The Student Room Group

New tuition fee(uni) rules

Hiya,

As you probably all have heard the tuition fees have been increased from around £3200/year to £6000-9000 that would set date for students in UK unis applying september 2012.

Universities where also supposed to set £9000/year in 'exceptional cases'

But now around 8/10 unis have set sept 2012 fees for the maximum allowed(£9000/year).

I read in the guardian that the government was not expecting and does not either want universities to set the maximum fees randomly(all casrs not exceptional).

Also the government will have to do teacher grant cuts etc and will have to do that due to that their costs get higher when they set max fee,

I have some questions i would like to get answered please:
1. Do you think the gov will change something?
2. Do you think they will change the fees back to the old fees?(£3200/yr)
3. If yes, how? - If no, what will they change? (cuz uni put 9k in all cases!)
4. Off topic a bir but i heard a large number of students will get 1/3yr of a degrrr waived(free), read it in guardian, is it true?
5. Any other thoughts?

Thanks alot for answering!
/Mmaattrriixx
No one can predict the future. They once said you wouldn't have to pay for going to university. Then tuition fees were introduced. They said they wern't going to put fees up, they went up. I doubt it will change for a long while now though.
I bet over 90% of unis charge £9K a year and the govt won't do a thing about it.
Reply 3
Original post by hypocriticaljap
I bet over 90% of unis charge £9K a year and the govt won't do a thing about it.

Well by charging 9k the unis have to guarantee funding for poor students and will lose some of their own gov funding to.
and how will this be enforced?
Of 17 "new" unis that were polled only 1 said they were not going to charge £9K.
Reply 5
The government knew full well that most universities would charge £9000. It was obvious especially for the top 20-30.
Reply 6
1. No
2. No
3. n/a
4. Its a proposal, not yet agreed
5. It'll be the same routine as when topup fees came in
Reply 7
1. There are several rumours around. One is a cut to student numbers (perhaps using minimum tariffs?). Another is primary legislation to force prices down. Either way they'll need to do something otherwise the books won't balance because of the extra cost of the loan book.
2. No
3. See Above
4. Unlikely. There WERE proposals to give students who had been on FSM a "free" first year - but they seem to have bitten the dust. More widely govt is trying to encourage unis to use fee waivers rather than bursaries as they drive down costs to treasury of student loan book.
5. It's a bloody mess - largely because a lot of it was back of a postage stamp stuff.
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
No one can predict the future. They once said you wouldn't have to pay for going to university. Then tuition fees were introduced. They said they wern't going to put fees up, they went up. I doubt it will change for a long while now though.

You missed out the bit where Mr Clegg promised to get rid of tutuion fees altogether, then did the complete opposite after getting into power and trippled them :teehee:
Reply 9
Original post by missgeorgia
You missed out the bit where Mr Clegg promised to get rid of tutuion fees altogether, then did the complete opposite after getting into power and trippled them :teehee:

Did the lib dems only win 52 seats at the general election or did I miss a meeting?

Clegg's Tongue -------> Camerons Ass = Conservatives In Power
Original post by Quady
Did the lib dems only win 52 seats at the general election or did I miss a meeting?

:yes: But they joined forces with the Conservatives, who gained the most seats(?), and hence Cllegg gained power :rolleyes:

Yeah but the Lib dems are irrelevant
Original post by Quady

Exactly
Reply 14
Original post by andy5788
1. There are several rumours around. One is a cut to student numbers (perhaps using minimum tariffs?). Another is primary legislation to force prices down. Either way they'll need to do something otherwise the books won't balance because of the extra cost of the loan book.
2. No
3. See Above
4. Unlikely. There WERE proposals to give students who had been on FSM a "free" first year - but they seem to have bitten the dust. More widely govt is trying to encourage unis to use fee waivers rather than bursaries as they drive down costs to treasury of student loan book.
5. It's a bloody mess - largely because a lot of it was back of a postage stamp stuff.

OK, so they will for sure do something beneficial for us students starting sept2012? :smile:
no
Original post by Aj12
Well by charging 9k the unis have to guarantee funding for poor students and will lose some of their own gov funding to.

But they would still be making more money than by charging £7k and not needing the guarantee funding for poorer students.

I think it is pretty obvious that most unis will at least want to, and probably try to, charge £9k. To think otherwise is quite naive really.
Reply 17
Any new decisions been made bout this lately?

Waived year? Minimun tariff entries?
Reply 18
Original post by mmaattrriixx
Any new decisions been made bout this lately?

Waived year? Minimun tariff entries?

Are you really bad at following the news or just lazy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending