The Student Room Group

Engineering

Hi guys,

If you've read my other post in 'Carton Manufactoring and the Printing Industry' you'd see that i'm wanting a new challange and a new career.

I'm 26 and very career minded and unfortunatly the printing industry just isn't what it was (im sure you can say that about most industry') so i've decided i would like to train in engineering - hopefully to build a good life time career.

I have a few questions for the engineers on TSM - Please don't shoot me down, im not a 'troll' whatever that is, i am genuine and i need of advice from the people in the sector.

So here goes... :-)

At 26 am i too old to be an apprentice?
I like to fix things - is mechanical right for me?
I work better in stressful enviroments - would nuclear / chemical and oil engineering be good for me?
I would like to keep working - are the distance learning courses worth my money?

Could someone give me a brief rundown on types of engineering and what is needed in terms of qualifications to do said jobs? (or a link would be great)

Your help would be brilliant

Kind Regards
Lee
If you want to know whether you're too old for an apprenticeship, ask the people who are recruiting apprentices yourself, as only they can give the correct answer.

If you like to fix things, an apprenticeship is the way to go. Apprenticeships aren't classed into different disciplines like degrees, though. There aren't really "mechanical engineering apprenticeships" and "civil engineering apprenticeships" - they are generally very job specific (hence why the learning is done on the job) and you will be taught whatever it takes for you to do the job. If it's fixing things, then I'd imagine there'd be a fair amount of electrical work, too.

If you like stressful working environments, the oil industry is definitely for you.

I don't really know about distance learning, sorry.
Original post by Smack
If you want to know whether you're too old for an apprenticeship, ask the people who are recruiting apprentices yourself, as only they can give the correct answer.

If you like to fix things, an apprenticeship is the way to go. Apprenticeships aren't classed into different disciplines like degrees, though. There aren't really "mechanical engineering apprenticeships" and "civil engineering apprenticeships" - they are generally very job specific (hence why the learning is done on the job) and you will be taught whatever it takes for you to do the job. If it's fixing things, then I'd imagine there'd be a fair amount of electrical work, too.

If you like stressful working environments, the oil industry is definitely for you.

I don't really know about distance learning, sorry.

Thanks for your reply, Smack

I guess it's choosing the correct path to take - To the left is a 'general' apprenticeship, and to the right is a specific degree.

I shall have a more indepth look at the oil industry :-)

PS: What does Nuclear engineering come under in terms of subject? IE Chemical etc...

Thanks
Lee
Original post by Lee R
Thanks for your reply, Smack

I guess it's choosing the correct path to take - To the left is a 'general' apprenticeship, and to the right is a specific degree.

I shall have a more indepth look at the oil industry :-)

PS: What does Nuclear engineering come under in terms of subject? IE Chemical etc...

Thanks
Lee

Electrical, mechanical, civil and chemical engineers will all be working in the design, construction, operation and maintenance of nuclear plants.
Original post by Smack
Electrical, mechanical, civil and chemical engineers will all be working in the design, construction, operation and maintenance of nuclear plants.

Thanks Smack

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending