The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Marriage is no longer necessary.
Original post by RightSaidJames
I appreciate what you are trying to do, but the point of H&R is that people can ask for advice about their specific problem. If they wanted general, impersonal and non-specific advice then there's much better and more reliable places to get it (e.g. the Wiki, other websites...).

Yep, but are they out looking for it?? Nope.
They are here on TSR moaning about their problems, so I don't see that it's a bad thing I'm trying to break the boring old blend of the same old issues, which I personally don't see as a bad thing :biggrin:
Besides, it's a free world is it not?? If I'd like to make a little attempt at making someone feel better, then what's there to say I'm wrong for doing so?? :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
Right TSR,

I am fed up. I have been trying to make threads aimed at helping ppl who perhaps may need advice - but, for some bizarre reason, they have crashed and burned :rolleyes:
I did post this previously whilst in a terrible mood, and I posted it as Anon just to irritate ppl - To be honest, I don't care if ppl dont like my attempt to help others, it's only an internet forum after all!! :tongue:

Therefore, I am making a thread aimed at tackling issues, as opposed to avoiding them.
Let's hope my straight-talking, to-the-point style of writing will be more popular than my cheery, up-beat style of writing.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED: I use a lot of smilies. I write a lot. I do not stand for disrespect. I will argue my point
DO NOT respond to this thread if you deem it unhelpful - you ARE NOT obliged to read this thread, therefore you ARE NOT obliged to reply to it. :smile:

Now that we're clear, let's begin, shall we :cool:

"I am single, lonely and fed up of not having a partner"

* If this is you, get over yourself. Life does not hinge upon whether you are attached or not. Get a hobby and live your life - likelihood is, the right person will come along when you least expect them to :wink:
* Of course, you're lonely, so sort it out. There's no use complaining, claiming Life isn't fair blah blah blah. If you are in desperate need of a partner, either get out there and meet ppl (which is the best way to do so) or, put your typing skills to good use and join some sort of 'dating website' (if you are over 18).
* Hint: ensure you maintain good personal hygiene, always use good manners and dress smartly - even those deemed as 'ugly' can be attractive to someone should they maintain such attributes :smile:

"I'm X years old and am still a virgin, what should I do??"

* You do not want to start being promiscuous. It generates STIs and unplanned pregnancies - even the most cautious of couples can fall short - beware.
* Saving yourself for Marriage is the best way to go. Losing your virginity to a complete stranger or someone you simply find attractive just to get brownie points with your friendship group is, quite frankly, pathetic. Though I'm sure I'll get opposition to this from insecure ppl claiming they're totally right :rolleyes:
* There is this magical thing call will power, use it. You may think me patronising for making out ppl who have sex outside of Marriage are wrong, but they are. Not only wrong, but selfish - the possibility of creating a new life and then teaching them the wrong way of acting in life is disgusting.
* Having morals is also exceedingly attractive, especially when you reach maturity :wink:

"I am so depressed, I don't know what to do!!"

* Get a hobby. Make some friends. Make something of yourself.
* Do Charity work, give yourself self-worth, work hard to achieve your goals. :smile:
* If Life hands you lemons, demand tequila and salt - make the most of the good times and relish them throughout the bad. Keep in mind good times to come and think positively :smile:
* If nothing helps you get out of a cycle of depression, see your GP or a Counsellor - there's no need for depression when there's so many good things to enjoy in Life!!
* DO NOT result to drinking, self-harming or drugs - they will only make the cycle worse and lead to further depression, exercise will power!!

"I think X likes me, and I do like X, I don't know whether or not to ask them out"

* If they're not seeing someone, and they are compatible to you, don't waste time, ask them out. Likelihood is, they'll be flattered you asked!!
* A simple, 'I'm going to the Cinema this weekend, but I don't know what to see, have you any ideas??' - then say 'Oh yeah, that's a great idea, why don't you join me??' or something along those lines. :tongue:
* Failing that, if you don't know them well, facebook them!! Who cares if they think you're odd or whatever (though likelihood is they wont), Life is too short to hang around for ppl.
* DO NOT get emotionally involved with game players. The minute someone seems to be messing you about, no matter how hard you think it may be, run as far as you can - don't look back. I've learnt this from bitter experience :s-smilie:

"I have X health issue, what to do??"

* See a GP!! Nobody on TSR will even know you, therefore, if in doubt, call the Doctor out!!

"How do I get over someone I loved so much??"

* I'm not gonna lie to you, it hurts.
* However, it's part of life.
* The best way to get over someone is to not talk to them so often, not at all if possible, and to focus your attention and energy on something/someone else. Throw yourself into Uni/College Work or get really into a hobby you enjoy - do not let someone who treated you badly make you feel badly about yourself, you don't deserve that!! :smile:

"I hate myself."

* Have a bath, change your style and get on with life.
* You ARE NOT the only person on the planet - deal.with.it.
* If you hate yourself, go do volunteer work and help others, that's guaranteed to help someone else and gain you self-worth @ the same time
* Throw yourself into a hobby/interest, or find a new one - don't waste time, life is too short :smile:

Well, hope that's covered the majority of issues that crop up on TSR H&R Forum, All the Best - Remember, Life is for Living :wink:

tl:dr
Dear TSR, man the **** up.
Original post by py0alb
It's a shame your advice is so ****ing **** then.

Did I ask for your opinion?? No.
Did someone force you to read this?? No.
Did someone force me to make a thread that perhaps may give TSRers a different topic to read as opposed to the same boring old posts that are found on here?? No.
Have I had the response intended?? Yep.
Original post by wactm
tl:dr
Dear TSR, man the **** up.

Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Lewroll
Marriage is no longer necessary.

Apparently neither is self-respect :rolleyes:
Yep, but are they out looking for it?? Nope.
They are here on TSR moaning about their problems, so I don't see that it's a bad thing I'm trying to break the boring old blend of the same old issues, which I personally don't see as a bad thing :biggrin:
Besides, it's a free world is it not?? If I'd like to make a little attempt at making someone feel better, then what's there to say I'm wrong for doing so?? :smile:

Who's to say that they've gone looking for general advice, found it, but decided it's not good enough so therefore posted their own thread? Granted, not everyone does that, but the point of a forum is for people to make threads.
Right TSR,

Hello

"I'm X years old and am still a virgin, what should I do??"

* You do not want to start being promiscuous. It generates STIs and unplanned pregnancies - even the most cautious of couples can fall short - beware.
* Saving yourself for Marriage is the best way to go. Losing your virginity to a complete stranger or someone you simply find attractive just to get brownie points with your friendship group is, quite frankly, pathetic. Though I'm sure I'll get opposition to this from insecure ppl claiming they're totally right :rolleyes:
* There is this magical thing call will power, use it. You may think me patronising for making out ppl who have sex outside of Marriage are wrong, but they are. Not only wrong, but selfish - the possibility of creating a new life and then teaching them the wrong way of acting in life is disgusting.

You were doing OK up to here. Having sex =/= promiscuity. Having sex =/= earning brownie points with your friendship group. Ever thought that a lot of people have sex because they are in loving relationships and want to? Contraception is effective enough that your selfishness argument holds no water.

"I have X health issue, what to do??"

* See a GP!! Nobody on TSR will even know you, therefore, if in doubt, call the Doctor out!!

I don't think anyone thinks TSR can offer professional advice, but TSR is much more convenient than seeing a GP for a quick harmless concern.

The rest of this isn't bad.

