The Student Room Group

HELP: 2 Languages too much? 5 AS Levels?

At the moment I am going to be doing French, Spanish, English Language and Geography at AS/A Level. I am worried about doing two languages as I may get mixed it, it may be too much work and I may focus my efforts of one over the other.
I have already decided, for now, that I would like to go to a university to study a language with English Language/Geography. But do I need two AS/A levels in languages to do a language degree if I already have 3 GCSEs in language at A/A* grade, would one suffice?
If I did not do French (I prefer Spanish) I may take History (A* GCSE), Maths (A GCSE) or Chemistry (A* GCSE) instead - are they hard A Levels?
I'm going to talk to the Head of Languages on Wednesday to see what she thinks but, I need to decide before the 8th April (Accepting deadline) so by the end of this week preferably.

Also, with the 4 subjects (Spanish, French, Geography and English Language) would taking a 5th subject be out of the question?

PLEASE HELP ME, THANK YOU :colone:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I do both those languages for A level, it's not hard at all as long as you do enough work! :smile:
Reply 2
I think whether or not you get mixed up between the two languages would really vary from person to person - how are you coping with doing 3 at the moment? If you're fine, I expect you won't experience major problems in that area at A level.
You can also definitely get onto a joint honours degree with a language with just the one language at A level - I've got 4 offers for English Literature and Spanish with Spanish as my only A level language. However, two languages would be better if you thought that there was any chance you might change your mind and want to do a Modern Languages degree. Which subjects you like can change a lot at A level!
Reply 3
Original post by Lewis :D
I do both those languages for A level, it's not hard at all as long as you do enough work! :smile:

Okay thanks, I will work really hard so I suppose it wouldn't be a problem :smile:

Original post by sanksta
I think whether or not you get mixed up between the two languages would really vary from person to person - how are you coping with doing 3 at the moment? If you're fine, I expect you won't experience major problems in that area at A level.
You can also definitely get onto a joint honours degree with a language with just the one language at A level - I've got 4 offers for English Literature and Spanish with Spanish as my only A level language. However, two languages would be better if you thought that there was any chance you might change your mind and want to do a Modern Languages degree. Which subjects you like can change a lot at A level!

Well I finished my French in Year 10 and got an A and currently only study Spanish and Italian and I am targeted at A*s so I'm doing fine. That's a point because I am not set yet on what course I'll take at uni, thanks :smile:

With the 4 subjects (Spanish, French, Geography and English Language) would taking a 5th subject be out of the question?
Reply 4
If you're looking to do a language at uni, two languages at A-level would look really really good.
Reply 5
Original post by lukas1051
If you're looking to do a language at uni, two languages at A-level would look really really good.

I thought it would :smile:
Reply 6
I'd say 5 A levels is too much, I started off with 5 (I was forced as Welsh bac is compulsory) but I managed to eventually drop it, with 5 A levels I had no time to myself to do anything
Reply 7
Original post by Lewis :D
I'd say 5 A levels is too much, I started off with 5 (I was forced as Welsh bac is compulsory) but I managed to eventually drop it, with 5 A levels I had no time to myself to do anything

Okay.
I just think that my choices are very language-orientated and I'd like to do Maths or History aswell :/
Do Maths! It can be a challenge but on the whole, a good one to have :smile: Might make a nice change from writing and essays too.
...two languages sound good though, if that's what you want at uni. But maybe focusing on one could help, like you pointed out. Maybe find some people who did take two languages at your school and see how they found it?
Reply 9
Original post by physicsfuntimes
Do Maths! It can be a challenge but on the whole, a good one to have :smile: Might make a nice change from writing and essays too.
...two languages sound good though, if that's what you want at uni. But maybe focusing on one could help, like you pointed out. Maybe find some people who did take two languages at your school and see how they found it?

I love Maths at GCSE, algebra is my life <3

If I did the 5 at AS
- Spanish
- French
- English Language
- Geography
- Maths

and then dropped French (and possibly another subject) and just carried 3/4 onto A-Level?
I did both german and italian, and then they went and scheduled both exams for the same day. So i had one language in the morning and had to switch to the other for the afternoon. It was stressful, but ok in the end.
Original post by blurofthestars
I love Maths at GCSE, algebra is my life <3
If I did the 5 at AS
- Spanish
- French
- English Language
- Geography
- Maths

and then dropped French (and possibly another subject) and just carried 3/4 onto A-Level?

I recommend Maths at least at AS then, it'll mean you can have a break from all the writing (the essays can get a bit too much for some of my friends sometimes) and you'll have the next year to work out what you want to drop. Subjects can turn out really different to what you expect.. At the start of sixth form, I'd done loads of work exp for vet stuff and expected to drop physics the first year... A year later, I've got an offer for physics at uni and couldn't imagine a life without all that algebra :wink:

In the end it's all up to you. Having a few choices of which subject to drop sounds like a good idea though. Good luck :smile:
Original post by tigercallie
I did both german and italian, and then they went and scheduled both exams for the same day. So i had one language in the morning and had to switch to the other for the afternoon. It was stressful, but ok in the end.

That's a worry of mine aswell :s-smilie:

Original post by physicsfuntimes
I recommend Maths at least at AS then, it'll mean you can have a break from all the writing (the essays can get a bit too much for some of my friends sometimes) and you'll have the next year to work out what you want to drop. Subjects can turn out really different to what you expect.. At the start of sixth form, I'd done loads of work exp for vet stuff and expected to drop physics the first year... A year later, I've got an offer for physics at uni and couldn't imagine a life without all that algebra :wink:

In the end it's all up to you. Having a few choices of which subject to drop sounds like a good idea though. Good luck :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by blurofthestars
At the moment I am going to be doing French, Spanish, English Language and Geography at AS/A Level. I am worried about doing two languages as I may get mixed it, it may be too much work and I may focus my efforts of one over the other.
I have already decided, for now, that I would like to go to a university to study a language with English Language/Geography. But do I need two AS/A levels in languages to do a language degree if I already have 3 GCSEs in language at A/A* grade, would one suffice?
If I did not do French (I prefer Spanish) I may take History (A* GCSE), Maths (A GCSE) or Chemistry (A* GCSE) instead - are they hard A Levels?
I'm going to talk to the Head of Languages on Wednesday to see what she thinks but, I need to decide before the 8th April (Accepting deadline) so by the end of this week preferably.

Also, with the 4 subjects (Spanish, French, Geography and English Language) would taking a 5th subject be out of the question?

PLEASE HELP ME, THANK YOU :colone:

I'm taking very similar subjects to those except I do Economics instead of Geography. I think it's very helpful to have two languages, and if you can manage three at GCSE, I think you'll definitely be able to manage two at A Level. Languages aren't too hard as long as you enjoy them and are prepared to put the work in. However, if you feel you are better at History, Maths or Chemistry, there would be no problem in taking them, as for a Language course combined with something else, one language probably would suffice. Personally though, I would really strongly recommend doing two languages because they're really good A levels and very enjoyable :smile:

Regarding a fifth A level, I don't think it would be out of the question, but the advantages of doing one may be small if it affects your performance in your other subjects, as universities only specify 4AS and 3A2's.

Good luck :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't know what to do still!

French, Maths, Chemistry or Modern History with Spanish, English Language and Geography :frown:
Reply 15
Maths, Geography or History or Chemistry, French, Spanish

IMO, don't do English Language, unless you REALLY want to. I hope you already know that its content is very different from the GCSE so don't base doing it on how much you liked GCSE English Language. Two foreign languages are just as good for the Linguistics part, and Geography or History provide you with essay-writing skills, so there's no need for English Language IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest