The Student Room Group

Considering dropping an AS subject.. last-minute

I cannot cope any more. My History modules (Civil Rights, The Cold War & British Political History) are simply not interesting, and the 3 page essays I am set every week pull my performance down in other subjects (Economics, English Lit & Politics). I am predicted AAAB (B for History) but having just looked at my planner where I'm behind with four other essays and my report all because of this one subject.. I can forget about even getting a C for any of them. I really WANT to drop it but am worried about the consequences. Currently got Law on my mind for uni. Any advice?

Btw. I don't understand how I got A*- B's in my GCSE's. What the hell happened?

EDIT:I am fluent in Dutch as I was born and raised there. What if I take the exam for it next year in order to make up for the missing 4th subject?
(edited 13 years ago)
Which British political is it?
Just carry on until the end of the year and drop it then - from my understanding, there are no specific prerequisites for Law - just good grades in respectable subjects.

You don't need History.

As for the essays, go to the shop, buy 3 jars of coffee and pull a couple of all-nighters.
Reply 3
I would stick with it now, to be honest.
4 AS levels are the norm for most people who apply to uni, and you will be in competition with other peple.
Plus, you've done all the work this far and a B is a very respectable grade!
I almost gave up on History right before my AS exam as well :/
It is a really harsh subject but I also found it really interesting which is why I'm glad I carried on with it.
I didn't put as much effort into the exams and ended up with a C, convinced I would drop it at A2 and I did but after about 4 weeks I dropped Biology at A2 and went back to History which I'm actually glad I did.

Just try your best and don't drop it this late. There's not long until exams now and you will feel better if you carry on and just try your best in everything trust me :smile:
Reply 5
It seems logical to me to have 3 A's on my UCAS rather than 3 average and a s*** one.

@Chinaberry: British Political History, 1945-90: Consensus and Conflict
@Music2love: Problem is, I am nowhere near a B right now. Think.. D.
(edited 13 years ago)
Personally I would stick with it and if you feel it's dragging your subjects down then don't do the essays. You've come this far, you might as well give it a shot. However I dropped an AS last year and I am so relieved I did, I didn't understand it and I hated the lessons. However if it's not understanding you're finding hard then stick at it but if you want to drop it, it's your choice.
Reply 7
There's just over a month until the exams. It's better to sit the exam and get a C than it is to not sit it at all. You can drop at A2. If it's dragging down your other grades, and this isn't something I would normally suggest, just focus less on history. The fact you're considering dropping shows that you probably aren't too bothered what grade you get. Dropping a subject this late though is frankly stupid.
Original post by Perfectionist
It seems logical to me to have 3 A's on my UCAS rather than 3 average and a s*** one.

@Chinaberry: British Political History, 1945-90: Consensus and Conflict
@Music2love: Problem is, I am nowhere near a B right now. Think.. D.

This is exactly what I did. Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I really hated biology and got AAAU (The U was 6UMS of an E... so glad it wasn't certified). Only I applied for engineering which isn't competitive and all they really care about is how good you are at maths. And so I have picked up AS Further Maths which has helped strength my application. However my advice is to put History on hold. Do well in your 3 others and on UCAS put pending for History and ask school to not be entered/withdraw from your June Exam. Then learn it in Summer Holidays/ Autumn Term and then you'll have your 3.5 A levels. I would definitely check that it won't disadvantage your application though because law sounds very competitive!!
Reply 9
Do they essays contribute to your grade? If not tell your teacher you will not be completing the next few because you are behind in other subjects and if they say that is not acceptable either don't do them anyway or tell them you will have to drop it.
@fwed1: No, my teacher for this specific module is an absolute control-freak and I can imagine his reaction tomorrow already. Especially when he set this one two weeks ago, but with parents evening my other 9 teacher's wanted to test us at this point too.
Original post by Perfectionist
I cannot cope any more. My History modules (Civil Rights, The Cold War & British Political History) are simply not interesting, and the 3 page essays I am set every week pull my performance down in other subjects (Economics, English Lit & Politics). I am predicted AAAB (B for History) but having just looked at my planner where I'm behind with four other essays and my report all because of this one subject.. I can forget about even getting a C for any of them. I really WANT to drop it but am worried about the consequences. Currently got Law on my mind for uni. Any advice?

Btw. I don't understand how I got A*- A's in my GCSE's. What the hell happened?

EDIT:I am fluent in Dutch as I was born and raised there. What if I take the exam for it next year in order to make up for the missing 4th subject?

Law=History.

Quick Reply

Latest