I see you are one of those antiquated people who think that you only have self respect if you are married. Marriage is no longer necessary and its absurd to think that people should 'wait for marriage' before having sex. Of course if thats your personal opinion then you are welcome to it, but don't act as if it somehow makes you superior.
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
No point. We've had threads exactly like this before, with everyone in it agreeing and saying that it should be stickied; yet people still create threads. People will always want their own thread rather than just look at someone else's, so it's more personal to their particular situation. I can guarantee that people will still make the same threads that we're complaining about here, whether or not this thread exists or is stickied.

Which is very true :smile:
Why is it seen as so wrong to make a thread that bucks the trend of all those boring, moany threads that are found on TSR's H&R Forum??

And this is why threads like this don't work. One person can't give the answers to all the problems because they are inherently biased.

Which is very true :smile:
Why is it seen as so wrong to make a thread that bucks the trend of all those boring, moany threads that are found on TSR's H&R Forum??

Because the people who take the time to offer their own personal advice may find it offensive for someone to come along claiming to have definitively solved all of the problems. To take your own argument and throw it back at you; no one forces you to read the "boring, moany threads"; if you wanted to you could just read the interesting, non-moany ones.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lewroll
I see you are one of those antiquated people who think that you only have self respect if you are married. Marriage is no longer necessary and its absurd to think that people should 'wait for marriage' before having sex. Of course if thats your personal opinion then you are welcome to it, but don't act as if it somehow makes you superior.

Of course it doesn't make me superior - more sensible, yes - and neither did I imply that :rolleyes:

Self-respect goes further than being married - it's a shame very few ppl exercise it :smile:
Reply 32
Did I ask for your opinion?? No.
Did someone force you to read this?? No.
Did someone force me to make a thread that perhaps may give TSRers a different topic to read as opposed to the same boring old posts that are found on here?? No.
Have I had the response intended?? Yep.

Well that's too bad, because I'm giving you it. Your topic is even more boring than the usual thread, and your alleged "advice" is dangerously substandard. I just thought you should know that before you get the idea that anyone here approves of your work. Its a shame you wasted all that time typing out a load of drivel, but hey, that's life.
These threads are pointless.

1. Most general information is in the wiki, or elsewhere on the internet.
2. This thread does not answer specific, individual problems so people who want specific answers will still make their own threads.
3. Your answers will always be coloured by your perspective on a situation.
4. People like making their own threads in the hope of getting several responses.
Original post by RightSaidJames
And this is why threads like this don't work. One person can't give the answers to all the problems because they are inherently biased.

Because the people who take the time to offer their own personal advice may find it offensive for someone to come along claiming to have solved all the problems. To take your own argument and throw it back at you; no one forces you to read the "boring, moany threads"; if you wanted to you could just read the interesting, non-moany ones.

I see your point but complaining about ppl trying to help others does not make you any more or less right than me :smile:
Who cares if it's inherently biased, or if some ppl dont like it - it's interesting, it's created discussion, therefore it has been a success :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by Oranges
Finally. Lets hope people will actually read this thread, take the advice and stop making pointless, annoying, threads in H&R. Not saying they all are, just some.

Finally? This has been done many times.
Reply 36
I swear I've seen a thread like this before...:hmmm:

Advice to you - come up with something original
Original post by py0alb
Well that's too bad, because I'm giving you it. Your topic is even more boring than the usual thread, and your alleged "advice" is dangerously substandard. I just thought you should know that before you get the idea that anyone here approves of your work. Its a shame you wasted all that time typing out a load of drivel, but hey, that's life.

I wasted no time typing it, actually :wink:
Of course it is, because you are the one and only person reading this thread, therefore you are the one and only person whose viewpoint is valid :rolleyes:
You're actually responsible for making it successful. Discussion makes for an interesting read, thanks!! :biggrin:
Original post by aeterno
I swear I've seen a thread like this before...:hmmm:

Advice to you - come up with something original

As I mentioned, I have done this before!! :tongue: lol.
Reply 39
As I mentioned, I have done this before!! :tongue: lol.

If it didn't work then, it's not going to work now.

Latest

Trending

Trending