People from rural areas are probably wanting to have a change of lifestyle and move to universities in big cities. The fact that Aber is quite secluded for me isn't going to be a problem, I would prefer to share a night out in a town full of students then in a city with chavs etc. As long as students at Aber Uni are up for a good time then I don't see any difference whether it is in the city or the country.

This is why i'm going Aber, I just fancy a change in scenery and city living's not all it's cracked up to be, it's expensive, demanding and everyone has expectations of who they want you to be, and there can't be too many idiots(chavs) in a town where half the population are students, there simply can't..

Original post by Charlieeeeee
well, i'm applying to aber and im also from london. i kind of feel the same way about it, as do all my friends who are applying there.
its about interests, isnt it? city people have grown up not giving a **** about crops or farming or wellies lol, wheras people in the country dont seem to care for fashion, appearance...in a more broad way this could also include country people not having an interest in finance or politics, depending on how out-of-touch the country area is.

its a generalised statement, yes, but lets be honest here. from what i've seen no-one is arguing with this idea. would you like to go to a uni if you thought you'd have nothing in common with the people you meet?
why does this have anything to do with affluence? i would say city people are just more in touch with the rest of the world, and not living in a bubble...even if i dont want to start an argument about country vs city, i'm just pointing out that its a fair enough question.

this is what i'm scared of, lets be friends?
Original post by dodgymonkey
this is what i'm scared of, lets be friends?

hahaha, where r u from then? :smile:
Original post by Charlieeeeee
hahaha, where r u from then? :smile:

i'll pm you!
Reply 78
I come from a village a very small distance from Gloucester and Cheltenham, so when I came to Aber the smaller numbers of clubs was abit of a shock. It's not like bigger cities where there will be a club suited to your specific tastes, most nights have quite mainstream music.

That said when I got used to that I've really started to enjoy myself. You won't get bored if you make the right friends (and lots of them).
Reply 79
I can understand why you might be worried- going to University is a big thing and not knowing the kind of people you're going to meet can be terrifying for some people, especially if you're going somewhere where you don't know anyone. Alternatively I can understand why some people on here are so irritated by your posts.

I'm about to go into my final year at Aberystwyth, and although I'm originally from about 85 miles away, in North Wales, it's completely different, and an amazing place to study and live. Almost every single person I've come into contact with over the last two years has been lovely, students and staff alike. My two closest friends who I'm living with this year are both from Birmingham and they love the place, and none of us can wait to get back for our last year.

I also know this applies to other people I know, including people from the valleys down in South Wales and other people from London! It's a diverse place to live with people interested in things other than fantasy war play and that kind of thing. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest