The Student Room Group

Dissertation/Thesis question

Hi, I'm in my second year at university & have been asked to think about a topic for my dissertation for my final year. I want to do a Secondary PGCE course after I graduate but I would really like to do my dissertation about something that isn't education related at all.

So my question is, will my choice of dissertation affect my chances of being accepted onto a PGCE course? Will it be frowned upon if I don't do something that I could at least use in a school?

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted to teach since I was 13 but considering my PGCE year will be education education education, I just want to do something different while I still have the chance to :smile:
You haven't told us your degree..?
No, it will be fine. To be honest, nothing that's worthy of a dissertation should be able to be taught in a school. This is the pinnacle of your university work so it's going to be hard and long.
Reply 3
I'm doing Religious studies w/Philosophy :smile: I want to do my dissertation on the religious group, the Unification Church (The Moonies) :P
Reply 4
You can do it on whatever you like :smile: What's your degree in?

What you teach in schools will be nowhere near the level you're at right now :p: Write a dissertation on something you will enjoy researching and writing about and you will get a higher mark :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by hothedgehog
No, it will be fine. To be honest, nothing that's worthy of a dissertation should be able to be taught in a school. This is the pinnacle of your university work so it's going to be hard and long.

That's good, thanks :smile:

What if during my PGCE interview they ask 'What is the topic of your dissertation & how could you make the topic accesible for school children?'

Could I say that although my topic wouldn't really be suitable for school pupils, actually working on my dissertation gave me skills I think would make me a better teacher such as good time management, working to a deadline, self-discipline etc...
Reply 6
You can do it on whatever you like What's your degree in?

Religious studies & philosophy :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Gallifrey
Hi, I'm in my second year at university & have been asked to think about a topic for my dissertation for my final year. I want to do a Secondary PGCE course after I graduate but I would really like to do my dissertation about something that isn't education related at all.

So my question is, will my choice of dissertation affect my chances of being accepted onto a PGCE course? Will it be frowned upon if I don't do something that I could at least use in a school?

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted to teach since I was 13 but considering my PGCE year will be education education education, I just want to do something different while I still have the chance to :smile:

My dissertation was on the economics of US health care reform.

(So, no :tongue: )
Original post by Gallifrey
That's good, thanks :smile:

What if during my PGCE interview they ask 'What is the topic of your dissertation & how could you make the topic accesible for school children?'

Could I say that although my topic wouldn't really be suitable for school pupils, actually working on my dissertation gave me skills I think would make me a better teacher such as good time management, working to a deadline, self-discipline etc...

Yes. At interview as long as you can spin it appropriately and well then that's fine. Give a coherent and strong answer and you'll be fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending